Can't set variable with Java Reflection

CorruptedVulture

Using Java 8, Forge 1.12.2
I've been trying to use reflection to change a private variable in another class, I'm able to get the class, and the variable,

*I've tried to use the public set method to change the variable, that doesn't work, and ends in this error:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: object is not an instance of declaring class

*I've tried changing the variable to accesible = true and then changing it, resulting in this error:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Can not set int field playerProperties.VanillaSpellsCapability.mirrorspellSpread to java.lang.Class

The Code:

Class clad = Class.forName(message.cladName);

Field MSS = clad.getDeclaredField(message.mirrorspellSpread);

MSS.setAccessible(true);

MSS.set(clad, 1);
                //Method SetMS = clad.getMethod("setIsMSSpreadOut", Integer.TYPE);
                //SetMS.invoke(clad, 1);

Edited by CorruptedVulture

8 minutes ago, CorruptedVulture said:

*I've tried to use the public set method to change the variable, that doesn't work, and ends in this error:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: object is not an instance of declaring class

If the method is public then you don't need reflection. Anyway, as the error clearly states you are passing an object as an instance of the class while the object in question isn't an instance of said class. This is one of reflection's basics.

9 minutes ago, CorruptedVulture said:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Can not set int field playerProperties.VanillaSpellsCapability.mirrorspellSpread to java.lang.Class

Same here - you are passing a Class as the instance, which will never be the case. 

https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/java/javareflection-1536171.html

Ok, I tried with the new instance by declaring a new object, and setting it to be the class's new instance, and my intentions with this was to update a capability variable on the client-side, however it's just as I thought that making a new instance wouldn't affect the player's capability.
So is there any other solution? Like to use the class instance I already have instead of declaring a new one?

The new Code:

Class clad = Class.forName(message.cladName);
                Object cc = clad.newInstance();
                //Field MSS = clad.getDeclaredField(message.mirrorspellSpread);
                /*
                MSS.setAccessible(true);

MSS.set(clad, 1);*/

Method SetMS = clad.getMethod("setIsMSSpreadOut", Integer.TYPE);
                SetMS.invoke(cc, 1);

Except I can't do that because using the instance I want to change results in this error
Using this code
//Method SetMS = clad.getMethod("setIsMSSpreadOut", Integer.TYPE);

//SetMS.invoke(clad, 1);

Keep in mind, not declaring a new object, like here

Object cc = clad.newInstance();

So then is there anything else I can do, to use the instance I got?

Edited by CorruptedVulture