Setting CPU ussage limits on a server

I have a problem where one of my Forge servers uses a lot of the CPU and causing performance problems on my other servers.

I don't want to remove mods to help performance because I know what mod is causing the problem and it is one of the main mods on it.

First off that is not a good idea because even if you could limit CPU usage if that server is already using up most of your CPU throttling would make that server unplayable.

Also to my knowledge the JVM has no control over CPU usage or its priority only the amount of memory allocation. 

The only possible workaround would be to run each server on a separate JVM in a separate Docker container. And control the resource (Memory, CPU, Network, IO) allocation for each container. 

Considering you don't already know this you should not even attempt it.

12 hours ago, Niogenesis said:

I don't want to remove mods to help performance because I know what mod is causing the problem and it is one of the main mods on it

You might want to choose a new "main mod", because it sounds like the one in question has performance issues. As MDW01 said, if you limit the CPU usage for that server, when your "main mod" wants to suck up all those sweet sweet CPU cycles and can't, that server will bog right out, causing issues.

You have to ask yourself the question: Which is worse, unplayable server, or server without this "main mod"?

In short you shouldn't.

4 minutes ago, Ugdhar said:

You might want to choose a new "main mod"

If you are still planning on doing this, try @MDW01's approach. There are some other (possibly better) approaches but they are OS specific, what are you running?

About Me

Spoiler

My Discord - Cadiboo#8887

My WebsiteCadiboo.github.io

My ModsCadiboo.github.io/projects

My TutorialsCadiboo.github.io/tutorials

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

12 hours ago, Niogenesis said:

I am currently running it on Windows 10

Use @MDW01's approach. I don't know anything off the top of my head but for mac & linux there are apps (and console commands) that allow you to forcibly limit a specific application's ram, cpu & network usage. You could try looking at windows versions of these.

About Me

Spoiler

My Discord - Cadiboo#8887

My WebsiteCadiboo.github.io

My ModsCadiboo.github.io/projects

My TutorialsCadiboo.github.io/tutorials

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)