[SOLVED] Safest way to check if an entity is the game's player

Reflxction

Hello. In the process of making a mod I have come across some weird behavior of the game. Anytime I attempt to call Minecraft.getMinecraft().player#getUUID() in singleplayer the game crashes with a NPE. The same thing happened with #getPersistentID(). Is there any reliable way to check if an entity is the player without causing crashes or something. I'm afraid comparing names may not 100% work, and since retrieving the UUID crashed the game, is there any better way to do so?

Edited by Reflxction

1 hour ago, Reflxction said:

Hello. In the process of making a mod I have come across some weird behavior of the game. Anytime I attempt to call Minecraft.getMinecraft().player#getUUID() in singleplayer the game crashes with a NPE. The same thing happened with #getPersistentID(). Is there any reliable way to check if an entity is the player without causing crashes or something. I'm afraid comparing names may not 100% work, and since retrieving the UUID crashed the game, is there any better way to do so?

Two things Minecraft is a client only class. And either Minecraft.getMinecraft is returning null and which means you are calling this too soon or Minecraft#player is null and which would also mean you are calling this too soon.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

1 hour ago, Animefan8888 said:

Two things Minecraft is a client only class. And either Minecraft.getMinecraft is returning null and which means you are calling this too soon or Minecraft#player is null and which would also mean you are calling this too soon.

I was calling it in EntityJoinWorldEvent, where I assume the player wouldn't be null. Anyway, I did a few more googling and found out that what I was looking for is Minecraft.getSession().getProfile()#getId(), as this is what worked for me

6 minutes ago, Reflxction said:

I was calling it in EntityJoinWorldEvent, where I assume the player wouldn't be null. Anyway, I did a few more googling and found out that what I was looking for is Minecraft.getSession().getProfile()#getId(), as this is what worked for me

Did you test it on the dedicated server?

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.