Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ClassCastException, EntityOtherPlayerMP cannot be cast to EntityPlayerSP


Frontear
 Share

Recommended Posts

The code in question is the following:

@SubscribeEvent public void onTick(TickEvent.PlayerTickEvent event) {
	if (event.phase != TickEvent.Phase.START) return; // see EntityPlayer.onUpdate
        if (event.side != Side.CLIENT) return; // only work on the player if it is a EntityPlayerSP
        if (doSomething((EntityPlayerSP) event.player)) {
            doSomethingElse();
        }
}

According to the PlayerTickEvent class:

super(Type.PLAYER, player instanceof EntityPlayerMP ? Side.SERVER : Side.CLIENT, phase);

It should automatically set the 'Side' enum accordingly, so why is the cast error occuring? I'm checking already for if it is a Side.Client, which would mean a EntityPlayerSP only.

I am a human and this action was performed manually. Please contact Frontear if you have any questions or concerns.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Frontear said:

I'm checking already for if it is a Side.Client, which would mean a EntityPlayerSP only.

Incorrect. The base class for client players is AbstractClientPlayer, which is parent class for EntityPlayerSP and EntityOtherPlayerMP. If you want to check for EntityPlayerSP do an instanceof check, that is it's purpose. Do not abuse other conditions in place of a necessary instanceof check.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, diesieben07 said:

Incorrect. The base class for client players is AbstractClientPlayer, which is parent class for EntityPlayerSP and EntityOtherPlayerMP. If you want to check for EntityPlayerSP do an instanceof check, that is it's purpose. Do not abuse other conditions in place of a necessary instanceof check.

I'm curious then, what is the purpose of EntityPlayerMP in the super constructor? I see that EntityPlayerSP is your player, EntityOtherPlayerMP is everyone else on a multiplayer/server connection. What's EntityPlayerMP purpose? Additionally, when should a side check be used?

I am a human and this action was performed manually. Please contact Frontear if you have any questions or concerns.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Frontear said:

I'm curious then, what is the purpose of EntityPlayerMP in the super constructor? I see that EntityPlayerSP is your player, EntityOtherPlayerMP is everyone else on a multiplayer/server connection. What's EntityPlayerMP purpose? Additionally, when should a side check be used?

 

  • EntityPlayerMP is used for all players on the server side.
  • EntityPlayerSP is used for the controlling player on the client side.
  • EntityOtherPlayerMP is used for all other players on the client side.
  • Like 1

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy.