Changes That are Percieved as Currently Impossible

This thread is for discussing things, from the perspective of the modder, that are currently perceived as impossible to do without editing the base classes. Anything you guys can come up with could potentially be useful towards coming up with additional hooks to add, or in the case of misconceptions, material to go into a "Tips and Tricks: Common Misconceptions" type of thing.

I accidentally the everything then NullPointerException.

Well one thing I've wanted recently is this; I have a plant pot block and want to be able to make it so you can use flowers/saplings/ect on it without having to edit the base files. I know it's only something simple and probably pointless but if it's easy to do then I'd appreciate it :D

I have customized TNT. I can not make the fire burn the TNT and detonate it without altering the fire block.

What?

I swear vanilla TNT has this behaviour, so if you extend it properly, your TNT should explode too :/

In the fire block the code says that it will check if the block has the tnt's block id. If so, it will cause it to explode. But, TNTs don't use the same block id as the vanilla TNT hence it won't pass the condition statement. Unless there is any other way...

Well one thing I've wanted recently is this; I have a plant pot block and want to be able to make it so you can use flowers/saplings/ect on it without having to edit the base files. I know it's only something simple and probably pointless but if it's easy to do then I'd appreciate it :D

Meh, I found a work around that involves no base edits, but it does involve using up a lot of block IDs.  A built in method would work though.

I have customized TNT. I can not make the fire burn the TNT and detonate it without altering the fire block.

What?

I swear vanilla TNT has this behaviour, so if you extend it properly, your TNT should explode too :/

In the fire block the code says that it will check if the block has the tnt's block id. If so, it will cause it to explode. But, TNTs don't use the same block id as the vanilla TNT hence it won't pass the condition statement. Unless there is any other way...

But you can see when there is a fire neighbor block to your own tnt and react to 'that' change, do not even need the direction as the neighbor update function passes you the block ID anyway.

Alright I'm going to try that.

Edit: I made it work. However it doesn't have the same effect as being burnt. If I place fire next to the TNT, it will explode that's for sure. But it's not like the normal TNT in which you have to burn it for a while and then it explodes. It would still be good to have this feature to alter the way the fire interacts with things.

Edit: I made it work. However it doesn't have the same effect as being burnt. If I place fire next to the TNT, it will explode that's for sure. But it's not like the normal TNT in which you have to burn it for a while and then it explodes. It would still be good to have this feature to alter the way the fire interacts with things.

Try my method of doing it.

Still easy to do, just schedule a tick.

I'm going to add modifying whether the Player loses their inventory on death or not, and modifying drops to existing monsters to the list, though these two will be resolved shortly.

I think adding a "status effect" like fire (i.e. acts basically exactly the same) that affects all Entities as a whole, rather than on a per-class basis, also goes on the list, though this one may also get resolved shortly, I'll be the first one to test it.

I accidentally the everything then NullPointerException.

Even though this causes issues with other mods you could null out the block id and replace the id with your own. For example you can null out id 20(glass) and then make a new glass block with id 20 to replace it. should work for other blocks like tnt, flowers, wood and such. Though i think this breaks crafting and such.