How do i make a block colorable exactly like the leather-armour?

Drachenbauer

I already have a TileEntity-Class, but i need a constant to place in the braces behind it´s name in this method:

@Override
public TileEntity createTileEntity(World world, IBlockState state)
{
	return new TileEntityBlockColors();
}

It shows me an error, if theese braces are empty.

The vanilla tile-entitys each have a constant for them selves in "TileEntityType".

How to i create such constant for my own tile-entity?

... Please, learn java.

You wrote the constructor yourself; you define what goes in the parenthesis.

In 1.12.2, tile entities must have a constructor that takes in no parameters.

In 1.13.2, tile entities must have a constructor that takes in a TileEntityType.

Create you constructor(s) accordingly.

Edited by DavidM

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

1. Do not follow tutorials on YouTube, especially TechnoVision (previously called Loremaster) and HarryTalks, due to their promotion of bad practice and usage of outdated code.

2. Always post your code.

3. Never copy and paste code. You won't learn anything from doing that.

Programming via Eclipse's hotfixes will get you nowhere

5. Learn to use your IDE, especially the debugger.

The "picture that's worth 1000 words" only works if there's an obvious problem or a freehand red circle around it.

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

1. Read the EAQ before asking for help. Remember to provide the appropriate log(s).

2. Versions below 1.11 are no longer supported due to their age. Update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support.

• 4 months later...

Now someone told me to make it without a tileentity and with registering a blockcolor instead like this:

Add blockcolor

But If i try to use this with an own "public static IBlockColor blockColor;"-field and my blocks, i get a red underline there with the type-mismatch BlockColors/void.

I had to remove the "BlockColors blockColors ="-part of  the line to get rid of the red underline.

Is this the right way to register it in 1.14?

AngryBirdsMod on Github

You find my color registation in the main-class "AngryBirds".

Another question:

How do i fill content into the "public static IBlockColor blockColor;"-field?

And what must i do in my blockclasses to use it for theese blocks?

My exact targets:

I already have a recipe (for each block-type) to craft the white basic-versions of the blocks.

-I want to have 15 recipes (for each block-type) to dye them in the other 15 dye-colors (white block + matching dye-color).

-It should be able to get every possible color by command:

/give @s angrybirdsmod:balloonblock{display:{color:0}} 1

until

/give @s angrybirdsmod:balloonblock{display:{color:16.777.216}} 1

-If a block of theese types is not white, it should show "dyed" below it´s name in the inventory (just like leather-armour).

-i hope, that i can manage this with just white textures for theese block-types and and just one block-type per model registered.

4 hours ago, Drachenbauer said:

But If i try to use this with an own "public static IBlockColor blockColor;"-field and my blocks, i get a red underline there with the type-mismatch BlockColors/void.

I had to remove the "BlockColors blockColors ="-part of  the line to get rid of the red underline.

Is this the right way to register it in 1.14?

Yes. It should just be...

registerColors(event){
  event.getBlockColors().register(...)
}

And what must i do in my blockclasses to use it for theese blocks?

You need to have a TileEntity that stores the color. Nothing else.

How do i fill content into the "public static IBlockColor blockColor;"-field?

You need to make your own implementation of IBlockColor. This implementation needs to retrieve the color from the TileEntity.

It should be able to get every possible color by command:

/give @s angrybirdsmod:balloonblock{display:{color:0}} 1

until 

/give @s angrybirdsmod:balloonblock{display:{color:16.777.216}} 1

-If a block of theese types is not white, it should show "dyed" below it´s name in the inventory (just like leather-armour).

-i hope, that i can manage this with just white textures for theese block-types and and just one block-type per model registered.

Check out DyeableArmorItem/IDyeableArmorItem

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

Someone told me, that it´s possible to store the blockcolor in the blockstate, instead of using a tile-entity.

I want to try this, because i still found no way to register my own tileentity, that works, and i already have ways to use stuff, that´s stored in the blockstate..

Edited by Drachenbauer

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Drachenbauer said:

How do i store blockcolor in the blockstate (instead of creating a tileentity)?

https://mcforge.readthedocs.io/en/latest/models/blockstates/forgeBlockstates/

Usage of blockstates is found here.  That page should be all you need. If you want to use it to it's fullest potential you might want to use an IStateMapper.

I also want to say that if you want more than 16 ish colours, then using a tileEntity is simply easier. You can register them quite easily and probably should learn how to use them since they're very usefull for a variety of things. 

Edited by oldcheese

Now i will try again with tile-entity, but i still donßt get the registration to work:

@SubscribeEvent
        public static void registerTE(RegistryEvent.Register<TileEntityType<?>> event)
        {
             AngryBirdsTileEntities.BLOCK_COLORS = TileEntityType.Builder.create(BlockColorsTileEntity::new, AngryBirdsBlocks.balloon_block,
                                                                                                             AngryBirdsBlocks.slingshot_acacia_block,
                                                                                                             AngryBirdsBlocks.slingshot_acacia_2_block,
                                                                                                             AngryBirdsBlocks.slingshot_birch_block,
                                                                                                             AngryBirdsBlocks.slingshot_birch_2_block,
                                                                                                             AngryBirdsBlocks.slingshot_dark_oak_block,
                                                                                                             AngryBirdsBlocks.slingshot_dark_oak_2_block,
                                                                                                             AngryBirdsBlocks.slingshot_jungle_block,
                                                                                                             AngryBirdsBlocks.slingshot_jungle_2_block,
                                                                                                             AngryBirdsBlocks.slingshot_oak_block,
                                                                                                             AngryBirdsBlocks.slingshot_oak_2_block,
                                                                                                             AngryBirdsBlocks.slingshot_spruce_block,
                                                                                                             AngryBirdsBlocks.slingshot_spruce_2_block).build(null);
             AngryBirdsTileEntities.BLOCK_COLORS.setRegistryName(Reference.MOD_ID, "block_colors");
             evt.getRegistry().register(AngryBirdsTileEntities.BLOCK_COLORS);
        }

But i get an error at the "create"-Part.

I don´t know, how i have to put my TileEntity-class in there, the right way...

Ok, now i found, that the registration itself is ok, i just had to remove the statement from the constructor (head-line) of my TileEntity-class.

Another question:

At the end of this line there is "build(null)".

must i replace the "null" with something?

And how do i now add BlockColors to my TileEntity?

Here you can find, what i have now:

AngryBirdsMod in Github

Edited by Drachenbauer