[SOLVED] [1.12.2] Dye able horse armor

ApexModder

I've created my horse armor and it all works well and good with horses but im trying to make it dye able, got the recipes down and the rendering is sorta working, but when i try to "tint" the armor to render the different colors it also tints the horses model textures.

Does anyone know a way to tint my horse armor without it modifying the horse model.

The way i am tinting the armor is during the render event

RenderLivingEvent.Pre<EntityHorse>

Code for tinting model, Works but majorly messes with horse model and tints it

2018-04-25_12.41.21.png

2018-04-25_12.41.28.png

Edited by ApexModder
SOLVED

I don't really understand your code. Of course if you change the color in the living entity pre render it will color the whole entity. But I'm not sure why you're doing it that way.

First of all, where are you rendering the armor at all? I don't see any code for that. 

You have two, possibly three, options for coloring the armor. First of all, in a place where you actually render the armor you could actually choose a pre-colored texture. Secondly, you could use the GL11 color there but make sure you return the color to white in order to allow the remainder of the horse to have normal color. Thirdly you might be able to use IItemColor and tinting process.

But the most fundamental thing is you need to render the actual armor. So where is the model and rendering code for that? 

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

1 hour ago, jabelar said:

I don't really understand your code. Of course if you change the color in the living entity pre render it will color the whole entity. But I'm not sure why you're doing it that way.

First of all, where are you rendering the armor at all? I don't see any code for that. 

You have two, possibly three, options for coloring the armor. First of all, in a place where you actually render the armor you could actually choose a pre-colored texture. Secondly, you could use the GL11 color there but make sure you return the color to white in order to allow the remainder of the horse to have normal color. Thirdly you might be able to use IItemColor and tinting process.

But the most fundamental thing is you need to render the actual armor. So where is the model and rendering code for that? 

im not rendering the armor im creating a horse armor type which takes in a texture file and the EntityHorse renderer renders the armor as a "variant" the same way vanilla armor is rendered

thought since the rendering is done in class "net.minecraft.client.renderer.entity.RenderHorse" only way to override the color was to color in the event, trying to figure out a way to color in the event only when its rendering the armor layer

EDIT:

net.minecraft.entity.passive.HorseArmorType#getTextureName()

net.minecraft.entity.passive.EntityHorse#setHorseTexturePaths() | this.horseTexturesArray[2] == armor_texture

net.minecraft.client.renderer.entity#getEntityTexture(EntityHorse) // Returns a LayeredTexture instance which holds the horse texture, variant texture and armor texture to be rendered

RenderLiving then from what i can see renders the model and texture, so i dont really see a way to hook into that function to tint the armor other than in the event

Edited by ApexModder

3 hours ago, jabelar said:

I don't think that is going to work. The textures "layers" is hardcoded in and you don't get events for each layer. I think what you need to do is have textures that are already pre-colored and set that for the horse armor texture. 

Yeah thanks for the tip, ended making pre-colored textures for leather armor and all possible colors, which means you cant mix 2 colors together like you can with leather (player) armor (can dye red + blue to get mixed color)

which is what i was trying to go for, unless i can figure out a way to GlStateManager#color() (tinting) without it affecting the actual model and only armor layer looks like it has to be hard coded :( still better than nothing though :D 

Edited by ApexModder