trouble running mods on a server

SilverD4C

You're starting it with the forge jar and not the minecraft jar, right?

This is my Forum Signature, I am currently attempting to transform it into a small guide for fixing easier issues using spoiler blocks to keep things tidy.

As the most common issue I feel I should put this outside the main bulk:

The only official source for Forge is https://files.minecraftforge.net, and the only site I trust for getting mods is CurseForge.

If you use any site other than these, please take a look at the StopModReposts project and install their browser extension, I would also advise running a virus scan.

For players asking for assistance with Forge please expand the spoiler below and read the appropriate section(s) in its/their entirety.

Spoiler

Logs (Most issues require logs to diagnose):

Spoiler

Please post logs using one of the following sites (Thank you Lumber Wizard for the list):

https://gist.github.com/100MB Requires member (Free)

https://pastebin.com/: 512KB as guest, 10MB as Pro ($$$)

https://hastebin.com/: 400KB

Do NOT use sites like Mediafire, Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, or a site that has a countdown before offering downloads.

What to provide:

...for Crashes and Runtime issues:

Minecraft 1.14.4 and newer:

Post debug.log

Older versions:

Please update...

...for Installer Issues:

Post your installer log, found in the same place you ran the installer

This log will be called either installer.log or named the same as the installer but with .log on the end

Note for Windows users:

Windows hides file extensions by default so the installer may appear without the .jar extension then when the .log is added the log will appear with the .jar extension

Where to get it:

Mojang Launcher: When using the Mojang launcher debug.log is found in .minecraft\logs.

Curse/Overwolf: If you are using the Curse Launcher, their configurations break Forge's log settings, fortunately there is an easier workaround than I originally thought, this works even with Curse's installation of the Minecraft launcher as long as it is not launched THROUGH Twitch:

Spoiler
  1. Make sure you have the correct version of Forge installed (some packs are heavily dependent on one specific build of Forge)
  2. Make a launcher profile targeting this version of Forge.
  3. Set the launcher profile's GameDir property to the pack's instance folder (not the instances folder, the folder that has the pack's name on it).
  4. Now launch the pack through that profile and follow the "Mojang Launcher" instructions above.

Video:

Spoiler

or alternately, 

Fallback ("No logs are generated"):

If you don't see logs generated in the usual place, provide the launcher_log.txt from .minecraft

Server Not Starting:

Spoiler

If your server does not start or a command window appears and immediately goes away, run the jar manually and provide the output.

Reporting Illegal/Inappropriate Adfocus Ads:

Spoiler

Get a screenshot of the URL bar or copy/paste the whole URL into a thread on the General Discussion board with a description of the Ad.

Lex will need the Ad ID contained in that URL to report it to Adfocus' support team.

Posting your mod as a GitHub Repo:

Spoiler

When you have an issue with your mod the most helpful thing you can do when asking for help is to provide your code to those helping you. The most convenient way to do this is via GitHub or another source control hub.

When setting up a GitHub Repo it might seem easy to just upload everything, however this method has the potential for mistakes that could lead to trouble later on, it is recommended to use a Git client or to get comfortable with the Git command line. The following instructions will use the Git Command Line and as such they assume you already have it installed and that you have created a repository.

1. Open a command prompt (CMD, Powershell, Terminal, etc).
  2. Navigate to the folder you extracted Forge’s MDK to (the one that had all the licenses in).
  3. Run the following commands:
    1. git init
    2. git remote add origin [Your Repository's URL]
      • In the case of GitHub it should look like: https://GitHub.com/[Your Username]/[Repo Name].git
    3. git fetch
    4. git checkout --track origin/master
    5. git stage *
    6. git commit -m "[Your commit message]"
    7. git push
  4. Navigate to GitHub and you should now see most of the files.
    • note that it is intentional that some are not synced with GitHub and this is done with the (hidden) .gitignore file that Forge’s MDK has provided (hence the strictness on which folder git init is run from)
  5. Now you can share your GitHub link with those who you are asking for help.

[Workaround line, please ignore]

3 minutes ago, DaemonUmbra said:

You're starting it with the forge jar and not the minecraft jar, right?

is there a way to start with the forge jar the one that i installed created the minecraft server jar after running so i only have jars labled

forge-1.12.2-14.23.4.2705-universal

minecraft-server 1.12.2

You start the forge universal the same way you would start the server

This is my Forum Signature, I am currently attempting to transform it into a small guide for fixing easier issues using spoiler blocks to keep things tidy.

The only official source for Forge is https://files.minecraftforge.net, and the only site I trust for getting mods is CurseForge.

If you use any site other than these, please take a look at the StopModReposts project and install their browser extension, I would also advise running a virus scan.

For players asking for assistance with Forge please expand the spoiler below and read the appropriate section(s) in its/their entirety.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Please post logs using one of the following sites (Thank you Lumber Wizard for the list):

Do NOT use sites like Mediafire, Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, or a site that has a countdown before offering downloads.

What to provide:

Post debug.log

Older versions:

Please update...

...for Installer Issues:

This log will be called either installer.log or named the same as the installer but with .log on the end

Note for Windows users:

Windows hides file extensions by default so the installer may appear without the .jar extension then when the .log is added the log will appear with the .jar extension

Where to get it:

Mojang Launcher: When using the Mojang launcher debug.log is found in .minecraft\logs.

Curse/Overwolf: If you are using the Curse Launcher, their configurations break Forge's log settings, fortunately there is an easier workaround than I originally thought, this works even with Curse's installation of the Minecraft launcher as long as it is not launched THROUGH Twitch:

Spoiler
  1. Make sure you have the correct version of Forge installed (some packs are heavily dependent on one specific build of Forge)
  3. Set the launcher profile's GameDir property to the pack's instance folder (not the instances folder, the folder that has the pack's name on it).
  4. Now launch the pack through that profile and follow the "Mojang Launcher" instructions above.

Video:

Spoiler

or alternately, 

If you don't see logs generated in the usual place, provide the launcher_log.txt from .minecraft

Server Not Starting:

Spoiler

If your server does not start or a command window appears and immediately goes away, run the jar manually and provide the output.

Spoiler

Get a screenshot of the URL bar or copy/paste the whole URL into a thread on the General Discussion board with a description of the Ad.

Lex will need the Ad ID contained in that URL to report it to Adfocus' support team.

Spoiler

When you have an issue with your mod the most helpful thing you can do when asking for help is to provide your code to those helping you. The most convenient way to do this is via GitHub or another source control hub.

When setting up a GitHub Repo it might seem easy to just upload everything, however this method has the potential for mistakes that could lead to trouble later on, it is recommended to use a Git client or to get comfortable with the Git command line. The following instructions will use the Git Command Line and as such they assume you already have it installed and that you have created a repository.

2. Navigate to the folder you extracted Forge’s MDK to (the one that had all the licenses in).
    1. git init
      • In the case of GitHub it should look like: https://GitHub.com/[Your Username]/[Repo Name].git
    3. git fetch
    5. git stage *
    7. git push
    • note that it is intentional that some are not synced with GitHub and this is done with the (hidden) .gitignore file that Forge’s MDK has provided (hence the strictness on which folder git init is run from)

Start it from the command line and show what it spits out

Spoiler

Spoiler

What to provide:

Post debug.log

Older versions:

Please update...

...for Installer Issues:

Note for Windows users:

Where to get it:

Spoiler

Video:

Spoiler

or alternately, 

Server Not Starting:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

1. git init
    3. git fetch
    5. git stage *
    7. git push

When I say command prompt I mean if you're on Windows use cmd(or Powershell), if you're on a *nix OS or Mac, use a Terminal, navigate to the server's folder and type

java -jar forge-1.12.2-14.23.4.2705-universal.jar -Xmx3G -Xms3G nogui

Edited by DaemonUmbra

Spoiler

Spoiler

What to provide:

Post debug.log

Older versions:

Please update...

...for Installer Issues:

Note for Windows users:

Where to get it:

Spoiler

Video:

Spoiler

or alternately, 

Server Not Starting:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

1. git init
    3. git fetch
    5. git stage *
    7. git push

5 minutes ago, DaemonUmbra said:

When I say command prompt I mean if you're on Windows use cmd(or Powershell), if you're on a *nix OS or Mac, use a Terminal, navigate to the server's folder and type "java -jar forge-1.12.2-14.23.4.2705-universal.jar -Xmx3G -Xms3G nogui"

how would i do that sorry im new at this and google doesnt help i know how to get to cmd but i have no idea how to open it from there

Ok, I'm not in the mood for a cmd tutorial so let's take a shortcut:

open the server folder in file explorer

click anywhere that won't select a file

hold shift and right click without selecting a file

click open <Command Prompt/Powershell Window> here

once you've done that follow the instructions from my previous reply

11 minutes ago, DaemonUmbra said:

type

java -jar forge-1.12.2-14.23.4.2705-universal.jar -Xmx3G -Xms3G nogui

Edited by DaemonUmbra

Spoiler

Spoiler

What to provide:

Post debug.log

Older versions:

Please update...

...for Installer Issues:

Note for Windows users:

Where to get it:

Spoiler

Video:

Spoiler

or alternately, 

Server Not Starting:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

1. git init
    3. git fetch
    5. git stage *
    7. git push

4 minutes ago, DaemonUmbra said:

Ok, I'm not in the mood for a cmd tutorial so let's take a shortcut:

open the server folder in file explorer

click anywhere that won't select a file

hold shift and right click without selecting a file

click open <Command Prompt/Powershell Window> here

once you've done that follow the instructions from my previous reply

Im sorry if this is annoying thanks for sticking around and helping

here is what it says 

A problem occurred running the Server launcher.java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at net.minecraftforge.fml.relauncher.ServerLaunchWrapper.run(ServerLaunchWrapper.java:62)
        at net.minecraftforge.fml.relauncher.ServerLaunchWrapper.main(ServerLaunchWrapper.java:31)
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/logging/log4j/Level
        at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:94)
        at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28)
        ... 6 more
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.logging.log4j.Level
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        ... 8 more

Saw this same error with someone else the minecraft server jar was getting corrupted when Forge's installer downloaded it, try this:

On 5/28/2018 at 3:25 PM, DaemonUmbra said:

Try getting the server from Mojang's official site and replace yours with that one Note: Link will start the download from Mojang's servers and you will need to rename it to match what forge is expecting.

Forge is expecting minecraft_server.1.12.2.jar

Edited by DaemonUmbra

Spoiler

Spoiler

What to provide:

Post debug.log

Older versions:

Please update...

...for Installer Issues:

Note for Windows users:

Where to get it:

Spoiler

Video:

Spoiler

or alternately, 

Server Not Starting:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

1. git init
    3. git fetch
    5. git stage *
    7. git push

7 minutes ago, DaemonUmbra said:

Saw this same error with someone else the minecraft server jar was getting corrupted when Forge's installer downloaded it, try this:

Forge is expecting minecraft_server.1.12.2.jar

alright i did that and i checked if the mods would work but to no avail

Are you getting the same error when you try to launch it?

Spoiler

Spoiler

What to provide:

Post debug.log

Older versions:

Please update...

...for Installer Issues:

Note for Windows users:

Where to get it:

Spoiler

Video:

Spoiler

or alternately, 

Server Not Starting:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

1. git init
    3. git fetch
    5. git stage *
    7. git push

2 minutes ago, DaemonUmbra said:

Are you getting the same error when you try to launch it?

well i think

>>         at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
>>         at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
>>         at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
>>         at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
>>         at net.minecraftforge.fml.relauncher.ServerLaunchWrapper.run(ServerLaunchWrapper.java:62)
>>         at net.minecraftforge.fml.relauncher.ServerLaunchWrapper.main(ServerLaunchWrapper.java:31)
>> Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/logging/log4j/Level
>>         at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:94)
>>         at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28)
>>         ... 6 more
>> Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.logging.log4j.Level
>>         at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
>>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
>>         at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
>>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
>>         ... 8 more
A : The term 'A' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the
spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:1
+ A problem occurred running the Server launcher.java.lang.reflect.Invo ...
+ ~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (A:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

Native : The term 'Native' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program.
Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:2 char:57
+ ...        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
+                                                            ~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Native:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

Unknown : The term 'Unknown' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program.
Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:3 char:56
+ ...        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
+                                                           ~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Unknown:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

Unknown : The term 'Unknown' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program.
At line:4 char:60
+ ...    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
+                                                           ~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Unknown:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

At line:5 char:44
+         at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
+                                            ~~~~~~~

ServerLaunchWrapper.java:62 : The term 'ServerLaunchWrapper.java:62' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet,
function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the
path is correct and try again.
At line:6 char:70
+ ... e.fml.relauncher.ServerLaunchWrapper.run(ServerLaunchWrapper.java:62)
+                                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (ServerLaunchWrapper.java:62:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

ServerLaunchWrapper.java:31 : The term 'ServerLaunchWrapper.java:31' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet,
function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the
path is correct and try again.
At line:7 char:71
+ ... .fml.relauncher.ServerLaunchWrapper.main(ServerLaunchWrapper.java:31)
+                                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (ServerLaunchWrapper.java:31:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

Caused : The term 'Caused' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program.
At line:8 char:1
+ Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/logging/log4j/L ...
+ ~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Caused:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

Launch.java:94 : The term 'Launch.java:94' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or
operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try
again.
At line:9 char:54
+         at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:94)
+                                                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Launch.java:94:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

Launch.java:28 : The term 'Launch.java:28' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or
operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try
again.
At line:10 char:52
+         at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28)
+                                                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Launch.java:28:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

... : The term '...' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the
spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:11 char:9
+         ... 6 more
+         ~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (...:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

Caused : The term 'Caused' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program.
At line:12 char:1
+ Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.logging.log4j ...
+ ~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Caused:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

At line:13 char:46
+         at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
+                                              ~~~~~~~

At line:14 char:44
+         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

At line:15 char:55
+         at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
+                                                       ~~~~~~~

At line:16 char:44
+         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

... : The term '...' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the
At line:17 char:9
+         ... 8 more
+         ~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (...:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

log4j is a code library embedded in Minecraft, can you still not post a screenshot of the folder your server is in?

Spoiler

Spoiler

What to provide:

Post debug.log

Older versions:

Please update...

...for Installer Issues:

Note for Windows users:

Where to get it:

Spoiler

Video:

Spoiler

or alternately, 

Server Not Starting:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

1. git init
    3. git fetch
    5. git stage *
    7. git push

3 minutes ago, DaemonUmbra said:

log4j is a code library embedded in Minecraft, can you still not post a screenshot of the folder your server is in?

from what ive tried no it wont even save to the usual place ever since ive updated to windows 10

If you use snipping tool you can take the shot, copy, and paste it in here

Spoiler

Spoiler

What to provide:

Post debug.log

Older versions:

Please update...

...for Installer Issues:

Note for Windows users:

Where to get it:

Spoiler

Video:

Spoiler

or alternately, 

Server Not Starting:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

1. git init
    3. git fetch
    5. git stage *
    7. git push

Can you take another shot that includes the filesize? it's in one of the columns being squashed into the scrollbar

Spoiler

Spoiler

What to provide:

Post debug.log

Older versions:

Please update...

...for Installer Issues:

Note for Windows users:

Where to get it:

Spoiler

Video:

Spoiler

or alternately, 

Server Not Starting:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

1. git init
    3. git fetch
    5. git stage *
    7. git push

Can you take that shot again but first click on View and check the box next to "File Name Extensions"

Spoiler

Spoiler

What to provide:

Post debug.log

Older versions:

Please update...

...for Installer Issues:

Note for Windows users:

Where to get it:

Spoiler

Video:

Spoiler

or alternately, 

Server Not Starting:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

1. git init
    3. git fetch
    5. git stage *
    7. git push

There's your issue, because you had file extensions hidden you added a .jar to the minecraft server's name then your computer tacked another one on... now that you have them showing you can remove one of them and your computer won't tack on another

Spoiler

Spoiler

What to provide:

Post debug.log

Older versions:

Please update...

...for Installer Issues:

Note for Windows users:

Where to get it:

Spoiler

Video:

Spoiler

or alternately, 

Server Not Starting:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

1. git init
    3. git fetch
    5. git stage *
    7. git push

5 minutes ago, DaemonUmbra said:

There's your issue, because you had file extensions hidden you added a .jar to the minecraft server's name then your computer tacked another one on... now that you have them showing you can remove one of them and your computer won't tack on another

ive been trying for 4 days and all i had to do was to rename my file 

thanks man it finally works