Mutliblock validation help

MX_wb

I've been trying to make a multiblock coke oven for several days now, but I always get stuck on the validation part. I can't find any tutorials anywhere apart from the odd 1.7.10, and when i look at github repos that use multiblocks, they all seem very complicated and spread out between 5 different classes.

I'm just wondering how to would approach checking if the blocks are in the correct formation, I made a map with key BlockPos and value Block to try and represent the formation, but I'm struggling to use it to check the specific blocks around, with rotations.

I have the pattern here:

BBB

BBB Bottom layer

BBB

BCB

CBC Middle layer

BCB

B 

BBB Top layer

B 

B is fired bricks, and C is also fired bricks, but depending on which one you click, will form the multiblock and that specific block becomes the master and the 'opening' to the coke furnace.

Fired bricks is a tile entity, and ive tried making mutliblock classes to see if that might help things for me.

If you would like to see my github repo it's here, so you can see fully all of my classes https://github.com/MX-wb/Mineral_Processing/tree/master/src/main/java/mxwb/mineralprocessing

Please tell me if you would like to see or know anything else

When the block is clicked...you know the exact arrangement you want. Check all of those block positions, if all of them match, success.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Yes, I know that's what you are supposed to do :(. But how would i approach this? When would I create an instance of MultiblockCokeFurnace? Because that has the isValid() function. I probably should've put that in the question.

Edited by MX_wb

Well, i managed to get it working, but only one side. I can't seem to get all the rotations.

I have this to check if it is valid, but only the first iteration on the first loop works:

boolean found = false;
        for (int i = 0; i < 4; i++) {
            for (BlockPos find : pattern.keySet()) {
                if (i == 1) {
                    find = find.add(1, 0, -1);
                } else if (i == 2) {
                    find = find.add(0, 0, -2);
                } else if (i == 3) {
                    find = find.add(-1, 0, -1);
                }

if (world.getBlockState(pos.add(find)).getBlock()
                        == pattern.get(find)) {
                    System.out.println("found " + i);
                    found = true;
                } else {
                    found = false;
                    break;
                }
            }
            System.out.println(i);
            if (found) {
                return true;
            }
        }

return false;

I have no idea why this isnt working. It should just move it to a place where it can check all the blocks

Edited by MX_wb

5 hours ago, MX_wb said:

Yes, I know that's what you are supposed to do :(. But how would i approach this? When would I create an instance of MultiblockCokeFurnace? Because that has the isValid() function. I probably should've put that in the question.

There is no instance of MultiblockCokeFurnace that you ever need to create, you just have to change the blockstate of the block clicked on so that a TileEntity can be created (this is what hasTileEntity and createTileEntity are for, so you can specify which states of the block have a TE and which don't).

• Like 1

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

The shape of your furnace is rotation agnostic. First: find the bock behind the one clicked (you get a facing value, offset by that ejection -1) then just check all the locations from there. 

Additionally, you'll need to make your blocks invalidate the TE (if it exists) when broken. That will be trickier, but each block can figure it out (or just have the TE periodically validate itself)

Edited by Draco18s
  • Like 1

Wow, I wouldn't have thought of that. It works great now! Thanks!

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean when you say I need to make the blocks invalidate the tile entity when broken :(.

Now I just need to figure out how to render a model onto the entire set of blocks

If someone  creates the coke furnace and then removes all the blocks except the one they right clicked, that wouldn't be good, would it?

I am also using a few Multiblock Structures, my most complicated ones work with Slave-Master TileEntities in the Blocks, with the Master getting notified if any Slave gets broken. The more easy ones (like 3x3x3) just check within that boundary if the Blocks still exist, when one of them is replaced by air (broken) it resets the entire leftover Structure to the starting point and then deletes the TE.

I don't know if thats the best approach but it works well for me :)

Yep, same thing here. It'll just be tricker to find the "master" block

Although this particular structure seems to be rotation-agnostic (although I have a suspicion that the OP may want the actual resulting model to have a direction...) I just wanted to point out that for people who find it hard to think about making an algorithmic rotation they should just go ahead and do it with "brute force" -- just check for each rotated shape separately. 

I see so many people struggling with trigonometry or matrix manipulations to perform a rotation when you just need to check four shapes which you can do against pre-rotated pattern templates. Brute force methods are often less buggy and take way less time to program in the first place, but are often overlooked cause some of us like to be clever.

Edited by jabelar

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the help everybody! For rendering the multiblock model, should I use a TESR (is that deprecated?), or just a regular block json model. Or should I just make a new topic and ask there, because this isn't really about validation

edit:  Nvm I don't think TESRs are deprecated, but I think that's what I'll use as my model needs to rotate in 2 axes at once.

Edited by MX_wb

• 11 months later...

Sorry for the necro

You should use a FastTESR to render your multiblock. Since your model is 3x3 you can use a JSON Block model, register it and it’s textures to the minecraft engine in the appropriate events, and render it in the FastTESR with the BlockRendererDispatcher or the BlockModelRenderer

About Me

Spoiler

My Discord - Cadiboo#8887

My WebsiteCadiboo.github.io

My ModsCadiboo.github.io/projects

My TutorialsCadiboo.github.io/tutorials

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)