Rendering a line between Player and Projectile (1.10.2)

TypicalNerdB

I want to render a line between the player and projectile so when the projectile is "thrown" there is a line that connects it to the player until it hits something/dies. I have no idea where I would put this, or how I would go about drawing the actual line. I'm guessing the line needs to be updated every tick so that it keeps rendering to the projectile as it moves, but other than that I have no clue.

Not just every tick, every render frame!

And you do this with OpenGL commands. Look at how Vanilla handles the fishing rod.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

public class LassoRenderer {

private Minecraft mc;

public LassoRenderer(Minecraft mc)
{
	super();
	this.mc = mc;
}

@SubscribeEvent
public void render(RenderWorldLastEvent event)
{
	EntityLassoWhip projectile = new EntityLassoWhip(mc.thePlayer.getEntityWorld(), mc.thePlayer);
	if (ItemWonderWomanArmor.isWearingFullSet(mc.thePlayer, ModArmor.WonderWomanTiara, ModArmor.WonderWomanChestplate, ModArmor.WonderWomanSkirt, ModArmor.WonderWomanBoots)) {

double doubleX = mc.thePlayer.prevPosX + (mc.thePlayer.posX - mc.thePlayer.prevPosX) * event.getPartialTicks(); 
		double doubleY = mc.thePlayer.prevPosY + (mc.thePlayer.posY - mc.thePlayer.prevPosY) * event.getPartialTicks();
		double doubleZ = mc.thePlayer.prevPosZ + (mc.thePlayer.posZ - mc.thePlayer.prevPosZ) * event.getPartialTicks();
		Vec3d vec = projectile.getPositionVector();
		Vec3d pvec = mc.thePlayer.getPositionVector();
		double vx = vec.xCoord;
		double vy = vec.yCoord;
		double vz = vec.zCoord;
		double px = pvec.xCoord;
		double py = pvec.yCoord;
		double pz = pvec.zCoord;

GL11.glPushMatrix();
		GL11.glDisable(GL11.GL_LIGHTING);
		GL11.glDisable(GL11.GL_TEXTURE_2D);
		GL11.glDisable(GL11.GL_DEPTH_TEST);

GL11.glLineWidth(2);
		GL11.glTranslated(-doubleX, -doubleY, -doubleZ);
		GL11.glColor3f(2f, 1f, 0f);

GL11.glEnable(GL11.GL_LINE_SMOOTH);
		GL11.glHint( GL11.GL_LINE_SMOOTH_HINT, GL11.GL_NICEST );
		GL11.glBegin(GL11.GL_LINE_STRIP);

GL11.glVertex3d(px, py, pz);
		GL11.glVertex3d(vx, vy, vz);

GL11.glEnd();
		GL11.glEnable(GL11.GL_LIGHTING);
		GL11.glEnable(GL11.GL_TEXTURE_2D);
		GL11.glEnable(GL11.GL_DEPTH_TEST);
		GL11.glPopMatrix();
		}
	}
}

So i got a working line being rendered, however it doesnt render to the projectile, it only renders inside the player from feet to head like this:

image.png.b3e9d6666d147d2948c4fe9621b3b3b2.png

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? My guess is I'm getting the projectile incorrectly. Thanks for helping out.

new EntityLassoWhip(mc.thePlayer.getEntityWorld(), mc.thePlayer);

Are you intentionally making a new entity every render tick?

About Me

Spoiler

My Discord - Cadiboo#8887

My WebsiteCadiboo.github.io

My ModsCadiboo.github.io/projects

My TutorialsCadiboo.github.io/tutorials

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

4 minutes ago, Cadiboo said:

new EntityLassoWhip(mc.thePlayer.getEntityWorld(), mc.thePlayer);

Are you intentionally making a new entity every render tick?

No, i just thought thats how you got the Projectile, im new to modding so im not too sure on that. Do you know the correct way to get the projectile entity?

Do you want this code to run if you have the armor on OR run if you have the armor on AND have thrown a lassoWhip

About Me

Spoiler

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

8 minutes ago, TypicalNerdB said:

When its thrown aswell, however i couldnt figure out how to check that.

do you have an entity set up for your EntityLassoWhip that can be thrown/shot?

if so, have you set up a renderer for it?

Edited by Cadiboo

About Me

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Cadiboo said:

do you have an entity set up for your EntityLassoWhip that can be thrown/shot

The EntityLassoWhip is a projectile that works perfectly so yeah. The Lasso item "Throws" the projectile when its rightclicked.

Edited by TypicalNerdB

set up a renderer for it and in that renderer connect it to it's thrower

Ill have to check this but I think that throwers aren't properly synced between server & client for some reason

Edited by Cadiboo

About Me

Spoiler

1 minute ago, TypicalNerdB said:

I already have a render class for the projectile, what do you mean by connect it to its thrower?

in that render class just do your OpenGL commands that draw a line between the entity and it's thrower

About Me

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Cadiboo said:

in that render class just do your OpenGL commands that draw a line between the entity and it's thrower

Thank you so much! it works, it follows the projectile. Just one question, do you know how I can possibly edit how the line looks in first person, because it looks way off.image.png.a334115111479b4e227a5368b6c1fae1.png

I wanna try to make it so that it shows its kind of coming from the item, but if its just not possible then i guess ill have to get used to it.

2 minutes ago, TypicalNerdB said:

Thank you so much! it works, it follows the projectile. Just one question, do you know how I can possibly edit how the line looks in first person, because it looks way off.image.png.a334115111479b4e227a5368b6c1fae1.png

I wanna try to make it so that it shows its kind of coming from the item, but if its just not possible then i guess ill have to get used to it.

mc.thePlayer.getPos() returns the position of the bottom of your feet.

translate it up on the Y axis by something like 1.6 to make it start around your eye/camera's height

Edited by Cadiboo

About Me

Spoiler