[1.12.2] Conditional custom json recipes

Aarilight

I want conditional recipes, which only are registered if an item is present. (So that JEI won't show them). The recipes were already custom classes, because they're for my custom "crafting table". I need to implement this support via the json recipe system (so my options are limited to things I can do inside of Factory.parse, I believe.

What I tried so far:

1. Returning an output of ItemStack.EMPTY (just shows up as a recipe with no output in JEI)

2. Returning null instead of a valid IRecipe in the factory (crashes, which I kinda expected)
3. Setting a slot in the recipe to an IngredientNever (basically the same thing as Choonster's) (Just shows up as an empty slot in JEI)

The other options I can think of:

1. Throw a JsonSyntaxException. The game doesn't crash if I do this, and the recipe isn't registered, but it will spam the log.

2. Figure out some way of hiding the recipes in JEI. (I've looked into this a bit but haven't found anything yet)

3. Figure out a way to deregister recipes (potentially the same way that CraftTweaker does it? I haven't looked into this yet) 

I'm not really too fond of these other solutions. Is there a simple solution that I'm missing? If not, do you think it would be reasonable to suggest forge to allow Factory.parse to return null and silently skip the recipe it in that case?

Edited by Aarilight

I'm not really too fond of that solution either because it requires adding additional information to the json, things which I just want to happen by default for this recipe type.

Also, I phrased the initial post wrong, I said "if an item is present", I should have said "if an item in a given ore dictionary is present"

My current recipe factory actually supports using the first ItemStack in an ore dictionary as it's result, and I'm combining that with an ore dictionary ingredient.

I guess I might as well post my current recipe:

{
	"type": "soulus:composer_shaped",
	"time": 16,
	"pattern": [
		"eee",
		"ede",
		"eee"
	],
	"key": {
		"d": {
			"type": "forge:ore_dict",
			"ore": "dustLead"
		},
		"e": {
			"item": "soulus:ingot_endersteel"
		}
	},
	"result": {
		"type": "forge:ore_dict",
		"ore": "ingotLead",
		"count": 8
	}
}

Everything is implemented and works except for the issues with not being able to fail it silently.

If there really is no other solution I'll add in that new condition, I guess.

Edited by Aarilight

If the recipe is for your custom crafting table, does that mean you're calling CraftingHelper.findFiles yourself to load the recipes? If so, you could check that the recipe's output is non-empty between loading and registering it.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

No, I register them with the rest of the normal recipes (via _factories.json) ... the instances simply don't match unless they're used in my crafting table.

The reason I do it that way is my crafting table also supports all vanilla recipes. It's an autocrafting table =P

Edited by Aarilight

Then I think the least hackish way to handle this would probably be adding the condition to your recipes.

If you really don't want to do that, you could probably integrate with JEI to hide your uncraftable recipes.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

I actually ended up just deregistering any recipes which were instances of my table's recipes and had an empty output. I realised that the major downside to this way was the advancement issues, and since the recipes are optional depending on mods anyway, having advancements relating to them (if I were to ever make them) wouldn't even really make sense. If I ever need to jump over that hurdle, I'll rewrite this then. Thanks for your help. =)

Out of curiosity, do you think a recipe factory returning null would make sense to fail silently? Cause I still think that would have been the most elegant solution... maybe I should make a forge issue/pr, but I feel like that would be a controversial change? If there would be people that disagree with a change like that I don't think my needs here are important enough to warrant it.

57 minutes ago, Aarilight said:

Out of curiosity, do you think a recipe factory returning null would make sense to fail silently? Cause I still think that would have been the most elegant solution... maybe I should make a forge issue/pr, but I feel like that would be a controversial change? If there would be people that disagree with a change like that I don't think my needs here are important enough to warrant it.

It could be useful in some circumstances, but I'm not sure how many people would actually need it.

It probably wouldn't hurt to open an issue/PR, the worst that can happen is that it's closed because Lex/mezz don't see a wide use for it.

A few notes: 1) You can't always trust the first oredict entry to be a valid itemstack. You may need to expand it to a random one.

2) https://github.com/MinecraftForge/MinecraftForge/blob/1.12.x/src/main/java/net/minecraftforge/common/crafting/IConditionFactory.java

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

Here's where I get the ItemStack:

private static ItemStack getOreDictItem (JsonObject result, JsonContext context) {
    if (JsonUtils.getString(result, "type", "").equals("forge:ore_dict")) {
        String ore = JsonUtils.getString(result, "ore");
        ItemStack stack = OreDictionary.getOres(ore).stream().findAny().orElse(ItemStack.EMPTY).copy();
        stack.setCount(JsonUtils.getInt(result, "count", 1));
        int data = JsonUtils.getInt(result, "data", -1);
        if (data > -1) stack.setItemDamage(data);
        return stack;

} else {
        return CraftingHelper.getItemStack(result, context);
    }
}

Would this not work for it? Should I be looping through it manually to find a valid stack? As of now I've made 8 recipes that seem to work with it, but I guess if the list could include empty item stacks I should probably do that? I would think that would be a mod bug tho, if empty stacks are being added to an ore dictionary (and should probably be reported to those mods)?

Also, conditions were mentioned previously in this conversation. The reason I didn't want to go for them is afaik, it requires adding additional information to each json recipe. It would have to be a recipe condition, as it's based on whether the "result" property in the json is a valid ore dictionary item. So basically, what would happen is the condition would check if the result !isEmpty(), and if it is, it would pass the condition, and then this code would be run again when the recipe is actually built.

Since I'm doing this additional parsing as part of the recipe, to me it makes sense to allow failing during that.