[1.12.2] [SOLVED] Multiblock chunk load

Ipsissimus418

I currently have a working multiblock with a mixture of ticking and non-ticking TEs.

The main block (heart/master) is a ticking TE with a public method interruptStructure which basically tells it to do a scan of the multiblock.

All the other blocks are non-ticking TEs which when block.onBlockAdded is called, find the nearest reachable heart and call master.interruptStructure. They do something similar for when the block/te is invalidated.

So I've got a way to say hello-block.onBlockAdded and goodbye-te.invalidate

This seems to work nicely until someone builds the multiblock over a chunk boundary :(

The problems occurs when the player moves away from the multiblock and returns.

When the first chunk loads and it contains the heart, then the heart does an initial scan and fails since some of the multiblock is in the unloaded chunk.

The player moves further forward, the next chunk loads and then the rest of the multiblock is loaded, but cannot say hello because there is no block.onBlockAdded for a chunk load.

My solution - which I don't like - is to make them all tickable, then on the first tick of the non-heart blocks, find the master and poke it. All subsequent ticks for that TE are then no-ops.

But of course I've just registered possibly 60 new ticking TEs per multiblock - which doesn't seem right.

So does anyone have any suggestions of a way to fix this that doesn't involve making them all ITickable?

Possible alternative: Keep track of which chunks have heart TEs and then when a neighbouring chunk loads, use that list to force the heart to rescan.

Thanks

Ipsis

Edited by Ipsissimus418
Change title to solved

So TileEntity::validate did the trick.

First try it got called on both the server and the client - which created a very impressive stack overflow.

Limiting that to the server - which is where I needed to do it - allowed me to walk to the master.

One initial concern was the algorithm I use to walk to the master was travelling over other TEs in the same chunk which had not yet had their validate methods called yet. However as I only use their position to determine the path and never try to access them, I don't think that is an issue.

I'm now horribly embarrassed for investigating every other method in block and TE and completely overlooking the "validate" one.

Thanks diesieben07