Problem with reading arrow NBT, also weird entity behavior.

theishiopian

I'm trying to get the potion effect attached to a tipped arrow upon impact, but I'm running into two weird, possibly related issues. The first is that all arrows, tipped are not, turn into tipped arrows when fired, with regular arrows giving off blue particles. Second, the nbt tag is completely blank when I read it. 

Code:

https://pastebin.com/9ezTvh70

17 minutes ago, theishiopian said:

The first is that all arrows, tipped are not, turn into tipped arrows when fired, with regular arrows giving off blue particles.

https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MC-107941

18 minutes ago, theishiopian said:

Second, the nbt tag is completely blank when I read it. 

You are doing everything you could do completely wrong. First of all Entity#readEntityFromNBT deserializes the entity in question from the NBT provided. The NBT won't change, since the entity is reading from it, not writing into it. Finally you don't need to mess with NBT at all. Check if the arrow is an instance of EntityTippedArrow(hint: you are already doing it), cast it to one and obtain the potion effect from said arrow. Use reflection if you have to.

6 minutes ago, theishiopian said:

I tried using reflection initially, but it didnt work when the mod was built.

Additionally, when checking whether the arrow is an instance of EntityTippedArrow, it always returns true, regardless of whether the arrow is tipped or not.

use ReflectionHelper

About Me

Spoiler

My Discord - Cadiboo#8887

My WebsiteCadiboo.github.io

My ModsCadiboo.github.io/projects

My TutorialsCadiboo.github.io/tutorials

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

7 minutes ago, theishiopian said:

I tried using reflection initially, but it didnt work when the mod was built.

Then you likely didn't provide the SRG name. Minecraft is obfuscated. It means that the field/class/method names in the compiled game differ from those in the source code. Use ReflectionHelper - it gives you methods which take multiple names for the thing you are searching for. Provide both the MCP(deobfuscated) name and SRG(obfuscated-ish). It's actually a bit more complex(there are three levels of names, Notch, SRG, MCP), you can ask for more if you'd like to know more. You can get the SRG names from mcpbot or from %user_folder%\.gradle\caches\minecraft\de\oceanlabs\mcp\mcp_snapshot\%snapshot_data%\%game_version%\srgs

11 minutes ago, theishiopian said:

Additionally, when checking whether the arrow is an instance of EntityTippedArrow, it always returns true, regardless of whether the arrow is tipped or not.

It's because technically all arrows apart from spectral ones are TippedArrows.

5 minutes ago, theishiopian said:

ok, well what does a field look like in here?

field_XXXXX. The line will also start with the letters FD(FielD) For example, the ones you are interested in:

FD: net/minecraft/entity/projectile/EntityTippedArrow/potion net/minecraft/entity/projectile/EntityTippedArrow/field_184560_g
FD: net/minecraft/entity/projectile/EntityTippedArrow/customPotionEffects net/minecraft/entity/projectile/EntityTippedArrow/field_184561_h