Thread Check Missing for updateTick() Method

Lumby

I was making my crop block when I realized that the updateTick() method for vanilla BlockCrops doesn't have any checks for whether it's currently server-side or client-side. Nonetheless, the resulting block I made which extended BlockCrops and overrides said method seems to work perfectly. Why is that? Is updateTick() only called from the server-side, hence I do not need to worry about sides when dealing with updateTick()? 

28 minutes ago, Lumby said:

Is updateTick() only called from the server-side, hence I do not need to worry about sides when dealing with updateTick()? 

Yes, the only class that ever calls Block#randomTick and by default implementation Block#updateTick is WorldServer which is a server-side representation of the world. Thus the only side Block#updateTick is called on is the server(by default, excluding other mods potentially doing other stuff).