Helmet Overlays

ashtonr12

If you want to see how it's implemented, take a look there:

net.minecraft.client.gui.GuiIngame.java, line 85

It's hard coded and there's no rendering handles around for you to use. The only option I see is to make your own TickHandler, which should receive the RENDER TickType. Put your rendering methods in the tickEnd(...) method and monitor the client if he's wearing your helmet.

Edit: I forgot that it will overlay the current HUD elements. That might be bit of a problem indeed ... Ah well.

Well there's no other option. You either render it with in your TickHandler class ( but your helmet overlay will be rendered over existing HUD elements, like experience bar, hearts and stuff ) or you modify the stock Minecraft GUI classes which handle this. If you're going to modify the method rendering the HUD, just add another condition and copy the method that renders the pumpkin overlay changing the name of the texture. I don't think the TickHandler will be of use in this case, because just like I've said it would cover all of your existing HUD elements.

It's not really that complicated. The reason why I didn't explain a thing on how to implement a TickHandler is because I didn't know if you want to use them :) It's just a copy-paste job, I'm sure you'd handle that ;) I'm sorry to hear you're eventually dumping the idea though.

Cheers!

ok so i am slightly confused, probably because i am so tired. Thanks for all your help so far.

Is is possible without editing the base minecraft files to add a custom overlay to my self created helmet?

if yes how? example code or suggestions?

if no thanks for your help so far :)

Use examples, i have aspergers.

Examples make sense to me.

Alrighty then ... with this code you will get the following result ( in my case when wearing a golden helmet - just change it ):

spzcK3Hl.png

Bear in mind though, that it will cover all of the existing HUD elements ( just as in the image ). Also the helmet overlay is not drawn when a menu is opened, because that would cover the entire menu :) Here's the code for the renderer:

http://paste.minecraftforge.net/view/6cff4e04

Also, add the following line in your mod init method:

TickRegistry.registerTickHandler(new RenderHUD(), Side.CLIENT);

That should do the trick. Let me know if that's what were you looking for :)

WOW!

you must be very advanced at this if you came up with that!

is it possible to change the overlay? to say a see through circle in the middle and  black area around the outside?

i also notice that the item bar is behind the overlay? and when you put on a pumkin head the item bar is infront of the overlay?

dont misunderstand me i am immensly gratefull :D i was just wondering if it is possible to change the black squidy areas?

Use examples, i have aspergers.

Examples make sense to me.

It's just a matter of a custom texture file. Make your new overlay with transparency ( in GIMP for instance, but could be pretty much anything ), save it in PNG format and paste it into jars/bin/minecraft.jar/... Then in my paste change this part:

%blur%/misc/pumpkinblur.png

... into:

%blur%/<your path to the new texture inside the minecraft.jar>

i also notice that the item bar is behind the overlay? and when you put on a pumkin head the item bar is infront of the overlay?

That's what I was rambling all about all this time :D This method has one big disadvantage: you will have all of these HUD elements like: experience bar, handy inventory at the bottom of the screen, health and hunger levels covered by the overlay texture. There's no way around it unfortunately. Unless you modify the Minecraft. Or a miracle happens and the Forge team puts some render handlers in there to have some control over layering the overlays but I don't think it's gonna happen any time soon :)

Cheers

But I've told you that already:

It's just a matter of a custom texture file. Make your new overlay with transparency ( in GIMP for instance, but could be pretty much anything ), save it in PNG format and paste it into jars/bin/minecraft.jar/... Then in my paste change this part:

%blur%/misc/pumpkinblur.png

... into:

%blur%/<your path to the new texture inside the minecraft.jar>

You need to put your texture file inside of the minecraft.jar file. Open it up with any archiver like WinZIP, 7-Zip and paste your texture in there.

I am using a custom helmet

package ashtonsmod.common;

import net.minecraft.item.EnumArmorMaterial;
import net.minecraft.item.ItemArmor;
import net.minecraft.item.ItemStack;
import net.minecraftforge.common.IArmorTextureProvider;

public class MinersHelmet extends ItemArmor implements IArmorTextureProvider{

public MinersHelmet(int par1,EnumArmorMaterial par2EnumArmorMaterial, int par3, int par4) {
                super(par1, par2EnumArmorMaterial, par3, par4);
        }

@Override
    	public String getTextureFile(){
    		return CommonProxy.items_png;
         }

public String getArmorTextureFile(ItemStack par1){
                if ( par1.itemID==ashtonsmod.ObsidianHelmet.shiftedIndex){
                        return "/armor/AbsorbingArmor_1.png";
                }return "/armor/AbsorbingArmor_2.png";
        }
}

however it worked before i used the overlays? i have provided code anyway in case i have made some stupid error.

Overlay code

package ashtonsmod.common;

import java.util.EnumSet;

import net.minecraft.block.Block;
import net.minecraft.client.Minecraft;
import net.minecraft.client.gui.GuiChat;
import net.minecraft.client.gui.ScaledResolution;
import net.minecraft.client.renderer.Tessellator;
import net.minecraft.item.Item;
import net.minecraft.item.ItemStack;

import org.lwjgl.opengl.GL11;

import cpw.mods.fml.common.ITickHandler;
import cpw.mods.fml.common.TickType;

public class MiningHelmetOverlay implements ITickHandler
{
        @Override
        public void tickStart(EnumSet<TickType> type, Object... tickData)
        {

}

@Override
        public void tickEnd(EnumSet<TickType> type, Object... tickData)
        {
                if(Minecraft.getMinecraft().thePlayer == null || Minecraft.getMinecraft().currentScreen != null)
                        return;

ItemStack helmet = Minecraft.getMinecraft().thePlayer.inventory.armorItemInSlot(3);
                if(Minecraft.getMinecraft().gameSettings.thirdPersonView == 0 && helmet != null && helmet.itemID == ashtonsmod.MinersHelmet.shiftedIndex)
                {
                        GL11.glPushAttrib(GL11.GL_ALL_ATTRIB_BITS);

Tessellator t = Tessellator.instance;

ScaledResolution scale = new ScaledResolution(Minecraft.getMinecraft().gameSettings, Minecraft.getMinecraft().displayWidth, Minecraft.getMinecraft().displayHeight);
                        int width = scale.getScaledWidth();
                        int height = scale.getScaledHeight();

GL11.glDisable(GL11.GL_DEPTH_TEST);
                        GL11.glDepthMask(false);
                        GL11.glBlendFunc(GL11.GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL11.GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA);
                        GL11.glColor4f(1.0F, 1.0F, 1.0F, 1.0F);
                        GL11.glDisable(GL11.GL_ALPHA_TEST);
                        GL11.glBindTexture(GL11.GL_TEXTURE_2D, Minecraft.getMinecraft().renderEngine.getTexture("%blur%/armor/MiningHelmetblur.png"));

t.startDrawingQuads();
                        t.addVertexWithUV(0.0D, (double)height, 90.0D, 0.0D, 1.0D);
                        t.addVertexWithUV((double)width, (double)height, 90.0D, 1.0D, 1.0D);
                        t.addVertexWithUV((double)width, 0.0D, 90.0D, 1.0D, 0.0D);
                        t.addVertexWithUV(0.0D, 0.0D, 90.0D, 0.0D, 0.0D);
                        t.draw();

GL11.glPopAttrib();
                }
        }

@Override
        public EnumSet<TickType> ticks()
        {
                return EnumSet.of(TickType.RENDER);
        }

@Override
        public String getLabel()