[1.12.2] Question on event listener callback ordering...

OreCruncher

I see that the list of listeners for an event is maintained in an ArrayList.  Assuming multiple listeners with the same priority it means that the listeners are invoked in order of registration.  My question is whether this is just happenstance because an ArrayList is used to track listeners, or can I be assume that this "in order" behavior is part of the event subscription contract?

4 minutes ago, OreCruncher said:

question is whether this is just happenstance because an ArrayList is used to track listeners, or can I be assume that this "in order" behavior is part of the event subscription contract?

Well it will always be true at least as long as they use a List. And no one modifies the List. Does that answer your question?

Edited by Animefan8888

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

Based on your statement I will assume that it is by happenstance of the implementation rather than an intended design feature of the event system.  Thanks!

EDIT: A little more background as to why I asked the question.  I am reworking some of the implementation in my mod which resulted in a dependency ordering between some objects.  These objects were registered to listen on the event bus for the same modded events.  Because of design I couldn't just go in and change priorities of the event listeners.  I noticed the "in order" callback behavior of the event bus but was unsure if it was intentional or not.  As result of this post I need to go back and rework my design.  Yay.

Edited by OreCruncher