Extreme LAG on Minecraft multiplayer

Sandrituky

Hello! 

My boyfriend and I have set up a forge server with around 50 mods. The forge version is 1.12.2-forge1.12.2-14.23.3.2674. He's hosting it and he's allocating 5GB RAM for the server and another 5GB for his client. He got a bit delay but... I can't even play. 

I have two computers, one desktop and one laptop, I set up the forge server yesterday with mods on my desktop PC and I could run the server and the client with no problems and I sent the files to my boyfriend because he has 8GB more on his PC. He only changed the forge version to the mentioned one (I set up the server with an older one). 

This weekend (and every) I'm on his home and I use my laptop. My laptop specs: https://pastebin.com/L71rMiGY

I installed the forge client from zero and copied-pasted mods. I have 100-150 FPS on singleplayer mode, but I have around 0,1 FPS on the server (with no shaders!!). I have allocated 8GB on Minecraft launcher... I noticed that Minecraft was using integrated graphics but I changed that with Nvidia Control Panel, so now it's using the Nvidia GeForce 1050 Ti Graphics. 

I'm next to him, so we are playing on local, he has 300MB speed on upload/download (symetric). We've set up more forge servers years before with a similar numbr of mods to play beetwen us and some friends, and I could play well from my desktop PC. 

What is happening with my laptop or with this server? I know I should test his server from my desktop PC and I may do it in a few minutes via remote. We have no crashes but I will paste the lastest log from my client and his server.

My client: https://gist.github.com/Sandrituky/bf364b9828000a9f3ddb137c4322d512

The server: https://gist.github.com/Sandrituky/f40fdc066da51ce682c062f0a19eb271

PD: I have a program called Killer Control Center that increase networks performance and these things, and I have Minecraft with priority = 1. Could that program be causing issues? 

Thank you all for reading me! Happy gaming! 

Hi,

Personally, I would start with some basic debugging steps

• Yes the program could possibly be causing issues I would try disabling it 
  • If at all possible try connecting the two computers via ethernet either via crossover cable or a router
  • Make sure you are using the local IP not your public IP to connect to the server usually are 10.0.0.0 or 172.16.0.0 or 192.168.0.0
  • Try using the forge version you used when you set up the server
  • You could try removing Roguelike Dungeons which seems to be generating a lot of structures
If these don't work could you upload your server start file and a list of mods?

Hope this helped.

11 hours ago, MDW01 said:

Hi,

Personally, I would start with some basic debugging steps

• Yes the program could possibly be causing issues I would try disabling it 
  • If at all possible try connecting the two computers via ethernet either via crossover cable or a router
  • Make sure you are using the local IP not your public IP to connect to the server usually are 10.0.0.0 or 172.16.0.0 or 192.168.0.0
  • Try using the forge version you used when you set up the server
  • You could try removing Roguelike Dungeons which seems to be generating a lot of structures
If these don't work could you upload your server start file and a list of mods?

Hope this helped.

Hi, thanks for the reply!

The first thing I've tried is to run the server I had created at beginning on my desktop PC (via remote connection). I logged in from my laptop and it's unplayable. My boyfriend logged in too, and he could play perfectly. In conclusion, my laptop seems to be the problem, it must be something about connection. There must be a way to solve it... it has enough power...Hi, thanks for the reply. The first thing I've tried is to run the server I had created at beginning on my desktop PC (via remote connection). I logged in from my laptop and it's unplayable. My boyfriend logged in too, and he could play perfectly. In conclusion, my laptop seems to be the problem, it must be something about connection. There must be a way to solve it... it has enough power...

I've disabled the program from services, I've disabled its start too and restarted the laptop and... nothing changed.

I was using the local IP the whole time. 

We haven't a crossover cable here, so that's the only thing I can try right now.

I tried the another forge version (the first thing I tried and I wrote) from my desktop PC. 

My boyfriend removed Roguelike Dungeons and nothing changed for me... 

The only diference is that he's using Ethernet connection and I'm using wifi (5G, and I receive almost 300MB on upload/download... the next thing I'm going to try will be to take his Ethernet cable on my laptop, I will report what happens, I don't think that's the problem but I must try everything on my hand). 

Update: I tried to connect my laptop with his Ethernet cable and... nothing changed. It's unplayable, I don't know what to do! 

(Noone of us are using hamachi, we both opened Minecraft ports in our desktop computers and I got disabled Firewall on my laptop/desktop PC). 

List of mods: https://pastebin.com/NeuYFsb1

His server start file: https://pastebin.com/PRbm9mFB

My server start file: https://pastebin.com/dWHiRNZG

He had almost the same start as me before, but he removed arguments looking for a solution. We don't know what some arguments means and neither which could be the perfect start file for us. 

Thank you again!

Edited by Sandrituky

@ECHO OFF
java -Xms1G -Xmx4G -jar forge-1.12.2-14.23.3.2655-universal.jar nogui
pause

I would use this for your start file

@ECHO OFF - suppresses some stuff I don't know exactly what it does but windows want it

Java - tells it its a java program

-Xms*G - starting gigabytes of ram

-Xmx*G - max ram

-jar ***.jar - name of the jar

nogui - tells it to run in command prompt 

pause - another windows thing

I noticed in both scripts the memory flags were used incorrectly they were either the values or misspelled try using the script I provided

None of the mods look like they would cause conflicts off the top of my head

If this doesn't solve the issue could you please post your (while the server is not hosted on your computer) ping to the server and your FPS in game

you can find your ping in the server menu by moving your mouse over the bars next to the server.

Hope this helps

21 minutes ago, MDW01 said:

@ECHO OFF

This stops cmd from parroting commands back to you before they run

Edited by DaemonUmbra

This is my Forum Signature, I am currently attempting to transform it into a small guide for fixing easier issues using spoiler blocks to keep things tidy.

As the most common issue I feel I should put this outside the main bulk:

The only official source for Forge is https://files.minecraftforge.net, and the only site I trust for getting mods is CurseForge.

If you use any site other than these, please take a look at the StopModReposts project and install their browser extension, I would also advise running a virus scan.

For players asking for assistance with Forge please expand the spoiler below and read the appropriate section(s) in its/their entirety.

Spoiler

Logs (Most issues require logs to diagnose):

Spoiler

Please post logs using one of the following sites (Thank you Lumber Wizard for the list):

https://gist.github.com/100MB Requires member (Free)

https://pastebin.com/: 512KB as guest, 10MB as Pro ($$$)

https://hastebin.com/: 400KB

Do NOT use sites like Mediafire, Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, or a site that has a countdown before offering downloads.

What to provide:

...for Crashes and Runtime issues:

Minecraft 1.14.4 and newer:

Post debug.log

Older versions:

Please update...

...for Installer Issues:

Post your installer log, found in the same place you ran the installer

This log will be called either installer.log or named the same as the installer but with .log on the end

Note for Windows users:

Windows hides file extensions by default so the installer may appear without the .jar extension then when the .log is added the log will appear with the .jar extension

Where to get it:

Mojang Launcher: When using the Mojang launcher debug.log is found in .minecraft\logs.

Curse/Overwolf: If you are using the Curse Launcher, their configurations break Forge's log settings, fortunately there is an easier workaround than I originally thought, this works even with Curse's installation of the Minecraft launcher as long as it is not launched THROUGH Twitch:

Spoiler
  1. Make sure you have the correct version of Forge installed (some packs are heavily dependent on one specific build of Forge)
  2. Make a launcher profile targeting this version of Forge.
  3. Set the launcher profile's GameDir property to the pack's instance folder (not the instances folder, the folder that has the pack's name on it).
  4. Now launch the pack through that profile and follow the "Mojang Launcher" instructions above.

Video:

Spoiler

or alternately, 

Fallback ("No logs are generated"):

If you don't see logs generated in the usual place, provide the launcher_log.txt from .minecraft

Server Not Starting:

Spoiler

If your server does not start or a command window appears and immediately goes away, run the jar manually and provide the output.

Reporting Illegal/Inappropriate Adfocus Ads:

Spoiler

Get a screenshot of the URL bar or copy/paste the whole URL into a thread on the General Discussion board with a description of the Ad.

Lex will need the Ad ID contained in that URL to report it to Adfocus' support team.

Posting your mod as a GitHub Repo:

Spoiler

When you have an issue with your mod the most helpful thing you can do when asking for help is to provide your code to those helping you. The most convenient way to do this is via GitHub or another source control hub.

When setting up a GitHub Repo it might seem easy to just upload everything, however this method has the potential for mistakes that could lead to trouble later on, it is recommended to use a Git client or to get comfortable with the Git command line. The following instructions will use the Git Command Line and as such they assume you already have it installed and that you have created a repository.

1. Open a command prompt (CMD, Powershell, Terminal, etc).
  2. Navigate to the folder you extracted Forge’s MDK to (the one that had all the licenses in).
  3. Run the following commands:
    1. git init
    2. git remote add origin [Your Repository's URL]
      • In the case of GitHub it should look like: https://GitHub.com/[Your Username]/[Repo Name].git
    3. git fetch
    4. git checkout --track origin/master
    5. git stage *
    6. git commit -m "[Your commit message]"
    7. git push
  4. Navigate to GitHub and you should now see most of the files.
    • note that it is intentional that some are not synced with GitHub and this is done with the (hidden) .gitignore file that Forge’s MDK has provided (hence the strictness on which folder git init is run from)
  5. Now you can share your GitHub link with those who you are asking for help.

[Workaround line, please ignore]

8 hours ago, MDW01 said:

@ECHO OFF
java -Xms1G -Xmx4G -jar forge-1.12.2-14.23.3.2655-universal.jar nogui
pause

I would use this for your start file

@ECHO OFF - suppresses some stuff I don't know exactly what it does but windows want it

Java - tells it its a java program

-Xms*G - starting gigabytes of ram

-Xmx*G - max ram

-jar ***.jar - name of the jar

nogui - tells it to run in command prompt 

pause - another windows thing

I noticed in both scripts the memory flags were used incorrectly they were either the values or misspelled try using the script I provided

None of the mods look like they would cause conflicts off the top of my head

If this doesn't solve the issue could you please post your (while the server is not hosted on your computer) ping to the server and your FPS in game

you can find your ping in the server menu by moving your mouse over the bars next to the server.

Hope this helps

Hey, thanks again for your reply!

We changed the run script and my boyfriend is experiencing less lag (when he hit a mob, there was a delay, that's seems fixed). But I... I logged in and the first 2 seconds there was around 60 FPS, but suddenly it went to 0 FPS. 

Ping is 4ms. 

I post here these screenshots about ping and FPS. When I'm ingame and I press ESC, the menu lasts around 5-10s to open... Captura.PNG.d07215514cfe59690c42ababae8d2457.PNG

5ae7017958a1a_Sinttulo.thumb.png.ee6a55d7ffe1dc494653b8f294f7d4ba.png 

I can't really understand this :(

So it is definitely not your connection to the server. The Issue seems to be something else. Your hardware should be more than capable of running this but even the best hardware is vulnerable to software bugs. I don't know what to tell you other than removing all the mods from your client and the server and connect to the server with only forge installed. Then if your issue goes away add the mods back one by one until you experience the issues again and that mod will be causing the issue. This can be an annoying process but it is a last resort.

Hope I helped

• Like 1

[00:06:14] [Thread-22/WARN] [THAUMCRAFT]: AURAS TAKING 1320 ms LONGER THAN NORMAL IN DIM 0
[00:06:16] [Server thread/INFO] [STDOUT]: [thut.api.terrain.TerrainSegment:refresh:504]: subBiome refresh took 0.1984083137
[00:06:39] [Server thread/WARN] [net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer]: Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 18045ms behind, skipping 360 tick(s)

Those two lines are the only ones reported in the server log after you're detected connecting to it. That is a pretty big tick delay, and Thaumcraft also appears to be the only one in your list with "BETA" in its filename. In any case, beta versions can be unstable (that's why they're beta). I would start by attempting to remove this mod from your installation (and any dependents) and if that doesn't help try other mods one by one until you can find the problem.

Edited by kevinmd88

Also, JourneyMap can implicate extreme lag spikes:

Especially if your server is fresh, and even moreso if being hosted from an underpowered desktop PC (relatively speaking by server hardware standards). So, another few steps you could try would be Crowfooted's and InThayne's commented suggestions in that above Reddit thread, regarding checking with Shift+F3 to see if anything's chewing CPU on your client side, and regarding the JRE garbage collection parameter (try that one on both your client and server startup commands).

Edited by kevinmd88

4 hours ago, MDW01 said:

So it is definitely not your connection to the server. The Issue seems to be something else. Your hardware should be more than capable of running this but even the best hardware is vulnerable to software bugs. I don't know what to tell you other than removing all the mods from your client and the server and connect to the server with only forge installed. Then if your issue goes away add the mods back one by one until you experience the issues again and that mod will be causing the issue. This can be an annoying process but it is a last resort.

Hope I helped

SOLVED!! 

It's solved, but I want to die. You won't believe which mod was causing the trouble. It was a client-side mod I had installed!! It's called Better Animals Models. 

I never thought that a client-side mod could cause this lag, the most funny is that it only happens on multiplayer. On singleplayer mode everything works perfectly! 

The another must funny thing is that my boyfriend requested me to search the link for him, and I downloaded it for giving it a try, but he didn't download it because he forgot about it. I want to cry very hard :$ 

But I'm happy because we will be able to play finally together and with friends!

Thank for all the replies @MDW01 and you too @kevinmd88 ^_^ 

Now 80-90 FPS with Shaders ! :D 

Edited by Sandrituky