Making an item

Big_Bad_E

Yes this is probably asked a ton.

I always forget how to do the whole item creation 1.12 system.

My item isn't appearing, and the lang file doesn't seem to work at all.

I made a tab though!

I think I've messed up in the asset path, and somewhere with making the item. 

Lang path:

src/main/resources/assets/cfd/lang

Item image path:

src/main/resources/assets/cfd/textures/items/testitem.png

Item class:

public class TestItem extends Item {
	public TestItem() {
		setRegistryName("testitem");
		setUnlocalizedName("testitem");
		setCreativeTab(CookingForDummies.cfdTab);
	}

}

Registry:

public class Registery {

private static TestItem testItem = new TestItem();

@SubscribeEvent
	public void registerItems(RegistryEvent.Register<Item> event) {
		event.getRegistry().register(testItem);
	}
}

Common Proxy:

public class CommonProxy {
	public void preInit(FMLPreInitializationEvent event) {
		MinecraftForge.EVENT_BUS.register(new Registery());
	}

public void init(FMLInitializationEvent event) {

}

public void postInit(FMLPostInitializationEvent event) {

}
}

Main Class:

@Mod(modid = "cfb", name = "Cooking For Blockheads", version = "v1.0.0")
public class CookingForDummies {
	@SidedProxy(clientSide="com.bigbade.cookingfordummies.proxies.ClientProxy", serverSide="com.bigbade.cookingfordummies.proxies.ServerProxy")
	public static CommonProxy proxy;
	public static CreativeTabs cfdTab = new CFDTab(CreativeTabs.getNextID(),"Cooking For Dummies");
	public void preInit(FMLPreInitializationEvent event) {
		proxy.preInit(event);
	}

public void init(FMLInitializationEvent event) {
		proxy.init(event);
	}

public void postInit(FMLPostInitializationEvent event) {
		proxy.postInit(event);
	}
}

Yes I know there is something with JSON files for textures and stuff but i'm not gonna work on that until the item is in the creative tab.

5 hours ago, Big_Bad_E said:

public class Registery {

You can tag this class as @Mod.EventBusSubscriber and not worry about calling the event bus registry in your proxy

@SubscribeEvent public void registerItems(RegistryEvent.Register<Item> event) {

But this has to be static for that to happen

@Mod(modid = "cfb", name = "Cooking For Blockheads", version = "v1.0.0")

But, what's going on here? You do know 'Cooking for Dummies' is close, but using 'Cooking For Blockheads' is literally just using the name of another mod?

Developing the Spiral Power Mod .

こんにちは!お元気ですか?

The first thing to do is confirm that all your code is being executed. Like add console print statements (or use breakpoints and debug mode if you prefer) at each of the methods and key points in the code, and you can also print off key values. For example, you should confirm that the registry event is actually firing.

Some things like whether the proxy classes are in the right asset location are hard to tell from a forum posting, but again tracing the code execution might help you identify the problem.

I would probably try to put the item on a vanilla tab before trying it on your custom tab, just to make things even simpler.

Also, I imagine your console is already spewing some errors related to the missing models, but perhaps there are other relevant errors being printed. You should go through the whole thing carefully.

Edited by jabelar

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

10 hours ago, Rohzek said:

You can tag this class as @Mod.EventBusSubscriber and not worry about calling the event bus registry in your proxy

But this has to be static for that to happen

But, what's going on here? You do know 'Cooking for Dummies' is close, but using 'Cooking For Blockheads' is literally just using the name of another mod?

I know Cooking for Blockheads mod, I accidentally keep on typing CFB or Cooking For Blockheads idk why, and Cooking For Dummies is just a placeholder name for now :P I'm not that creative, will hopefully think of something decent later.

I made the registry method static, I didn't see that in the documentation and was being dumb.

10 hours ago, jabelar said:

The first thing to do is confirm that all your code is being executed. Like add console print statements (or use breakpoints and debug mode if you prefer) at each of the methods and key points in the code, and you can also print off key values. For example, you should confirm that the registry event is actually firing.

Some things like whether the proxy classes are in the right asset location are hard to tell from a forum posting, but again tracing the code execution might help you identify the problem.

I would probably try to put the item on a vanilla tab before trying it on your custom tab, just to make things even simpler.

Also, I imagine your console is already spewing some errors related to the missing models, but perhaps there are other relevant errors being printed. You should go through the whole thing carefully.

Nope, I should of said no errors, but the problem is still going on, error debugging right now, will be debugging.

I will be working on this myself, but if anyone has an idea why my code isn't working please reply. 

Yeah the registry event isn't running, even with the EventBusSubscriber tag.

Edited by Big_Bad_E