Correct approach to store globally accessible values

DeadPix

Hello, 

in mod I am working on I have a need to store some values that I would need to check on in multiple places in my mod. I know that this value will be unique for every player (pretty much every instance of Minecraft running the mod will have this value different).

In Android, there are SharedPreferences into which one can store such information. Is there dedicated class/space in forge that I should take advantage of? Is there a recommended approach for this?

Or will it be okay just to create a public static class, let's say SharedPreferences with HashMap and getters and setters for indexes in the HashMap?

Thank you in advance.

54 minutes ago, DeadPix said:

Hello, 

in mod I am working on I have a need to store some values that I would need to check on in multiple places in my mod. I know that this value will be unique for every player (pretty much every instance of Minecraft running the mod will have this value different).

In Android, there are SharedPreferences into which one can store such information. Is there dedicated class/space in forge that I should take advantage of? Is there a recommended approach for this?

Or will it be okay just to create a public static class, let's say SharedPreferences with HashMap and getters and setters for indexes in the HashMap?

Thank you in advance.

Are these values gonna be accessed on the server or is this a client only feature?

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

2 minutes ago, DeadPix said:

I am not sure how to exactly determine that. But probably only client side? It will be mostly client relevant values like 'is this thing on or off' and similar. Is that client side only?

Sounds like you need to read about sides.

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

1 minute ago, DeadPix said:

So, what does it mean for my original question, please?

I would just store it in a static variable in your ClientProxy or an @SideOnly(Side.CLIENT) class.

Actually the more important question is whether this value needs to persist between saves. If it does not, then you are free to create public static fields that store the values, and then regenerate them each time the game starts. But if you need to save them then generally you would add them either to the player or to the world in a saveable way, such as using the WorldSaveData mechanism. You can also pretty easily just create your own file format for saving the information -- like on client side you could store it along with config info.

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

4 minutes ago, jabelar said:

You can also pretty easily just create your own file format for saving the information -- like on client side you could store it along with config info. 

@DeadPix Though I would only do this if, this value doesn't control anything important as it could be edited by the player.

@jabelar@Animefan8888

Alright, thank you guys for your input - in the end, I decided to create a weaker version of aforementioned SharedPreferences (for boolean value only) and it seems to work exactly as I wanted it to. I need it only client side - and the scenario when player edits those values, is not a problem. I do not need it to persist between game loads, so I also do not save it anywhere, but in the future I will need some persistent functionality for something else, so I am also grateful for your suggestion on reading around it, jabelar. Thanks.