Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How much will modding change with 1.13?


That_Martin_Guy
 Share

Recommended Posts

I looked through the changes for 1.13 for the first time today, and I saw they are reworking the way items and blocks are implemented, along with other changes and additions like data packs and removal of metadata.

 

Will this mean a lot for me as a forge modder? I can assume that things will break, but on what scale?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, That_Martin_Guy said:

I can assume that things will break, but on what scale?

hopefully not as much as 1.8 broke everything

About Me

Spoiler

My Discord - Cadiboo#8887

My WebsiteCadiboo.github.io

My ModsCadiboo.github.io/projects

My TutorialsCadiboo.github.io/tutorials

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Things are going to change. And people will complain about it. There isn't anything that can be done about it so threads like these are useless. 

 

  • Like 3

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Patreon: http://www.patreon.com/lexmanos
Paypal: http://paypal.me/LexManos

BitCoin: 1Q8rWvUNMM2T1ZfDaFeeYQyVXtYoeT6tTn

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/12/2018 at 12:00 AM, LexManos said:

Things are going to change. And people will complain about it. There isn't anything that can be done about it so threads like these are useless. 

 

I have no doubt in my mind that things will change. I also don't doubt that it is for a good reason they (or you as a forge dev) make the changes. I simply would like to know the scale of it, so I can know  if minecraft gets a mountain of changes like in 1.8 or not.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/11/2018 at 4:00 PM, LexManos said:

Things are going to change. And people will complain about it. There isn't anything that can be done about it so threads like these are useless.

Personally I'm interested in knowing what will change: what will newly be possible and what will no longer be possible.

On 3/13/2018 at 9:24 AM, That_Martin_Guy said:

I have no doubt in my mind that things will change. I also don't doubt that it is for a good reason they (or you as a forge dev) make the changes. I simply would like to know the scale of it, so I can know  if minecraft gets a mountain of changes like in 1.8 or not.

It's going to be a mountain. Deal with it.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

 

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

 

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, MinecartKid said:

it will take years for there to be good mods again.

It won't.

  • Like 1

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

 

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

 

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

 

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/16/2018 at 6:58 PM, OrangeVillager61 said:

Eh, the modding community is still bouncing back from the 1.8 debacle so I'm not so sure on that.

That's mostly because of the combat changes, not because of the changes to the codebase. That was only in the beginning when people were bitching about the model system.

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

 

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

 

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

 

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Being a first time developer for MC, should I just wait for 1.13 to drop to continue programming my idea since there is going to be a fundamental change to how items are handled? I've got about 3 years of Java under my belt already so it isn't a familiarity with coding that has me worried, but familiarity with the libraries and how things work with forge.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/26/2018 at 2:20 PM, pr0racing said:

Being a first time developer for MC, should I just wait for 1.13 to drop to continue programming my idea since there is going to be a fundamental change to how items are handled? I've got about 3 years of Java under my belt already so it isn't a familiarity with coding that has me worried, but familiarity with the libraries and how things work with forge.

100% wait. The fundamentals of the Minecraft codebase have changed quite a bit; as such, the Forge layer on top of it will need to change drastically. I'm almost certain that even those of us who have been using Forge for awhile will have to "re-learn" the 1.13 structure, as it were. So you may as well wait until then to start learning so you don't have to start all over :)

  • Like 3

Whatever Minecraft needs, it is most likely not yet another tool tier.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
Just now, KatherineFtw said:

All things considered, 1.14 was rumored to be almost a total overhaul. Expect worse for that than this. The biggest problem will be worldgen/resoucegen prob for 1.12 >1.13.

Did you hear that before or after 1.13 became the Aquatic Update (i.e. merged with what was planned for 1.14)? Because from what I heard, the devs are trying not to do any major code refactoring for a little while after 1.13.

  • Like 1

Whatever Minecraft needs, it is most likely not yet another tool tier.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/28/2018 at 6:56 AM, IceMetalPunk said:

100% wait. The fundamentals of the Minecraft codebase have changed quite a bit; as such, the Forge layer on top of it will need to change drastically. I'm almost certain that even those of us who have been using Forge for awhile will have to "re-learn" the 1.13 structure, as it were. So you may as well wait until then to start learning so you don't have to start all over :)

Thanks for the honest opinion :) This could save a bunch of people who wanted to hurry in upgrading.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/27/2018 at 7:26 PM, IceMetalPunk said:

100% wait. The fundamentals of the Minecraft codebase have changed quite a bit; as such, the Forge layer on top of it will need to change drastically. I'm almost certain that even those of us who have been using Forge for awhile will have to "re-learn" the 1.13 structure, as it were. So you may as well wait until then to start learning so you don't have to start all over :)

I'm not sure I agree 100%. I've been hearing that Forge will take several months to be ready. If your Java knowledge is solid, you could get a lot done in that time and learn a lot of concepts that will remain the same. However, if your mod has anything to do with world gen, I would definitely wait. And if you don't know Java very well, I would recommend spending a few months getting your Java knowledge solid while you wait.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Daeruin said:

I'm not sure I agree 100%. I've been hearing that Forge will take several months to be ready. If your Java knowledge is solid, you could get a lot done in that time and learn a lot of concepts that will remain the same. However, if your mod has anything to do with world gen, I would definitely wait. And if you don't know Java very well, I would recommend spending a few months getting your Java knowledge solid while you wait.

I don't know about that. World gen changed, but so did block handling, item handling, command handling, and tons more. And from what I've seen on Twitter, Forge itself is getting a huge refactoring in response as well. So I'm not sure if the amount that remains unchanged will be all that significant... For people who already know how to work with Forge for 1.12.2, there's definitely enough time to make another mod. But for people who have never used it... I don't think there's enough time to learn Forge*and* make a complete mod before having to re-learn Forge for 1.13.

Edited by IceMetalPunk

Whatever Minecraft needs, it is most likely not yet another tool tier.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From my experience with Java 9/10 they've really screwed up reflection. EnumHelper, to give an example, probably won't work in Java 10 because Oracle has decided they're going to be very much more strict about illegal reflective operations. (Changing final variables especially, but I imagine this will carry over into enums as a security 'feature'). And afaik there isn't any amount of elevated privilege that allows you to bypass this, but I could be wrong.

 

Is the plan to switch FML to Java 9/10? If not what's the plan to handle these sorts of things?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, quantumapples said:

From my experience with Java 9/10 they've really screwed up reflection. EnumHelper, to give an example, probably won't work in Java 10 because Oracle has decided they're going to be very much more strict about illegal reflective operations. (Changing final variables especially, but I imagine this will carry over into enums as a security 'feature'). And afaik there isn't any amount of elevated privilege that allows you to bypass this, but I could be wrong.

This has nothing to do with security. Doing stuff like changing final (and especially static final) fields breaks the JVM or at least any optimizations it can do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy.