How to add a gui that opens when you press a button

Skarte

so i have been looking for a tutorial for that but everyone is expecting you to have a block/item to show the gui i just want to press a button i allready made the texture and the keybind just need to know how to make a gui not a container also how to add buttons

14 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

Where do you want this button to be?

In general, a non-inventory GUI is opened by calling Minecraft#displayGuiScreen with a new instance of your GuiScreen.

it's a gui button

so all i do is just say if(keybind-ispressed) minecraft#displayguiscreen ?

this is my script

public class MenuGui extends GuiScreen 
{
    private final ResourceLocation texture = new ResourceLocation(Refrence.MODID + ":textures/gui/Menu.png");
    private int menuwidth = 153, menuhight = 152;

@Override
    public void drawScreen(int mouseX, int mouseY, float partialTicks) 
    {
        Minecraft.getMinecraft().renderEngine.bindTexture(texture);
        drawTexturedModalRect(0, 0, 0, 0, menuwidth, menuhight);
        super.drawScreen(mouseX, mouseY, partialTicks);
    }

@Override
    public void initGui() 
    {
        super.initGui();
    }

@Override
    protected void actionPerformed(GuiButton button) throws IOException 
    {
        super.actionPerformed(button);
    }

@Override
    protected void keyTyped(char typedChar, int keyCode) throws IOException 
    {
        super.keyTyped(typedChar, keyCode);
    }

@Override
    public boolean doesGuiPauseGame() 
    {
        return false;
    }
}

Edited by Skarte

20 minutes ago, Skarte said:

so all i do is just say if(keybind-ispressed) minecraft#displayguiscreen ?

Did you try it? Did it work? If not what happened?

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

9 minutes ago, Animefan8888 said:

Did you try it? Did it work? If not what happened?

i allready tried that didn't work so if i had a mod only for this it would be like

the keybinding script

public static KeyBinding button = new KeyBinding("Menu", Keyboard.KEY_M, "something");

public static void registerKeyBindings() 
    {
        ClientRegistry.registerKeyBinding(button);
    }

and the gui script 

{
        if (KeyBindingHandler.button.isPressed()) 
        {
            Minecraft.getMinecraft().displayGuiScreen(new MenuGui());
        }
    }

private final ResourceLocation texture = new ResourceLocation(Refrence.MODID + ":textures/gui/Menu.png");
    private int menuwidth = 153, menuhight = 152;

@Override
    public void drawScreen(int mouseX, int mouseY, float partialTicks) 
    {
        Minecraft.getMinecraft().renderEngine.bindTexture(texture);
        drawTexturedModalRect(0, 0, 0, 0, menuwidth, menuhight);
        super.drawScreen(mouseX, mouseY, partialTicks);
    }

@Override
    public void initGui() 
    {
        super.initGui();
    }

@Override
    protected void actionPerformed(GuiButton button) throws IOException 
    {
        super.actionPerformed(button);
    }

@Override
    protected void keyTyped(char typedChar, int keyCode) throws IOException 
    {
        super.keyTyped(typedChar, keyCode);
    }

@Override
    public boolean doesGuiPauseGame() 
    {
        return false;
    }

and in the pre init in the main script 

KeyBindingHandler.registerKeyBindings();

2 minutes ago, Skarte said:

{
        }

Where is this being called from?

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

1 minute ago, Skarte said:

the gui script

From within the gui class? That is never going to be called. You have to use the KeyInputEvent in order to do this.

2 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

What the hell is that supposed to mean? Java does not have a notion of "scripts". Please provide complete classes, not excerpts. 

when i said script i meant class

3 minutes ago, Animefan8888 said:

From within the gui class? That is never going to be called. You have to use the KeyInputEvent in order to do this.

give me an exmaple please

5 minutes ago, Animefan8888 said:

Here.

like this (still in the gui class)

public class MyStaticForgeEventHandler 
    {
        @SubscribeEvent
        public void buttonGui(KeyInputEvent event) 
        {
            {
            }        
        }
    }

like this (still in the gui class)

As long as it is getting registered? Is it working/did you test it?

iam sorry if i sound extra stuped it's because if you can't tell iam new to forge but what do you mean by registering it

It's in the link I posted, the event needs to be registered to the Event Bus.

it didn't i think registring it like this

That is correct as long as that piece of code is being called.

2 minutes ago, Animefan8888 said:

That is correct as long as that piece of code is being called.

9 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

KeyInputEvent is not the correct event to check for key bindings, it is used for raw LWJGL keyboard input.

To check for key bindings use ClientTickEvent (be sure to check TickEvent#phase or your code runs twice per tick), Minecraft already handles all the low level LWJGL stuff for you.

it didn't work

Post updated code.

this is it also GuiMenu is the gui class

public class MyStaticForgeEventHandler 
    {
        @SubscribeEvent
        public void buttonGui(ClientTickEvent event) 
        {
            if (KeyBindingHandler.DBCR_MENU.isPressed()) 
            {
            }        
        }
    }

also if my code didn't work out is it possible to take my code and make it work out and give it to me but i think that would be asking for too much

11 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

It would really help if you answered all of my questions and not just one of them.

oh sorry but what is tickevent#phase 

and do you accept ?

20 minutes ago, Skarte said:

also if my code didn't work out is it possible to take my code and make it work out and give it to me but i think that would be asking for too much

It's a field. Every tick event fires twice per tick, once before the vanilla logic and once after. If you do not check for the value of TickEvent#phase in your event handler your code will run in both of these cases, which is not what you want.

No.

how do i stop it?