Help with Mod Creating

DJackR

Hi guys, i started recently programming in java. I cannot create big application but i'm confindent in creating little one. Since everyone says that to make mods in minecraft you don't need much programming knowledge i've tried to start making minecraft mods.

The problem is that every tutorial that i find online takes everything for sure and do not guide me through the process. I don't want just to copy and paste lines of code but i want to understand them. Everyone online just mention a forge method without explaining it and 

everyone just tell you how to make blocks, items and materials. What if i want to make a complex sorting system or if a want to make mobs with artificial intelligence or stuff like that. Do I just have to go through all of that boring forge documentation to get something started ?

Thanks a lot               -DJackR

Edited by DJackR

37 minutes ago, UKMinecrafted said:

I would recommend checking out this person and then trying to replicate the same results with your own things, then stray from it a bit, make little changes and keep working until you reach where you want to be

No.

HarryTalks is one of the worst tutorials out there as it teaches you bad practices and cargo-cult programming.

7 hours ago, DJackR said:

I don't want just to copy and paste lines of code but i want to understand them. Everyone online just mention a forge method without explaining it and 

everyone just tell you how to make blocks, items and materials.

This is a common problem of youtube tutorials.

Personally, I would recommend text-based examples such as https://github.com/TheGreyGhost/MinecraftByExample and https://github.com/Cadiboo/Example-Mod, both of which explained in details about what everything does.

Edited by DavidM
  • Thanks 1

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

1. Do not follow tutorials on YouTube, especially TechnoVision (previously called Loremaster) and HarryTalks, due to their promotion of bad practice and usage of outdated code.

2. Always post your code.

3. Never copy and paste code. You won't learn anything from doing that.

Programming via Eclipse's hotfixes will get you nowhere

5. Learn to use your IDE, especially the debugger.

The "picture that's worth 1000 words" only works if there's an obvious problem or a freehand red circle around it.

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

1. Read the EAQ before asking for help. Remember to provide the appropriate log(s).

2. Versions below 1.11 are no longer supported due to their age. Update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support.

7 hours ago, DavidM said:

No.

HarryTalks is one of the worst tutorials out there as it teaches you bad practices and cargo-cult programming.

This is a common problem of youtube tutorials.

Personally, I would recommend text-based examples such as https://github.com/TheGreyGhost/MinecraftByExample and https://github.com/Cadiboo/Example-Mod, both of which explained in details about what everything does.

I...half agree. I've begun to dislike such people for just teaching people to abuse inheritage and using static registry (which is fine if you're a beginner and doing a small-scale mod that just adds like a dozen items or something) but in general, static registry is...NO BAD! It took me a while up to now to shake those habits.

However, I am of the opinion if you ignore the inheritage with custom-classes and static registers, such tutorials are okay...to maybe get your foot in. Even just for simple stuff like ore or structure gen. But you should also learn from written/text tutorials, Minecraf'ts src code (even if ...ahem, Mojang is "lets use deprecated methods, trolololol!" and "if it ain't broke, don't fix or improve it") or any available src code or open source code. Open source code is wonderfuuul to learn from.

• Like 1