Capabilities not saving.

Oen44

Hi,

I've tried to implement Capabilities to save player data (XP points etc.). Everything is working except saving data. After leaving game (not closing client) and reentering, data is not preserved.

What I did notice is that writeNBT instance is always returning 0 when getting XP points.

Code: https://github.com/Oen44/RPG-Mod-MC

1 minute ago, diesieben07 said:

Forgot to delete that. That's from tutorial or something but didn't work anyway.

2 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

This is absolutely broken. You cannot just alter the capability data on the client and expect it to magically show up on the server. Moreover you cannot send packets to anything else but the server from the client. The fact that this does not crash is surprising to me.
You need to instead send a packet on the server telling it that the player has pressed a button. The server then decides what to do with that information: Can the player actually do this right now? If so, then do the capability changes. Then you will send the updated data back to the client (you already have this packet).

How do I handle button press on server-side then?

4 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

This will crash a server. You cannot reference client-only classes from common code.

I need to use that somehow, what do you suggest?

It works now and I get how to deal with networking, thank you.

But before that I wanted to print data on player login and what I have encountered is that EventPlayer class wasn't registering @SubscribeEvent so I had to add @Mod.EventBusSubscriber and now it works :)

Do I understand this correctly?

If I send packet that adds XP points to server and there add that to EntityPlayerMP capabilities, then if someone hack client code and add to EntityPlayer capabilies some XP then server will have different values because EntityPlayerMP is a different instance and that's where I should check if play has XYZ amount of XP if needed?

Updated code if you want to check and see if there is something wrong anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Oen44 said:

Why should I prevent client from using capabilities? No need for that.

I think what he means is that why is it only registered on the client.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

4 minutes ago, Oen44 said:

Why should I prevent client from using capabilities? No need for that.

Common is called this way because it's code is common for client and server side while client proxy is being used only for client-side actions.

So your CapabilityManager will exist only for client-side operations. This fact confused me so I've asked you, why so?

1 minute ago, Oen44 said:

Should I register that on client AND server proxy?

You should register it in Common Code.

1 minute ago, Oen44 said:

Does it matter?

Yes, if you want the data on the server.

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

3 minutes ago, Oen44 said:

So I should extend Client and Sever proxy with Common and register capabilities inside Common?

No, just do it in your Main mod class(the one with the @Mod annotation).

• Like 1

Sorry, missed the part where you have "ServerProxy" insted of "CommonProxy" but in fact it's still the same.

You declare your ServerProxy as proxy in the Main mod class and initialize it's stages (preInit, init and postInit). Perhaps there's no difference for now but later you should either have some only-server-side operations (which are rare I guess) and use Main mod class as you common proxy or use your ServerProxy as CommonProxy with it's purpose and then you won't need to use Main mod class for it.

Edited by Asmodesu

2 minutes ago, Asmodesu said:

or use your ServerProxy as CommonProxy

Don't do this, while this does work it doesn't make sense to do so.