[1.13.2] Custom player capability not working after changing dimension

xerca

I have a strange problem where a capability that otherwise works perfectly well doesn't work after changing dimensions, such as going to the nether or back to overworld. I did some debugging and found where the error is but I don't understand why it exists.

• When an entity is removed (such as when changing dimensions), it's invalidateCaps() method is called, so its valid field becomes false. This means when player.getCapability is called for whichever capability, it returns LazyOptional.empty():
  • public <T> LazyOptional<T> getCapability(@Nonnull Capability<T> cap, @Nullable EnumFacing side)
    {
        final CapabilityDispatcher disp = getCapabilities();
        return !valid || disp == null ? LazyOptional.empty() : disp.getCapability(cap, side);
    }
  • Entity is also removed when it dies, but upon respawning the AttachCapabilitiesEvent is called again both on the client and the server threads, and the capability works fine.
  • However, when the entity changes dimensions, the AttachCapabilitiesEvent is only called on the client thread. I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem.

If anyone knows how to deal with this problem, I would appreciate the help.