Good resources for GUI building?

EronKutov

Hi,

I'm brand-new to the modding scene, so I've been following some of the recommended tutorials for the basics. The mod that I really want to build involves having a GUI that opens with a keybind(as opposed to clicking on a TileEntity), and I'm having trouble finding a good tutorial that will guide me through the basics of that process. Does anyone have a good recommendation for where to start? Thanks!

On the client you can open a GUI any time you want with the Minecraft.getMinecraft().displayGuiScreen() method. Of course that needs to be called from code that is running on the client because the Minecraft class is client-side only. So I usually put that in a proxy method. 

Like in your IProxy interface you can add a method called openMyGui() and in the client proxy implementation run the code above but of course pass in your custom GUI instance to the displayGuiScreen() method, and in your server proxy implementation you can do nothing.

Then you can just call proxy.openMyGui() whenever you want to open your GUI. In your case you said you want to do it in response to a key bind, so in your code that runs when the keybind is activated just put the proxy.openMyGui() call there.

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/