elements in block model are being rendered in the wrong order

DutchM

Not sure if this should be here or in modder support, as I don't know if it's caused by a bug or if I did something wrong. Either way I would love to know if there is a way to fix it in my mod :)

aka there might be situations where face a is behind face b, yet face a is rendered first, meaning face b is rendered on top.

I suspect that the block renderer looks at which centre of each element is closer, instead of actually calculating which face should be rendered in front. This is merely a suspicion though.

I have attached a block model json and a screenshot for reference. DO NOT USE THIS MODEL IN YOUR OWN MOD.

Side note; I split up some elements in a failed attempt to fix the problem, so the json file is not the exact same as the model in the screenshot. The problem is the same though.

P.S. yes I could remove the faces which are causing the issues and make the wayer opaque, but this is for a deco mod and making the water opaque would in my opinion reduce the visual quality of the block greatly.

fountain.json

2018-09-09_11.41.54.png

2018-09-09_11.41.18.png

Oh I just noticed the little text on the top of the category. Sorry I assumed that bugs included bugs encountered in development and that modder support was just for help, not for bugs. If a moderator sees this and thinks it should indeed be in the other subcategory. please move :)

This is what happens when you render opaque things with transparency.

There's a way to specify dual layer models, but I can't think of the search term to look for at the moment.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

36 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

This is what happens when you render opaque things with transparency.

There's a way to specify dual layer models, but I can't think of the search term to look for at the moment.

Thanks! I found this post https://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding-java-edition/minecraft-mods/modification-development/2726011-is-it-possible-to-draw-parts-of-a-json-model-in within a few minutes of searching :)

Edited by DutchM