Creating a library mod along with my main mod

NovaViper

I'm trying to create a mod alongside with my main mod that stores some of the most used Forge methods (ie methods involving item creation, block creation, etc.). I'm also trying to avoid having the two mods complied together under the same zip folder whenever I compile the mods. I'm currently using the Eclipse IDE and Forge 1.12.2-14.23.2.2615.

Main Developer and Owner of Zero Quest

Visit the Wiki for more information

If I helped anyone, please give me a applaud and a thank you!

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Ok so, this bit here (redacted for simplicity):

from zipTree(jar.outputs.getFiles().getSingleFile()).matching {
    exclude 'com/draco18s/ores/**', 'com/draco18s/industry/**'
}

This removes my "actual mod" from being included in a compiled jar file. In this case, it excludes the folder com/draco18s/ores and com/draco18s/industry, as we only want the library in this jar.

Then this bit here:

include 'com/draco18s/ores/**', 'assets/harderores/**', 'cog_config/**'
    exclude '**.xcf'
}

Makes sure to only include com/draco18s/ores, and its associated assets. The exclude line makes sure not to include large, layered, GIMP image files that aren't actually used by the mod (it's a template for the icons actually used). Your gradle file will already have one task that builds everything. You can rename it and modify the include/exclude as appropriate, then duplicate and modify again, using a new task name.

At the bottom, these bits:

oresJar.dependsOn('reobfJar')

set up to make sure that gradle does all of the appropriate compilation tasks in the proper order.

Lastly, this is a task that does a full compile (builds all the jars, redacted slightly for simplicity):

task releaseJars(type: Copy) {
    from coreJarNoCog
    from oresJar
    rename '-(.*)jar', '.jar'
    rename '-(.*)zip', '.zip'
    into '.'
}

This task will already exist in your gradle file, you just need to add the from lines so that a full build builds all of your other jar tasks.

Edited by Draco18s
  • Like 2

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

I did something like this:

buildscript {
    repositories {
        jcenter()
        maven { url = "http://files.minecraftforge.net/maven" }
    }
    dependencies {
        classpath 'net.minecraftforge.gradle:ForgeGradle:2.3-SNAPSHOT'
    }
}
apply plugin: 'net.minecraftforge.gradle.forge'
//Only edit below this line, the above code adds and enables the necessary things for Forge to be setup.

def libVersion      = "1"
def majorVersion    = "0"
def minorVersion    = "1"
//bug patch or testing versions
def tkcraftVersion  = "f"
def prePend = "1.12.2-"
def packageVersion  = libVersion+"."+majorVersion+"."+minorVersion+tkcraftVersion

tkcraftVersion = libVersion+"."+majorVersion+"."+minorVersion+tkcraftVersion

version = ""
group= "com.novaviper.ecore" // http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-naming-conventions.html
archivesBaseName = prePend+"EclipseCore"+packageVersion

sourceCompatibility = targetCompatibility = '1.8' // Need this here so eclipse task generates correctly.
compileJava {
    sourceCompatibility = targetCompatibility = '1.8'
}

minecraft {
    version = "1.12.2-14.23.2.2615"
    runDir = "run"

// the mappings can be changed at any time, and must be in the following format.
    // snapshot_YYYYMMDD   snapshot are built nightly.
    // stable_#            stables are built at the discretion of the MCP team.
    // Use non-default mappings at your own risk. they may not always work.
    // simply re-run your setup task after changing the mappings to update your workspace.
    mappings = "snapshot_20171003"
    // makeObfSourceJar = false // an Srg named sources jar is made by default. uncomment this to disable.
    replace "{@version:lib}":libVersion,"{@version:tkcraft}":tkcraftVersion,"required-after:ecore":("required-after:ecore@["+libVersion+",]"),"/*{uncomment}":"","{uncomment}*/":""
}

dependencies {
    // you may put jars on which you depend on in ./libs
    // or you may define them like so..
    //compile "some.group:artifact:version:classifier"
    //compile "some.group:artifact:version"

// real examples
    //compile 'com.mod-buildcraft:buildcraft:6.0.8:dev'  // adds buildcraft to the dev env
    //compile 'com.googlecode.efficient-java-matrix-library:ejml:0.24' // adds ejml to the dev env

// the 'provided' configuration is for optional dependencies that exist at compile-time but might not at runtime.
    //provided 'com.mod-buildcraft:buildcraft:6.0.8:dev'

// the deobf configurations:  'deobfCompile' and 'deobfProvided' are the same as the normal compile and provided,
    // except that these dependencies get remapped to your current MCP mappings
    //deobfCompile 'com.mod-buildcraft:buildcraft:6.0.8:dev'
    //deobfProvided 'com.mod-buildcraft:buildcraft:6.0.8:dev'

// for more info...
    // http://www.gradle.org/docs/current/userguide/artifact_dependencies_tutorial.html
    // http://www.gradle.org/docs/current/userguide/dependency_management.html

}

processResources
{
    // this will ensure that this task is redone when the versions change.
    inputs.property "version", project.version
    inputs.property "mcversion", project.minecraft.version

// replace stuff in mcmod.info, nothing else
    from(sourceSets.main.resources.srcDirs) {
        include 'mcmod.info'

// replace version and mcversion
        expand 'version':project.version, 'mcversion':project.minecraft.version
    }

// copy everything else, thats not the mcmod.info
        exclude 'mcmod.info'
    }
}

task eCoreJar(type: Jar) {
    baseName = prePend+'EclipseCore-v'+libVersion

from('etc/lib') {
        include '*.info'
        expand 'version': libVersion, 'mcversion': project.minecraft.version
    }

exclude 'com/novaviper/terrakoncraft/**', 'mcmod.info', 'TODO.txt', 'assets/**', 'config/**'
    }
}

task terrakonCraftJar(type: Jar) {
    baseName = prePend+'TerrakonCraft-'+tkcraftVersion

from('etc/tkcraft') {
        include '*.info'
        expand 'version': tkcraftVersion, 'mcversion': project.minecraft.version
    }

include 'com/novaviper/terrakoncraft/**', 'assets/terrakoncraft/**'
    }
}

eCoreJar.dependsOn('reobfJar')
terrakonCraftJar.dependsOn('reobfJar')

from eCoreJar
    from terrakonCraftJar
    //one of these lines crashes it?
    into '.'
}

task fullBuild(type: Delete) {
    delete jar
}

fullBuild.dependsOn('releaseJars')

I haven't gotten the chance to try it out, since I've been busy with school work. But something like this would suffice, right?

Looks correct.

15 minutes ago, NovaViper said:

What about the mcmod.info file? Is there a way to generate multiple versions for each mod?

I created a folder (called etc/) that I then created subfolders for and used those...let me grab how that works...

https://github.com/Draco18s/ReasonableRealism/blob/master/build.gradle#L99-L102

I never included the etc/ folder on my repo, but you should be able to work that part out yourself:

Capture.PNG

27 minutes ago, NovaViper said:

Ah, that's what that's for. Hm.. Would it be possible to have that in the assets folder (src/main/resources) so I don't have to clone each file into the etc/ folder?

You could. But you'd have to put them in subfolders, because otherwise you would have multiple files with the same name in the same directory.

18 minutes ago, NovaViper said:

Also, when I want to build the project, do I run the normal gradlew build  command or run one of the newly defined tasks in the build.gradle?

gradlew build fullBuild

or

gradlew build terrakonCraftJar

or

gradlew build eCoreJar

7 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

You could. But you'd have to put them in subfolders, because otherwise you would have multiple files with the same name in the same directory.

I just placed them in subfolders, but Minecraft/Forge didn't seem to pick them up at all D: 

Here's the directory: https://imgur.com/rNUlJPw

The build commands seem to fail for some reason when it gets to releaseJars.. with this error

And I get 4 files: two of them (1.12.2-TerrakonCraft-1.0.1f.jar and 1.12.2-EclipseCore-v1.jar) are each of the mods, and the other two (1.12.2-EclipseCore1.0.1f.jar and 1.12.2-EclipseCore1.0.1f-sources.jar) have stuff for both of the mods. Another strange thing is that 1.12.2-EclipseCore-v1.jar has the code for Eclipse Core only, but still has the etc/ subfolders of both mods.

Finally.. I'm not sure if this is normal but several new folders (along with the libs folder, which the mods appear in) appeared after running the command. These folders are classes, dependency-cache, libs, resources, retromaping,sources, taskLogs, and tmp. From the very last time I made mods, these folders didn't appear, but merely the jars of the mod did (and not grouped in a folder)

Edited by NovaViper
Mentioned the build items that appered

> The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file

One of the files is locked and can't be edited. Its in use (or incorrectly locked).

As for your files, you need to tell the build task where to take the files from and where to put them. It's not automagic.

• Like 1

That helped alot there, thanks! :D Now I have another issue, whenever I build, the etc folder ends up in the EclipseCore jar but not in the Terrakon jar (I dont want that in either folder). And I still have that locked gradle error, despite I (supposedly) not using gradle anywhere else (expect Eclipse, maybe that's causing the issue?)

What my build.gradle looks like currently:

buildscript {
    repositories {
        jcenter()
    }
    dependencies {
    }
}
//Only edit below this line, the above code adds and enables the necessary things for Forge to be setup.

def prePend = "1.12.2-"
def packageVersion  = libVersion+"."+majorVersion+"."+minorVersion+tkcraftVersion

version = ""
group= "com.novaviper.ecore" // http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-naming-conventions.html
archivesBaseName = prePend+"NovaCraft"+packageVersion

sourceCompatibility = targetCompatibility = '1.8' // Need this here so eclipse task generates correctly.
compileJava {
}

minecraft {
    runDir = "run"

// the mappings can be changed at any time, and must be in the following format.
    // simply re-run your setup task after changing the mappings to update your workspace.
    // makeObfSourceJar = false // an Srg named sources jar is made by default. uncomment this to disable.
}

dependencies {
    // you may put jars on which you depend on in ./libs
    // or you may define them like so..
    //compile "some.group:artifact:version:classifier"
    //compile "some.group:artifact:version"

// real examples
    //compile 'com.mod-buildcraft:buildcraft:6.0.8:dev'  // adds buildcraft to the dev env
    //compile 'com.googlecode.efficient-java-matrix-library:ejml:0.24' // adds ejml to the dev env

// the 'provided' configuration is for optional dependencies that exist at compile-time but might not at runtime.
    //provided 'com.mod-buildcraft:buildcraft:6.0.8:dev'

// the deobf configurations:  'deobfCompile' and 'deobfProvided' are the same as the normal compile and provided,
    // except that these dependencies get remapped to your current MCP mappings
    //deobfCompile 'com.mod-buildcraft:buildcraft:6.0.8:dev'
    //deobfProvided 'com.mod-buildcraft:buildcraft:6.0.8:dev'

// for more info...
    // http://www.gradle.org/docs/current/userguide/artifact_dependencies_tutorial.html
    // http://www.gradle.org/docs/current/userguide/dependency_management.html

}

processResources
{

include 'mcmod.info'

}

exclude 'mcmod.info'
    }
}

baseName = 'EclipseCore-'+prePend+libVersion

from('src/main/resources/etc/lib') {
        include '*.info'
    }

exclude 'com/novaviper/terrakoncraft/**', 'mcmod.info', 'assets/terrakoncraft/**'
    }
}

baseName = 'TerrakonCraft-'+prePend+tkcraftVersion

from('src/main/resources/etc/tkcraft') {
        include '*.info'
    }

}
}

from eCoreJar
    from terrakonCraftJar
    into '.'
}

delete jar
}

Add an exclude entry for it.

*Shrug*

I tried that but the etc folder still appears in the library jar

--Edit--

I did the include method like in the terrakonJar task and that made it go away

Edited by NovaViper

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @Draco18s, I added in a dependency to the build, now eclipse says it can't find the library despite I ran the setup commands for Eclipse. It keeps saying unresolved dependency

--Edit--

I fixed it, but I still can't get Forge to look into the etc folder and find each mod's mcmod.info file

Edited by NovaViper

4 hours ago, NovaViper said:

I fixed it, but I still can't get Forge to look into the etc folder and find each mod's mcmod.info file

I'm not sure. I just know that what I have works. Show your folder structure and gradle.build file again?

Here you go.

//Thanks to Draco18s for the library/mod seperation!
buildscript {
    repositories {
        jcenter()
    }
    dependencies {
    }
}

def prePend = "1.12.2-"

version = ""
archivesBaseName = prePend+"NovaCraft"+packageVersion

compileJava {
}

minecraft {
    runDir = "run"

}

repositories {
    maven {
        url "https://maven.mcmoddev.com/"
    }
}

dependencies {
    compile "net.ilexiconn:llibrary:1.7.9-1.12.2:dev"
}

processResources
{

include 'mcmod.info'

}

exclude 'mcmod.info'
    }
}

baseName = 'EclipseCore-'+prePend+libVersion

from('src/main/resources/etc/lib') {
        include '*.info'
    }

include 'com/novaviper/eclipsecore/**', 'assets/eclipsecore/**'
    }
}

baseName = 'TerrakonCraft-'+prePend+tkcraftVersion

from('src/main/resources/etc/tkcraft') {
        include '*.info'
    }

}
}

from eCoreJar
    from terrakonCraftJar
    into '.'
}

delete jar
}

6 hours ago, Draco18s said:

Show your folder structure

To TerrakonCraft: C:\Users\novag\eclipse-workspace\Minecraft\TerrakonCraft\src\main\resources\etc\tkcraft\mcmod.info

To EclipseCore: C:\Users\novag\eclipse-workspace\Minecraft\TerrakonCraft\src\main\resources\etc\lib\mcmod.info

I'm not sure :\