Trying to learn blockstates and config files...

AmeliaLotus

I've looked in quite a few places where people are using Config files, as well as beautiful blockstates... but I cannot understand a single thing...

All I'm looking for is a tutorial on learning how to do a simple configuration file (to enable and disable any block you create), as well as learning how to do Blockstates like you would for wool. I want to be able to dye my block any of the 16 colors simply by using dye. I don't want to have to create hundreds of recipe changes for each and every one (256 combinations for each block I want to make)

Is there anywhere I can start learning this? My current mod-code is listed on my GitHub here: https://github.com/AmeliaLotus/LightMod

1 hour ago, aw_wolfe said:

I know. Love to greyghost.

So I did the config stuff ... and the config button still can't be clicked in the forge mods section...

Am I missing something? Maybe I need to add more than what GreyGhost has?

EDIT: It gave an error. I fixed it. It works now. Thanks!

EDIT2: I don't think he shows how to do EnumColor like wool does... All that should be required is some sort of EnumColor property... Unless I really don't know what I'm talking about at all...

Edited by AmeliaLotus

Ok so, here's what you need to know:

1) Metadata is an implementation detail dealing with how the block serializes to disk as well as the metadata of the item form (however these two values may not be the same: modders use the same values for simplicity's sake, but nothing in the code requires it). That's it.

2) The properties handle how the block is dealt with at run time, including its blockstate.json file (represented by strings)

3) The blockstate,json file dictates what model to use (and any state-based overrides)

4) The model dictates what texture(s) to use.

5) The blockstate state based overrides can alter the texture

• Like 1

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

18 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

Ok so, here's what you need to know:

1) Metadata is an implementation detail dealing with how the block serializes to disk as well as the metadata of the item form (however these two values may not be the same: modders use the same values for simplicity's sake, but nothing in the code requires it). That's it.

2) The properties handle how the block is dealt with at run time, including its blockstate.json file (represented by strings)

3) The blockstate,json file dictates what model to use (and any state-based overrides)

4) The model dictates what texture(s) to use.

5) The blockstate state based overrides can alter the texture

Right. I understood that actually. (except the serializes to disk part.. but I am pretty sure I know what you mean)

The problem I'm having is that I'm extending BlockColored .. I'll pastebin link you to show you how...  
Pastebin1: https://pastebin.com/vAGwaMq9
So I'm trying to make the blockstate in the form of Meta data, instead of how I've always done it. Perhaps the json is where I've messed up... I have different textures for each and every metadata variant ("Color"), as well as a default state just in case.
Pastebin2: https://pastebin.com/mKb7ycG0

Any ideas on how I'd fix this ?

6 minutes ago, AmeliaLotus said:

(except the serializes to disk part.. but I am pretty sure I know what you mean)

getMetaFromState is only used by Minecraft to save the world to disk.

7 minutes ago, AmeliaLotus said:

So I'm trying to make the blockstate in the form of Meta data, instead of how I've always done it

"How you've always done it" is in the form of metadata: magic integers ("why does 1 mean north for ladders, but south for furnaces? And white for dye and black for wool?" because magic numbers, that's why).

In any case, the enum you have in your class file there is useless, get rid of it. All it is is a duplicate of the EnumColor supplied by vanilla minecraft (and used by BlockColored). This is likely the source of your issues.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

30 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

getMetaFromState is only used by Minecraft to save the world to disk.

"How you've always done it" is in the form of metadata: magic integers ("why does 1 mean north for ladders, but south for furnaces? And white for dye and black for wool?" because magic numbers, that's why).

In any case, the enum you have in your class file there is useless, get rid of it. All it is is a duplicate of the EnumColor supplied by vanilla minecraft (and used by BlockColored). This is likely the source of your issues.

How do I set up a block with Meta data if I can't use the EnumColor? Is it automatic when setting up a block that extends BlockColored? Sorry, minecraft modding is still somewhat new to me especially with metadata...

EDIT: Getting an error: Exception loading model for variant blockstatetraining:lighted_glass_block#color=white for blockstate "blockstatetraining:lighted_glass_block

Edited by AmeliaLotus

6 minutes ago, AmeliaLotus said:

Is it automatic when setting up a block that extends BlockColored?

Its handled by this method:

@Override
protected BlockStateContainer createBlockState() {
	return new BlockStateContainer(this, new IProperty[] { /*The properties you want*/ });
}

BlockColored already declares this method and the color property.

3 hours ago, AmeliaLotus said:

EDIT: Getting an error: Exception loading model for variant blockstatetraining:lighted_glass_block#color=white for blockstate "blockstatetraining:lighted_glass_block

This means your blockstate file is missing a variant for the color property. Specifically "color=white".

In the case of learning how blockstates work and the syntax of them look into the vanilla blockstate files, and take a look at forge's documentation of vanilla and forge blockstates.

Then once you understand them I have a class that automatically makes a blockstate file for a specified block here. This is meant for blocks that have a ridiculous amount of variants like pipes.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

1 hour ago, Animefan8888 said:

This means your blockstate file is missing a variant for the color property. Specifically "color=white".

Not neccessarily. The error is only the surface error:
 - It can be caused by a missing block state file (the game still fails to find the variant)
 - It can be caused by a malformed json file (the game still fails to find the variant)

- It can be caused by an incomplete json file (as you suggest, the game still fails to find the variant)

- It can be caused by a missing or bad model file (e.g. something the blockstate file says to load, but the game fails to find, the game still fails to find the variant)

The surface level error "variant failed to load" is meaningless until you dig deeper to find the "Caused By" line following it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Animefan8888 said:

In the case of learning how blockstates work and the syntax of them look into the vanilla blockstate files, and take a look at forge's documentation of vanilla and forge blockstates.

Then once you understand them I have a class that automatically makes a blockstate file for a specified block here. This is meant for blocks that have a ridiculous amount of variants like pipes.

The vanilla and forge blockstate documention is super easy to follow, and I already understood most of it, due to using it in my mod "LightMod"... Though the blockstate doesn't seem to work with my new BlockColored block.

13 hours ago, Draco18s said:

Not neccessarily. The error is only the surface error:
 - It can be caused by a missing block state file (the game still fails to find the variant)
 - It can be caused by a malformed json file (the game still fails to find the variant)

- It can be caused by an incomplete json file (as you suggest, the game still fails to find the variant)

- It can be caused by a missing or bad model file (e.g. something the blockstate file says to load, but the game fails to find, the game still fails to find the variant)

The surface level error "variant failed to load" is meaningless until you dig deeper to find the "Caused By" line following it.

So I tried my best to rewrite the json's... However, I am getting an error that's almost the same. Basically says "I'm looking for #color=white, and you're giving me

[color=white]

Also, there should be a way to write the blockstate.json to where I can completely skip the models.json portion, right?  

Let's assume I keep all of the default metadata for BlockColored and create a new block from it... an example.json that I looked at is this->
https://pastebin.com/fFtfPEnJ

So instead of trying that, since it apparently was not doing anything, I changed it up and made it similar to a simpler variant blockstate... this->https://pastebin.com/ycAntGth

Neither work. It MIGHT not be the .json files unless I have to code something differently. This also means I have a whole lot more to learn than what I can learn from the previous examples...

Help?

Edited by AmeliaLotus

4 minutes ago, AmeliaLotus said:

So I tried my best to rewrite the json's... However, I am getting an error that's almost the same. Basically says "I'm looking for #color=white, and you're giving me ""

Please post your whole log. Is your BlockState file located in assets/modid/blockstates? Does your BlockState file have the same name as your blocks registry name?

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

1 minute ago, Animefan8888 said:

Please post your whole log. Is your BlockState file located in assets/modid/blockstates? Does your BlockState file have the same name as your blocks registry name?

I went ahead and uploaded the entire src to GitHub-> https://github.com/AmeliaLotus/BlockStateTraining

The console error that's relevant is here: https://pastebin.com/7eKu4LM1

Yes, my blockstates are found in assets/bst/blockstates and the file name is identical to the registry name. As defined by this line of code:

public static final Block LIGHTED_GLASS_BLOCK = new LightedGlassBlock("lighted_glass_block", Material.GLASS);

5 minutes ago, AmeliaLotus said:

Yes, my blockstates are found in assets/bst/blockstates and the file name is identical to the registry name. As defined by this line of code:

I don't believe your BlockState file is correct. You declare the forge version, and then try to use the vanilla version to define the variants.

1 minute ago, Animefan8888 said:

I don't believe your BlockState file is correct. You declare the forge version, and then try to use the vanilla version to define the variants.

Even just erasing the forge_marker doesn't seem to do anything... Still, I had forgotten that I am Technically using vanilla versions of the BlockColored class. 

Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Encountered an exception when loading model definition of model blockstatetraining:blockstates/lighted_glass_block.json

Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: blockstatetraining:blockstates/lighted_glass_block.json

you need to dig deeper to find the "Caused By" line

Your modID is "blockstatetraining", but your assets folder is named "bst"

Edited by Draco18s
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, AmeliaLotus said:

public static final String MODID = "blockstatetraining"; does not equal "bst"

4 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Encountered an exception when loading model definition of model blockstatetraining:blockstates/lighted_glass_block.json

Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: blockstatetraining:blockstates/lighted_glass_block.json

Thank you Draco18s for making that evident I need sleep, but I need to finish this tutorial.

17 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

Your modID is "blockstatetraining", but your assets folder is named "bst"

I cannot believe I just made a rookie mistake like that. I'm used to initials and for some reason I went with a full name this time... 

Thanks a whole bunch!

This code should be having no problems register the item stack from the metadata

Spoiler

@SubscribeEvent
        public static void registerItemBlocks(final RegistryEvent.Register<Item> event) {
            final ItemBlock[] items = {
                    //Item registry goes here (Blocks need both)
                    new ItemCloth(LIGHTED_GLASS_BLOCK),
            };

final IForgeRegistry<Item> registry = event.getRegistry();

for (final ItemBlock item : items) {
                final Block block = item.getBlock();
                final ResourceLocation registryName = Preconditions.checkNotNull(block.getRegistryName(), "Block %s has null registry name", block);
                registry.register(item.setRegistryName(registryName));
                ITEM_BLOCKS.add(item);
            }
        }

And yet this code in the json: 

Spoiler

"variants": {
        "color=white": [{
            "textures": {
                "all": "blockstatetraining:lighted_glass_white"
            },
            "model": "blockstatetraining:lighted_glass_white"
        }],

Doesn't even work for "textures". I made sure to re-read forge documentation as well. No errors at all. This should 100% work... the Blocks work perfectly, just not the items in your hands.

3 minutes ago, AmeliaLotus said:

Doesn't even work for "textures". I made sure to re-read forge documentation as well. No errors at all. This should 100% work... the Blocks work perfectly, just not the items in your hands.

You haven't declared all the variants, I believe this is your problem, but I can't be sure without the log.

20 minutes ago, Animefan8888 said:

You haven't declared all the variants, I believe this is your problem, but I can't be sure without the log.

I ended up scrapping it since it broke the entire thing after messing with it. 

Back to the drawing board for registering this entire thing...

Do you happen to have anywhere to point me to as a tutorial for registering the item textures for this situation? 

29 minutes ago, AmeliaLotus said:

Do you happen to have anywhere to point me to as a tutorial for registering the item textures for this situation?

Honestly?

Grab these two classes. They're set up as Common/Client proxy, just wire them up to use your own mod class rather than HardLib and change the package name (or if you want, declare a dependency on HardLib, I wouldn't mind the extra downloads).

Then use EasyRegistry.registerItem(...) and EasyRegistry.registerBlock(...) (or the -WithVariants version).

I've done a lot of work to make the system easy to use and still conform to proper registration methods.

Edited by Draco18s