[1.12.2] FluidTank without TileEntity

GDavid

What i want to create is a fluid tank that can store some fluids (water and lava) but without using a tile entity.

How it would work: There's an empty tank block for the empty tank and there are filled tank blocks for each fluid with the amount of fluid stored in metadata (the tank can hold up to 3 buckets but no millibuckets, just whole buckets). When the tank is emptied or filled when empty, it changes to the given block, otherwise it just changes it's metadata.

The problem is that there's no way to modify the block state from the fill and drain methods of IFluidHandler, so i can't alter the state of the tank.

How could i access and alter the blockstate from the fill and drain methods?

Thanks in advance.

2 minutes ago, GDavid said:

How could i access and alter the blockstate from the fill and drain methods?

You can't and shouldn't.

2 minutes ago, GDavid said:

What i want to create is a fluid tank that can store some fluids (water and lava) but without using a tile entity.

How it would work: There's an empty tank block for the empty tank and there are filled tank blocks for each fluid with the amount of fluid stored in metadata (the tank can hold up to 3 buckets but no millibuckets, just whole buckets). When the tank is emptied or filled when empty, it changes to the given block, otherwise it just changes it's metadata.

You will have to create these manually, and you cannot use the IFluidHandler interface without a TE for a Block. You will have to create an integer property that determines the level of the liquid and create different blocks for each fluid, not always possible. This will also prevent fluid pipes from interacting with your tanks, they check if the TE has the capability.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

The reason this is not going to work is much more simpler than the issue of not having the blockstate. When anything like a pipe for example tries to check for a fluid tank it checks the tile entity of that block. It won't(and it shouldn't) check the block itself. Capabilities are attached to the tile entity, not to a block state. So you must use a TileEntity.