Should I even bother installing past Forge versions?

Balloon

My grandson wants to install a Minecraft mod that he saw featured on YouTube. It is from a 2014 video and requires an older version of Minecraft and Forge. I spent 3 hours this morning trying to get at least one version of this mod to work on Windows 10, and failed. 

I was able to install Forge version 1.7.10-10.13.2.1230, but the mod for that version kept crashing.

I installed Forge versions (using the Windows installer)

1.8.9-11.15.1.1722

1.8-11.14.4.1563

(after downloading and playing MC version 1.8 and 1.8.9),

But when I re-start MC, those Forge Versions are not listed as one of the profiles to choose from.

I tried installing Forge version 1.7.10-10.13.0.1180 and got the message 

"Successfully installed client profile Forge for version Forge 10.13.0.1180 into launcher and grabbed 0 required libraries"

but the game crashes to desktop as soon as I select that profile and click "Play".

There are loads of other older mods that my grandson has seen on Youtube and wants to try, and I don't want to disappoint him, but if getting these past Forge versions and mods to run should require manipulating versions of Java on my computer, I don't want to go there. Should I just tell him that we will install only new mods? I successfully installed a mod for version 1.12.2 and it worked perfectly.

There is a very good reason we don't support 1.7.10 and earlier. There were a lot of mod breaking changes from 1.7.10 to 1.8 which is why so many mods stopped being updated. Now as we do recommend you try to stick to 1.12.2 we will also be able to help you with any version from 1.8 - 1.12. Whether it be issues with installing forge or the game crashing we will be glad to help. If you need anything else just let us know.

• You mentioned you were experiencing issues with the windows installer I recommend you use the jar installer this may fix some of the issues you are having.
  • Make sure that you also only download mods from curseforge.
  • You shouldn't have to manipulate your java version. Just make sure you are only using Java 8.