Right Click Heal With Item

Justin_Perry

I am trying to have my item heal when the player right clicks with it out. How should I go about this? Thank you. I realize I know how to increase the health, add a cooldown, I'm familiar with getting health, setting health. I would use itemInteractionForEntity however, I do not know how to heal without interacting with an entity which may be compromising in an intense fight. 

Edited by Justin_Perry

Item#onItemUse.

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

1. Do not follow tutorials on YouTube, especially TechnoVision (previously called Loremaster) and HarryTalks, due to their promotion of bad practice and usage of outdated code.

2. Always post your code.

3. Never copy and paste code. You won't learn anything from doing that.

Programming via Eclipse's hotfixes will get you nowhere

5. Learn to use your IDE, especially the debugger.

The "picture that's worth 1000 words" only works if there's an obvious problem or a freehand red circle around it.

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

1. Read the EAQ before asking for help. Remember to provide the appropriate log(s).

2. Versions below 1.11 are no longer supported due to their age. Update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support.

21 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Item#onItemUse.

public class stimSelf extends Item implements IHasModel {

public stimSelf(String name) {

setUnlocalizedName(name);
		setRegistryName(name);
		setCreativeTab(CreativeTabs.MISC);
		modItems.ITEMS.add(this);
	}

@Override
	public void registerModels() {
		Main.proxy.registerItemRenderer(this, 0, "inventory");
	}

@Override
	public ActionResult<ItemStack> onItemUse(ItemStack itemStack, World world, EntityPlayer player) {

if (player.getHealth() < player.getMaxHealth()) {
			System.out.println("We healed.");
			player.setHealth(player.getHealth() + 5.0F);
			player.getCooldownTracker().setCooldown(modItems.STIM_SELF, 300);
		}else {
			System.out.println("We have not healed.");
		}

return null;
	}
}

I have no output. Can you help?

Warning: The method onItemUse(ItemStack, World, EntityPlayer) of type stimSelf must override or implement a supertype method.

Thank you.

4 minutes ago, Justin_Perry said:

Warning: The method onItemUse(ItemStack, World, EntityPlayer) of type stimSelf must override or implement a supertype method. 

It usually means your signature doesn't match with the function you are overriding.

As a result your function doesn't get called at all.

Also i think your return value should be FAILED or SUCCESS.

I am not sure at the moment, look at what the parents function does.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Keitaro said:

It usually means your signature doesn't match with the function you are overriding.

Also i think your return value should be FAILED or SUCCESS.

I am not sure at the moment, look at what the parents function does.

Not very helpful.

3 minutes ago, Justin_Perry said:

Not very helpful.

... He literally just told you what is problem is and how to fix it.

Like what Keitaro said:

21 minutes ago, Keitaro said:

, check your parameters. An overriding method must have the same parameters as the method it is overriding.

Edited by DavidM

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

1. Do not follow tutorials on YouTube, especially TechnoVision (previously called Loremaster) and HarryTalks, due to their promotion of bad practice and usage of outdated code.

The "picture that's worth 1000 words" only works if there's an obvious problem or a freehand red circle around it.

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

1. Read the EAQ before asking for help. Remember to provide the appropriate log(s).

2. Versions below 1.11 are no longer supported due to their age. Update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support.

Just now, DavidM said:

Check your parameters. An overriding method must have the same parameters as the method it is overriding.

Something that may be easy for you to understand and interpret can be hard for others. I have checked my parameters. 

public class stimSelf extends Item implements IHasModel {

public stimSelf(String name) {

setUnlocalizedName(name);
		setRegistryName(name);
		setCreativeTab(CreativeTabs.MISC);
		modItems.ITEMS.add(this);
	}

@Override
	public void registerModels() {
		Main.proxy.registerItemRenderer(this, 0, "inventory");
	}

@Override
	public ActionResult<ItemStack> onItemUse(ItemStack stack, EntityPlayer player, World world, int x, int y, int z, int par7, float xFloat, float yFloat, float zFloat) {

if (player.getHealth() < player.getMaxHealth()) {
			System.out.println("We healed.");
			player.setHealth(player.getHealth() + 5.0F);
			player.getCooldownTracker().setCooldown(modItems.STIM_SELF, 300);
			return new ActionResult<ItemStack>(EnumActionResult.SUCCESS, stack);
		}else {
			System.out.println("We have not healed.");
			return new ActionResult<ItemStack>(EnumActionResult.FAIL, stack);
		}

}
}

You tell me.

46 minutes ago, Justin_Perry said:

Something that may be easy for you to understand and interpret can be hard for others

"Overriding" is basic java knowledge; you are expected to know it according to the forum rules.

46 minutes ago, Justin_Perry said:

You tell me.

Since you did not specify the version of Minecraft you are modding for, I'm going to assume it's 1.12.2.

Item#onItemUse is defined as:

public EnumActionResult onItemUse (EntityPlayer player, World world, BlockPos pos, EnumHand hand, EnumFacing facing, float hitX, float hitY, float hitZ)

Well as you can see:

• "EnumActionResult" is not spelt "ActionResult<ItemStack>"
  • "EntityPlayer" is not spelt "ItemStack"
  • "BlockPos" is not spelt "int"

Therefore, you are creating a new method instead of overriding an existing one.

As a general suggestion, you should always use your IDE to do the overriding for you instead of manually typing it out.

Edited by DavidM

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

"Overriding" is basic java knowledge; you are expected to know it according to the forum rules.

Since you did not specify the version of Minecraft you are modding for, I'm going to assume it's 1.12.2.

Item#onItemUse is defined as:

public EnumActionResult onItemUse (EntityPlayer player, World world, BlockPos pos, EnumHand hand, EnumFacing facing, float hitX, float hitY, float hitZ)

Well as you can see:

• "EnumActionResult" is not spelt "ActionResult<ItemStack>"
  • "EntityPlayer" is not spelt "ItemStack"
  • "BlockPos" is not spelt "int"

As a general suggestion, you should always use your IDE to do the overriding for you instead of manually typing it out.

Alright, thank you for nothing. I will figure everything else I'll need to make this mod by myself or by reading. Thanks

2 minutes ago, Justin_Perry said:

Alright, thank you for nothing. I will figure everything else I'll need to make this mod by myself or by reading. Thanks

You won't get far without the understanding of basic java.

As a general suggestion, learn java before making a mod.

Edited by DavidM
  • Sad 1

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

Just now, DavidM said:

I doubt you will get anywhere without the understanding of basic java.

As a general suggestion, learn java before making a mod.

I would rather have a lesser understanding of java on my own than continue to be ridiculed. I searched high and low on information on onItemUse, while your eventual solution may have worked, you have made me really discouraged from asking for more help. I haven't learned everything in Java, no. But I do know how to make classes, variables, functions, and a bit more. Again, I appreciate your help, but you are not a nice person. Please refrain from talking to me anymore.

Telling you that we expect you to have a working knowledge of the language you are using is not ridicule.

If Java is the first programming language you are learning, I'm afraid learning through Minecraft modding is about the worst way to go about it, please see if you can take an online course or something.

This is my Forum Signature, I am currently attempting to transform it into a small guide for fixing easier issues using spoiler blocks to keep things tidy.

As the most common issue I feel I should put this outside the main bulk:

The only official source for Forge is https://files.minecraftforge.net, and the only site I trust for getting mods is CurseForge.

If you use any site other than these, please take a look at the StopModReposts project and install their browser extension, I would also advise running a virus scan.

For players asking for assistance with Forge please expand the spoiler below and read the appropriate section(s) in its/their entirety.

Spoiler

Logs (Most issues require logs to diagnose):

Spoiler

Please post logs using one of the following sites (Thank you Lumber Wizard for the list):

https://gist.github.com/100MB Requires member (Free)

https://pastebin.com/: 512KB as guest, 10MB as Pro ($$$)

https://hastebin.com/: 400KB

Do NOT use sites like Mediafire, Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, or a site that has a countdown before offering downloads.

What to provide:

...for Crashes and Runtime issues:

Minecraft 1.14.4 and newer:

Post debug.log

Older versions:

Please update...

...for Installer Issues:

Post your installer log, found in the same place you ran the installer

This log will be called either installer.log or named the same as the installer but with .log on the end

Note for Windows users:

Windows hides file extensions by default so the installer may appear without the .jar extension then when the .log is added the log will appear with the .jar extension

Where to get it:

Mojang Launcher: When using the Mojang launcher debug.log is found in .minecraft\logs.

Curse/Overwolf: If you are using the Curse Launcher, their configurations break Forge's log settings, fortunately there is an easier workaround than I originally thought, this works even with Curse's installation of the Minecraft launcher as long as it is not launched THROUGH Twitch:

Spoiler
  1. Make sure you have the correct version of Forge installed (some packs are heavily dependent on one specific build of Forge)
  2. Make a launcher profile targeting this version of Forge.
  3. Set the launcher profile's GameDir property to the pack's instance folder (not the instances folder, the folder that has the pack's name on it).
  4. Now launch the pack through that profile and follow the "Mojang Launcher" instructions above.

Video:

Spoiler

or alternately, 

Fallback ("No logs are generated"):

If you don't see logs generated in the usual place, provide the launcher_log.txt from .minecraft

Server Not Starting:

Spoiler

If your server does not start or a command window appears and immediately goes away, run the jar manually and provide the output.

Reporting Illegal/Inappropriate Adfocus Ads:

Spoiler

Get a screenshot of the URL bar or copy/paste the whole URL into a thread on the General Discussion board with a description of the Ad.

Lex will need the Ad ID contained in that URL to report it to Adfocus' support team.

Posting your mod as a GitHub Repo:

Spoiler

When you have an issue with your mod the most helpful thing you can do when asking for help is to provide your code to those helping you. The most convenient way to do this is via GitHub or another source control hub.

When setting up a GitHub Repo it might seem easy to just upload everything, however this method has the potential for mistakes that could lead to trouble later on, it is recommended to use a Git client or to get comfortable with the Git command line. The following instructions will use the Git Command Line and as such they assume you already have it installed and that you have created a repository.

1. Open a command prompt (CMD, Powershell, Terminal, etc).
  2. Navigate to the folder you extracted Forge’s MDK to (the one that had all the licenses in).
  3. Run the following commands:
    1. git init
    2. git remote add origin [Your Repository's URL]
      • In the case of GitHub it should look like: https://GitHub.com/[Your Username]/[Repo Name].git
    3. git fetch
    4. git checkout --track origin/master
    5. git stage *
    6. git commit -m "[Your commit message]"
    7. git push
  4. Navigate to GitHub and you should now see most of the files.
    • note that it is intentional that some are not synced with GitHub and this is done with the (hidden) .gitignore file that Forge’s MDK has provided (hence the strictness on which folder git init is run from)
  5. Now you can share your GitHub link with those who you are asking for help.

[Workaround line, please ignore]

1 minute ago, DaemonUmbra said:

Telling you that we expect you to have a working knowledge of the language you are using is not ridicule.

If Java is the first programming language you are learning, I'm afraid learning through Minecraft modding is about the worst way to go about it, please see if you can take an online course or something.

Telling me I don't know how to override is a complete insult. I have at least an item that heals others. I obviously had to override to do that. The issue is mostly the lack of forge documentation for low-level modders to look into. I have learned Python, taken C++ courses, and learned a moderate amount of Java.

Where did you get the method/function signature for onItemUse, did you copy it from a tutorial or from the base/super class?

This is my Forum Signature, I am currently attempting to transform it into a small guide for fixing easier issues using spoiler blocks to keep things tidy.

The only official source for Forge is https://files.minecraftforge.net, and the only site I trust for getting mods is CurseForge.

If you use any site other than these, please take a look at the StopModReposts project and install their browser extension, I would also advise running a virus scan.

For players asking for assistance with Forge please expand the spoiler below and read the appropriate section(s) in its/their entirety.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Please post logs using one of the following sites (Thank you Lumber Wizard for the list):

Do NOT use sites like Mediafire, Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, or a site that has a countdown before offering downloads.

What to provide:

Post debug.log

Older versions:

Please update...

...for Installer Issues:

This log will be called either installer.log or named the same as the installer but with .log on the end

Note for Windows users:

Windows hides file extensions by default so the installer may appear without the .jar extension then when the .log is added the log will appear with the .jar extension

Where to get it:

Mojang Launcher: When using the Mojang launcher debug.log is found in .minecraft\logs.

Curse/Overwolf: If you are using the Curse Launcher, their configurations break Forge's log settings, fortunately there is an easier workaround than I originally thought, this works even with Curse's installation of the Minecraft launcher as long as it is not launched THROUGH Twitch:

Spoiler
  1. Make sure you have the correct version of Forge installed (some packs are heavily dependent on one specific build of Forge)
  3. Set the launcher profile's GameDir property to the pack's instance folder (not the instances folder, the folder that has the pack's name on it).
  4. Now launch the pack through that profile and follow the "Mojang Launcher" instructions above.

Video:

Spoiler

or alternately, 

If you don't see logs generated in the usual place, provide the launcher_log.txt from .minecraft

Server Not Starting:

Spoiler

If your server does not start or a command window appears and immediately goes away, run the jar manually and provide the output.

Spoiler

Get a screenshot of the URL bar or copy/paste the whole URL into a thread on the General Discussion board with a description of the Ad.

Lex will need the Ad ID contained in that URL to report it to Adfocus' support team.

Spoiler

When you have an issue with your mod the most helpful thing you can do when asking for help is to provide your code to those helping you. The most convenient way to do this is via GitHub or another source control hub.

When setting up a GitHub Repo it might seem easy to just upload everything, however this method has the potential for mistakes that could lead to trouble later on, it is recommended to use a Git client or to get comfortable with the Git command line. The following instructions will use the Git Command Line and as such they assume you already have it installed and that you have created a repository.

2. Navigate to the folder you extracted Forge’s MDK to (the one that had all the licenses in).
    1. git init
      • In the case of GitHub it should look like: https://GitHub.com/[Your Username]/[Repo Name].git
    3. git fetch
    5. git stage *
    7. git push
    • note that it is intentional that some are not synced with GitHub and this is done with the (hidden) .gitignore file that Forge’s MDK has provided (hence the strictness on which folder git init is run from)

3 minutes ago, DaemonUmbra said:

Where did you get the method/function signature for onItemUse, did you copy it from a tutorial or from the base/super class?

I was googling what other people used to execute a function when an item was right clicked. I found some old information and tried to incorporate it in 1.12. Apparently, it did not work. I found a youtube video that used the ActionResult<ItemStack> other than that, I was at a loss. I found no information that would have lead me to EnumActionResult. I have since implemented what DavidM suggested and it works. 

You looked at random people's code for answers before looking at the class you were extending?

Spoiler

Spoiler

What to provide:

Post debug.log

Older versions:

Please update...

...for Installer Issues:

Note for Windows users:

Where to get it:

Spoiler

Video:

Spoiler

or alternately, 

Server Not Starting:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

1. git init
    3. git fetch
    5. git stage *
    7. git push

And you chose to not look directly at the class and method you were overriding for the method signature, then got confused when you got the error that your override didn't work.

Spoiler

Spoiler

What to provide:

Post debug.log

Older versions:

Please update...

...for Installer Issues:

Note for Windows users:

Where to get it:

Spoiler

Video:

Spoiler

or alternately, 

Server Not Starting:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

1. git init
    3. git fetch
    5. git stage *
    7. git push

1 hour ago, Justin_Perry said:

Telling me I don't know how to override is a complete insult. I have at least an item that heals others. I obviously had to override to do that.

3 hours ago, Justin_Perry said:

I have no output. Can you help?

Your problem is caused by not (fully) knowing how overriding works, or else this error won’t occur.

The IDE is telling you "hey this method does not exist in the parent class", therefore you should make sure your method matches the method in the superclass.

2. Always look at the source code first, as the source code is definitely updated and functional, whereas answers on the internet can be old and not fitted to use in the current version.

Edited by DavidM

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

If you know about

On 3/28/2019 at 12:11 PM, Justin_Perry said:

functions

you should really, really already know about overriding. Unless you meant methods, in which case overriding should probably be the next thing you learn.

About Me

Spoiler

My Discord - Cadiboo#8887

My WebsiteCadiboo.github.io

My ModsCadiboo.github.io/projects

My TutorialsCadiboo.github.io/tutorials

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

On 3/27/2019 at 6:35 PM, Justin_Perry said:

Telling me I don't know how to override is a complete insult.

We have 4 people so far telling you that you should know how to override. All of them are more experienced than you at java from what we've seen so far. If you don't want to learn the java, we are no help to you until you know at least the basics.

On 3/27/2019 at 5:03 PM, Justin_Perry said:

Not very helpful.

On 3/27/2019 at 5:06 PM, DavidM said:

The post could have been ended right then and there if you knew how to override.