[1.11] Adding a potion effect to a player

MSpace-Dev

Hey everyone,

So, all I need to do is add a potion effect to a player. I've managed to get the player object already, so I have access to that. I'm just not quite sure how to use addPotionEffect correctly. I've been trying many variations to get it to atleast accept it. But yeah, here is a very small part of my code. I've seen around the internet that they go Potion.getPotionByID(), or was it PotionEffect.getPotionByID()? Either way, it doesn't seem to be supported here.

for (EntityPlayer player : list) {
            player.addPotionEffect(); // Add effect here
}

Thanks!

Look for other uses of the method.

Right click -> References -> Find in Workspace

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

player.addPotionEffect(new PotionEffect(Potion.getPotionById(19), 100, 0));

Here is the example. 19 is id of potion which is equals to Poison, 100 is duration of potion 20ticks per second, so 100 is equals to 5 seconds. and 0 is a level of potion. (zero-based) so if you type 2 for level, it equals level 3 potion effect. You can get ids from net.minecraft.potion.Potion.java.

Edited by xwerswoodx

7 minutes ago, xwerswoodx said:

player.addPotionEffect(new PotionEffect(Potion.getPotionById(19), 100, 0));

Here is the example. 19 is id of potion which is equals to Poison, 100 is duration of potion 20ticks per second, so 100 is equals to 5 seconds. and 0 is a level of potion. (zero-based) so if you type 2 for level, it equals level 3 potion effect. You can get ids from net.minecraft.potion.Potion.java.

Bad modder, no cookie. Do not use hard coded IDs.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

1 minute ago, MSpace-Dev said:

@xwerswoodx As I said, I went to go look through the code, already figured that out, but thanks =p

@Draco18s What would you use instead of hardcoded IDs? The only code I found that used to give the potion effect used the IDs. Care to share an example that doesn't use them?

You know how Blocks.DIRT is a thing so you don't need to do Block.getBlockByID(1)?

Potion effects work the same way.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

Bad modder, no cookie. Do not use hard coded IDs.

I know MobEffects initialization. But he asked about 

"I've seen around the internet that they go Potion.getPotionByID(), or was it PotionEffect.getPotionByID()? Either way, it doesn't seem to be supported here."

So I answered him same way. Sorry bro but knowing "MobEffects" init doesn't make you good or bad modder. Anyway here is the code with "MobEffects" for "GOOD" mooders...

player.addPotionEffect(new PotionEffect(MobEffects.POISON, 100, 0));

• Like 2

1 minute ago, xwerswoodx said:

I know MobEffects initialization. But he asked about 

"I've seen around the internet that they go Potion.getPotionByID(), or was it PotionEffect.getPotionByID()? Either way, it doesn't seem to be supported here."

So I answered him same way.

The correct way to answer was to tell him to not use that method and to instead use MobEffects.

If this topic was not solved yet:

MinecraftServer server = FMLCommonHandler.instance().getMinecraftServerInstance();
List<EntityPlayer> list = Lists.newArrayList(server.getPlayerList().getPlayers());

for (EntityPlayer playerIn : list) //for each player in the player list
{
  playerIn.addPotionEffect(new PotionEffect(MobEffects /* don't get effect from ID, IDs can change */... effect, int... duration, int... amplifier, boolean... particles, boolean... isAmbient));
}

Hope I helped :)

Edited by Differentiation