[1.12.2] Entity AI not attacking (methods not getting called)

Turbo Pig

Simply put, my mob's attack AI is never called to execute (i.e. the shouldExecute method and, as a result, the startExecuting method, are never called).

Essentially, the mob starts executing its EntityAINearestAttackableTarget task, but then never reaches its EntityAIAttackMelee task.  The shouldExecute method in the attack task is never called once the target-finding task is executed, but is called a few times before.

By removing the target-finding task, the mob does attempt to execute the attack task.  However, without a target, the task naturally fails the shouldExecute check.

What is going wrong?  I have copied the skeleton's AI tasks (as seen in the class below) to see if my implementation of the AI tasks was at fault, but it made no difference.  I have thought of changing the priority of the attack task to precede the target-finding task, but vanilla mobs all have their attack tasks afterwards.  Why is it different in this case?

Entity Class:

public class EntityTestMob extends EntityMob {

public EntityTestMob(World world) {
        super(world);
        this.setSize(0.6f, 1.99f);
    }

@Override
    protected void initEntityAI() {
        this.tasks.addTask(1, new EntityAISwimming(this));
        this.tasks.addTask(2, new EntityAIRestrictSun(this));
        this.tasks.addTask(3, new EntityAIFleeSun(this, 1));
        this.tasks.addTask(3, new EntityAIAvoidEntity(this, EntityWolf.class, 6f, 1, 1.2));
        this.tasks.addTask(5, new EntityAIWanderAvoidWater(this, 1));
        this.tasks.addTask(6, new EntityAIWatchClosest(this, EntityPig.class, 8f));
        this.tasks.addTask(6, new EntityAILookIdle(this));

this.targetTasks.addTask(1, new EntityAIHurtByTarget(this, false, new Class[0]));
        this.targetTasks.addTask(2, new EntityAINearestAttackableTarget(this, EntityPig.class, true));
        this.targetTasks.addTask(3, new EntityAIAttackMelee(this, 1, false));
    }

@Override
    protected void applyEntityAttributes() {
        super.applyEntityAttributes();
        this.getEntityAttribute(SharedMonsterAttributes.FOLLOW_RANGE).setBaseValue(32);
        this.getEntityAttribute(SharedMonsterAttributes.MOVEMENT_SPEED).setBaseValue(0.25);
        this.getEntityAttribute(SharedMonsterAttributes.ATTACK_DAMAGE).setBaseValue(3);
    }

}

Note: The AI targets pigs so I can test if it works while still in creative mode.  Changing its target to the player makes no difference.

There are two task lists for a reason. The targeting is separate. So I don't think you should add the melee AI to the targetTasks, but rather to the regular tasks list.

Also, generally the priority means that if a higher priority (lower priority number) task is already executing then it will prevent yours. So you want to give the melee a priority that makes sense. There is also a concept of "mutex" bits which further controls how different AI works together. I explain this more in my tutorial: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/p/minecraft-forge-1721710-custom-entity-ai.html 

Edited by jabelar

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

There are also mutex bits, which control if two tasks are allowed to run together (regardless of priority)

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.