Minecraft using Intel HD Graphics instead AMD Radeon

vpontin

Well, a bit off-topic question.

After seeing on snooper my game apparently is picking Intel GPU instead of AMD Radeon (my laptop is Lenovo G50-80 variant with AMD Radeon R5 M330 embed), since its reporting opengl_vendor as Intel.

So i stumble with this response from diesieben07 and he tell the other guy:

On 8/6/2018 at 7:22 PM, diesieben07 said:

Look up how to change which GPU the game runs on.

I tried to find this solution on Google but unfortunately i didnt find anything relevant. Plus my Radeon is pretty different from the ones listed on the closest answers (sorry for portuguese interface on the print):

image.png.0dca75e142b69a9de03065f8ad266cb3.png

I tried to assing javaw.exe (i use the "new" Mojang launcher but in the profile options i always point for the JRE installed instead of embed one) in this control panel but it still shows me "Intel" as opengl_vendor.

So i'm completely clueless about how to switch it to my dedicated GPU. Any help?

It looks like the most updated way to do this is:

" The fix to this problem is to Install AMD Catalyst Control Centre and Under "Switchable Graphics" under "Power" you can choose which programs can use your AMD GPU "

That should work independent of your specific driver and existing software.

Make sure that you select the specific java installation that forge is using.

Answer copied from Tom's Guide.

Edited by tgt

On 8/8/2018 at 7:43 PM, tgt said:

It looks like the most updated way to do this is:

" The fix to this problem is to Install AMD Catalyst Control Centre and Under "Switchable Graphics" under "Power" you can choose which programs can use your AMD GPU "

That should work independent of your specific driver and existing software.

Make sure that you select the specific java installation that forge is using.

Answer copied from Tom's Guide.

And where can i find the Catalyst control? I downloaded the latest driver for my card and the same control panel i printed came again.

I'm pretty sure it's been discontinued while AMD push Radeon Settings.

My desktop CPU doesn't have onboard graphics so I can't test it myself but I found this on the AMD forums.

This is my Forum Signature, I am currently attempting to transform it into a small guide for fixing easier issues using spoiler blocks to keep things tidy.

As the most common issue I feel I should put this outside the main bulk:

The only official source for Forge is https://files.minecraftforge.net, and the only site I trust for getting mods is CurseForge.

If you use any site other than these, please take a look at the StopModReposts project and install their browser extension, I would also advise running a virus scan.

For players asking for assistance with Forge please expand the spoiler below and read the appropriate section(s) in its/their entirety.

Spoiler

Logs (Most issues require logs to diagnose):

Spoiler

Please post logs using one of the following sites (Thank you Lumber Wizard for the list):

https://gist.github.com/100MB Requires member (Free)

https://pastebin.com/: 512KB as guest, 10MB as Pro ($$$)

https://hastebin.com/: 400KB

Do NOT use sites like Mediafire, Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, or a site that has a countdown before offering downloads.

What to provide:

...for Crashes and Runtime issues:

Minecraft 1.14.4 and newer:

Post debug.log

Older versions:

Please update...

...for Installer Issues:

Post your installer log, found in the same place you ran the installer

This log will be called either installer.log or named the same as the installer but with .log on the end

Note for Windows users:

Windows hides file extensions by default so the installer may appear without the .jar extension then when the .log is added the log will appear with the .jar extension

Where to get it:

Mojang Launcher: When using the Mojang launcher debug.log is found in .minecraft\logs.

Curse/Overwolf: If you are using the Curse Launcher, their configurations break Forge's log settings, fortunately there is an easier workaround than I originally thought, this works even with Curse's installation of the Minecraft launcher as long as it is not launched THROUGH Twitch:

Spoiler
  1. Make sure you have the correct version of Forge installed (some packs are heavily dependent on one specific build of Forge)
  2. Make a launcher profile targeting this version of Forge.
  3. Set the launcher profile's GameDir property to the pack's instance folder (not the instances folder, the folder that has the pack's name on it).
  4. Now launch the pack through that profile and follow the "Mojang Launcher" instructions above.

Video:

Spoiler

or alternately, 

Fallback ("No logs are generated"):

If you don't see logs generated in the usual place, provide the launcher_log.txt from .minecraft

Server Not Starting:

Spoiler

If your server does not start or a command window appears and immediately goes away, run the jar manually and provide the output.

Reporting Illegal/Inappropriate Adfocus Ads:

Spoiler

Get a screenshot of the URL bar or copy/paste the whole URL into a thread on the General Discussion board with a description of the Ad.

Lex will need the Ad ID contained in that URL to report it to Adfocus' support team.

Posting your mod as a GitHub Repo:

Spoiler

When you have an issue with your mod the most helpful thing you can do when asking for help is to provide your code to those helping you. The most convenient way to do this is via GitHub or another source control hub.

When setting up a GitHub Repo it might seem easy to just upload everything, however this method has the potential for mistakes that could lead to trouble later on, it is recommended to use a Git client or to get comfortable with the Git command line. The following instructions will use the Git Command Line and as such they assume you already have it installed and that you have created a repository.

1. Open a command prompt (CMD, Powershell, Terminal, etc).
  2. Navigate to the folder you extracted Forge’s MDK to (the one that had all the licenses in).
  3. Run the following commands:
    1. git init
    2. git remote add origin [Your Repository's URL]
      • In the case of GitHub it should look like: https://GitHub.com/[Your Username]/[Repo Name].git
    3. git fetch
    4. git checkout --track origin/master
    5. git stage *
    6. git commit -m "[Your commit message]"
    7. git push
  4. Navigate to GitHub and you should now see most of the files.
    • note that it is intentional that some are not synced with GitHub and this is done with the (hidden) .gitignore file that Forge’s MDK has provided (hence the strictness on which folder git init is run from)
  5. Now you can share your GitHub link with those who you are asking for help.

[Workaround line, please ignore]

Well i think it can be some issue on Windows 10.

I've updated my drivers to see if Catalyst shows up like @tgt said BUT not only the same control panel (but with more options) was installed, it shows a completely different model for my GPU (now its AMD Radeon HD 8500M). A menu similar to tgt said it would appear on catalyst appeared, but the chrome, firefox and internet explorer are locked and i cant make them use other option than "Power saving" (idk if this is the correct english string, the menu is in portuguese here).

Besides this i launched Vanilla 1.13 and some activity appeared on my GPU 1 chart on Task Manager, seems to be only my 1.12.2 w/ modpack and the rest of browsers (incl. Edge) which are insisting to use the integrated graphics. That sucks :(

It should be in the new Radeon Settings app, but some people are reporting they can't find it.

This is my Forum Signature, I am currently attempting to transform it into a small guide for fixing easier issues using spoiler blocks to keep things tidy.

As the most common issue I feel I should put this outside the main bulk:

The only official source for Forge is https://files.minecraftforge.net, and the only site I trust for getting mods is CurseForge.

If you use any site other than these, please take a look at the StopModReposts project and install their browser extension, I would also advise running a virus scan.

For players asking for assistance with Forge please expand the spoiler below and read the appropriate section(s) in its/their entirety.

Spoiler

Logs (Most issues require logs to diagnose):

Spoiler

Please post logs using one of the following sites (Thank you Lumber Wizard for the list):

https://gist.github.com/100MB Requires member (Free)

https://pastebin.com/: 512KB as guest, 10MB as Pro ($$$)

https://hastebin.com/: 400KB

Do NOT use sites like Mediafire, Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, or a site that has a countdown before offering downloads.

What to provide:

...for Crashes and Runtime issues:

Minecraft 1.14.4 and newer:

Post debug.log

Older versions:

Please update...

...for Installer Issues:

Post your installer log, found in the same place you ran the installer

This log will be called either installer.log or named the same as the installer but with .log on the end

Note for Windows users:

Windows hides file extensions by default so the installer may appear without the .jar extension then when the .log is added the log will appear with the .jar extension

Where to get it:

Mojang Launcher: When using the Mojang launcher debug.log is found in .minecraft\logs.

Curse/Overwolf: If you are using the Curse Launcher, their configurations break Forge's log settings, fortunately there is an easier workaround than I originally thought, this works even with Curse's installation of the Minecraft launcher as long as it is not launched THROUGH Twitch:

Spoiler
  1. Make sure you have the correct version of Forge installed (some packs are heavily dependent on one specific build of Forge)
  2. Make a launcher profile targeting this version of Forge.
  3. Set the launcher profile's GameDir property to the pack's instance folder (not the instances folder, the folder that has the pack's name on it).
  4. Now launch the pack through that profile and follow the "Mojang Launcher" instructions above.

Video:

Spoiler

or alternately, 

Fallback ("No logs are generated"):

If you don't see logs generated in the usual place, provide the launcher_log.txt from .minecraft

Server Not Starting:

Spoiler

If your server does not start or a command window appears and immediately goes away, run the jar manually and provide the output.

Reporting Illegal/Inappropriate Adfocus Ads:

Spoiler

Get a screenshot of the URL bar or copy/paste the whole URL into a thread on the General Discussion board with a description of the Ad.

Lex will need the Ad ID contained in that URL to report it to Adfocus' support team.

Posting your mod as a GitHub Repo:

Spoiler

When you have an issue with your mod the most helpful thing you can do when asking for help is to provide your code to those helping you. The most convenient way to do this is via GitHub or another source control hub.

When setting up a GitHub Repo it might seem easy to just upload everything, however this method has the potential for mistakes that could lead to trouble later on, it is recommended to use a Git client or to get comfortable with the Git command line. The following instructions will use the Git Command Line and as such they assume you already have it installed and that you have created a repository.

1. Open a command prompt (CMD, Powershell, Terminal, etc).
  2. Navigate to the folder you extracted Forge’s MDK to (the one that had all the licenses in).
  3. Run the following commands:
    1. git init
    2. git remote add origin [Your Repository's URL]
      • In the case of GitHub it should look like: https://GitHub.com/[Your Username]/[Repo Name].git
    3. git fetch
    4. git checkout --track origin/master
    5. git stage *
    6. git commit -m "[Your commit message]"
    7. git push
  4. Navigate to GitHub and you should now see most of the files.
    • note that it is intentional that some are not synced with GitHub and this is done with the (hidden) .gitignore file that Forge’s MDK has provided (hence the strictness on which folder git init is run from)
  5. Now you can share your GitHub link with those who you are asking for help.

[Workaround line, please ignore]

• 5 weeks later...

I face the exact same issue for the same graphics card. For some bizarre unknown reason, the 'Star Wars Jedi Knight...' that you see is actually the executable path for the Minecraft javaw (You can click on it and then under the 4th tab see it under the executable path). While I don't have any solution why we cannot use the AMD card, a work-around (doesn't work always) is to launch another game which will use your AMD card and then immediately run Minecraft after closing the other game. Like I said, doesn't work always but you can give it a try in case Minecraft gets laggy :)

23 hours ago, TGhostGamer said:

I face the exact same issue for the same graphics card. For some bizarre unknown reason, the 'Star Wars Jedi Knight...' that you see is actually the executable path for the Minecraft javaw (You can click on it and then under the 4th tab see it under the executable path). While I don't have any solution why we cannot use the AMD card, a work-around (doesn't work always) is to launch another game which will use your AMD card and then immediately run Minecraft after closing the other game. Like I said, doesn't work always but you can give it a try in case Minecraft gets laggy :)

I actually fixed that by updating my AMD drivers to the latest standard version (Adrenalin 18.8.2) (i was using a Lenovo-patched version provided by Windows Update).
The only drawback to let AMD rendering the game is Xaeros WorldMap give a strange crash and the author said it was because"your graphics drivers decide not to compress the texture even though the mod requests them to".

I too am using the latest drivers but it doesn't work for me lol. I even went under Radeon Settings -> System -> Switchable Graphics and added the 'javaw.exe' file but it gives me a white blank screen. The game does run (can hear the audio) but there is no display. Did you change some configuration settings after updating the AMD drivers to resolve the issue?

UPDATE -> What I mentioned above seems to have solved the issue. Going to Switchable Graphics, adding the javaw.exe file and then restarting the system. Now I no longer get the white blank screen :)

Edited by TGhostGamer

• 2 months later...

You can try to do this using the video driver settings menu. This is the example of NVIDIA, but it's possible that AMD will have similar settings. Go to the setting of the discrete graphics card drivers. Next, in the menu on the left, select "Manage 3D settings", then in the "Preferred graphics adapter" column, select "High-performance NVIDIA processor", then save the settings. After that, you can try to start the game. I had a similar situation, but with Photoshop, since I needed to do large-scale illustrations for my feasibility study on AnswerShark, and the embed Intel would not cope with this task. Also, in the settings of NVIDIA, you can specify the specific game for a particular game video card.

Edited by jarsh