[1.12.2] problem with sending fluidtank to client

Tieso2001

I have created a TileEntity that has a fluidtank. Now I am trying to draw the fluid that is in the tank in the TileEntity's gui. The problem is that I have no idea on how to communicate the fluidstack or fluidtank with the client. I know that I can send integers with detectAndSendChanges() in the container class using listeners, but I don't think I can send any other data like a fluidstack or a fluidtank with this method. How do I communicate a fluidtank or a fluidstack from my TileEntity on the server to the gui on the client?

Edited by Tieso2001

You can use packets.

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

1. Do not follow tutorials on YouTube, especially TechnoVision (previously called Loremaster) and HarryTalks, due to their promotion of bad practice and usage of outdated code.

2. Always post your code.

3. Never copy and paste code. You won't learn anything from doing that.

Programming via Eclipse's hotfixes will get you nowhere

5. Learn to use your IDE, especially the debugger.

The "picture that's worth 1000 words" only works if there's an obvious problem or a freehand red circle around it.

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

1. Read the EAQ before asking for help. Remember to provide the appropriate log(s).

2. Versions below 1.11 are no longer supported due to their age. Update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support.

So I created a packet for sending the FluidTank, but I have no idea how I should write and read it to ByteBuf, If it was an integer I could use buf.writeInt(), but how do I do that with a FluidTank.

public class MessageFluidTank implements IMessage
{
    private FluidTank fluidTank;

public MessageFluidTank(FluidTank fluidTank)
    {
        this.fluidTank = fluidTank;
    }

@Override
    public void toBytes(ByteBuf buf)
    {
        buf.writeBytes(fluidTank); // How do I write fluidTank to buf
    }

@Override
    public void fromBytes(ByteBuf buf)
    {
        fluidTank = buf.readBytes(); // How do I read fluidTank from buf
    }
}

ByteBuf isn't magically going to accept any object. As any kind of (de)serialization you need to divide whatever it is you are sending into types that can be written onto a buffer and construct an identical one at the receiving end.

Although with a fluidstack you would serialize it to a NBTTagCompound and send that over the network in case a mod stores additional NBT data in the fluid stack.

Okay so I think I have figured out how to write and read a FluidStack from ByteBuf, Here is the code I have:

Packet class:

Spoiler

import io.netty.buffer.ByteBuf;
import io.netty.buffer.Unpooled;
import net.minecraftforge.fluids.FluidStack;
import net.minecraftforge.fml.common.network.simpleimpl.IMessage;

public class PacketFluidTankUpdate implements IMessage
{
    private FluidStack fluidStack;

public PacketFluidTankUpdate(FluidStack fluidStack)
    {
        this.fluidStack = fluidStack;
    }

@Override
    {
        PacketBufferMod data = new PacketBufferMod(Unpooled.buffer());
        data.writeFluidStack(fluidStack);
        buf.writeBytes(data);
    }

@Override
    {
        PacketBufferMod data = (PacketBufferMod) buf.readBytes(buf);
        fluidStack = data.readFluidStack();
    }
}

PacketHandler class:

Spoiler

import net.minecraftforge.fml.common.network.simpleimpl.IMessage;
import net.minecraftforge.fml.common.network.simpleimpl.IMessageHandler;
import net.minecraftforge.fml.common.network.simpleimpl.MessageContext;

public class PacketHandlerFluidTankUpdate implements IMessageHandler<PacketFluidTankUpdate, IMessage>
{
    @Override
    public IMessage onMessage(PacketFluidTankUpdate message, MessageContext ctx)
    {

}
}

PacketBuffer class:

Spoiler

import io.netty.buffer.ByteBuf;
import net.minecraft.network.PacketBuffer;
import net.minecraftforge.fluids.Fluid;
import net.minecraftforge.fluids.FluidRegistry;
import net.minecraftforge.fluids.FluidStack;

import javax.annotation.Nullable;

public class PacketBufferMod extends PacketBuffer
{
    public PacketBufferMod(ByteBuf wrapped)
    {
        super(wrapped);
    }

public void writeFluidStack(@Nullable FluidStack fluidStack)
    {
        if (fluidStack == null) writeVarInt(-1);
        else {
            writeVarInt(fluidStack.amount);
            writeString(fluidStack.getFluid().getName());
        }
    }

@Nullable
    public FluidStack readFluidStack()
    {
        int amount = readVarInt();
        if (amount > 0)
        {
            String fluidName = readString(1024);
            Fluid fluid = FluidRegistry.getFluid(fluidName);
            if (fluid == null) return null;
            return new FluidStack(fluid, amount);
        }
        return null;
    }
}

According to the forge documentation I have to create PacketHandler class which implements IMessageHandler, so I created PacketHandlerFluidTankUpdate. I have no idea what I have to do so that the GUI in my TileEntity updates with the right fluid (amount).

Brief summary: I'm trying to create a packet for sending a FluidStack from the server to the client, so that the GUI of my TileEntity can be updated on the client.

I have tried some things and this is what I currently have:

The packet & the handler for the packet:

Spoiler

public class PacketFluidTankUpdate implements IMessage
{
    private BlockPos pos;
    private FluidStack fluidStack;

public PacketFluidTankUpdate(TileStockPot tileStockPot, FluidStack fluidStack)
    {
        this.pos = tileStockPot.getPos();
        this.fluidStack = fluidStack;
    }

@Override
    {
        data.writeBlockPos(pos);
        data.writeFluidStack(fluidStack);
        buf.writeBytes(data);
    }

@Override
    {
        PacketBufferMod data = (PacketBufferMod) buf.readBytes(buf);
        pos = data.readBlockPos();
        fluidStack = data.readFluidStack();
    }

@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
    public static class PacketHandler implements IMessageHandler<PacketFluidTankUpdate, IMessage>
    {
        @Override
        public IMessage onMessage(PacketFluidTankUpdate message, MessageContext ctx)
        {
            EntityPlayerMP serverPlayer = ctx.getServerHandler().player;
            BlockPos pos = message.pos;
            FluidStack fluidStack = message.fluidStack;
            TileEntity tileEntity = serverPlayer.world.getTileEntity(pos);

if (tileEntity != null)
            {
                if (tileEntity instanceof TileStockPot)
                {
                    if (serverPlayer.world.isBlockLoaded(pos))
                    {
                        serverPlayer.getServerWorld().addScheduledTask(() -> ((TileStockPot) tileEntity).getFluidTank().setFluid(fluidStack));
                    }
                }
            }
            return null;
        }
    }
}

SimpleNetworkWrapper object:

Spoiler

public class ModPacketHandler
{
    public static final SimpleNetworkWrapper INSTANCE = NetworkRegistry.INSTANCE.newSimpleChannel(BoneAppleTea.MODID);
}

PacketBuffer class (for storing FluidStack & BlockPos):

Spoiler

public class PacketBufferMod extends PacketBuffer
{
    public PacketBufferMod(ByteBuf wrapped)
    {
        super(wrapped);
    }

public void writeFluidStack(@Nullable FluidStack fluidStack)
    {
        if (fluidStack == null) writeVarInt(-1);
        else {
            writeVarInt(fluidStack.amount);
            writeString(fluidStack.getFluid().getName());
        }
    }

@Nullable
    public FluidStack readFluidStack()
    {
        int amount = readVarInt();
        if (amount > 0)
        {
            String fluidName = readString(1024);
            Fluid fluid = FluidRegistry.getFluid(fluidName);
            if (fluid == null) return null;
            return new FluidStack(fluid, amount);
        }
        return null;
    }
}

(the relevant) part of the container class for my TileEntity

Spoiler

@Override
    public void detectAndSendChanges()
    {
        super.detectAndSendChanges();

for (IContainerListener listener : listeners)
        {
            if (listener instanceof EntityPlayerMP)
            {
                ModPacketHandler.INSTANCE.sendToAll(new PacketFluidTankUpdate(tileEntity, tileEntity.getFluidTank().getFluid()));
            }
        }
    }

When I open my TileEntity ingame, I get the following error:

Network Disconnect: A fatal error has occurred, this connection is terminated

Spoiler

[18:43:26] [Netty Local Client IO #0/ERROR] [FML]: FMLIndexedMessageCodec exception caught
io.netty.handler.codec.DecoderException: java.lang.InstantiationException: com.tieso2001.boneappletea.network.PacketFluidTankUpdate
	at io.netty.handler.codec.MessageToMessageDecoder.channelRead(MessageToMessageDecoder.java:98) ~[MessageToMessageDecoder.class:4.1.9.Final]
	at io.netty.handler.codec.MessageToMessageCodec.channelRead(MessageToMessageCodec.java:111) ~[MessageToMessageCodec.class:4.1.9.Final]
	at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:362) [AbstractChannelHandlerContext.class:4.1.9.Final]
	at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:348) [AbstractChannelHandlerContext.class:4.1.9.Final]
	at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.fireChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:340) [AbstractChannelHandlerContext.class:4.1.9.Final]
	at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline$HeadContext.channelRead(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:1334) [DefaultChannelPipeline$HeadContext.class:4.1.9.Final]
	at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:362) [AbstractChannelHandlerContext.class:4.1.9.Final]
	at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:348) [AbstractChannelHandlerContext.class:4.1.9.Final]
	at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline.fireChannelRead(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:926) [DefaultChannelPipeline.class:4.1.9.Final]
	at io.netty.channel.embedded.EmbeddedChannel.writeInbound(EmbeddedChannel.java:274) [EmbeddedChannel.class:4.1.9.Final]
	at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.network.internal.FMLProxyPacket.processPacket(FMLProxyPacket.java:108) [FMLProxyPacket.class:?]
	at net.minecraft.network.NetworkManager.channelRead0(NetworkManager.java:155) [NetworkManager.class:?]
	at net.minecraft.network.NetworkManager.channelRead0(NetworkManager.java:49) [NetworkManager.class:?]
	at io.netty.channel.SimpleChannelInboundHandler.channelRead(SimpleChannelInboundHandler.java:105) [SimpleChannelInboundHandler.class:4.1.9.Final]
	at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.fireChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:340) [AbstractChannelHandlerContext.class:4.1.9.Final]
	at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.network.handshake.NetworkDispatcher.handleClientSideCustomPacket(NetworkDispatcher.java:385) [NetworkDispatcher.class:?]
	at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.network.handshake.NetworkDispatcher.channelRead0(NetworkDispatcher.java:271) [NetworkDispatcher.class:?]
	at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.network.handshake.NetworkDispatcher.channelRead0(NetworkDispatcher.java:72) [NetworkDispatcher.class:?]
	at io.netty.channel.SimpleChannelInboundHandler.channelRead(SimpleChannelInboundHandler.java:105) [SimpleChannelInboundHandler.class:4.1.9.Final]
	at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline$HeadContext.channelRead(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:1334) [DefaultChannelPipeline$HeadContext.class:4.1.9.Final]
	at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline.fireChannelRead(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:926) [DefaultChannelPipeline.class:4.1.9.Final]
	at io.netty.channel.local.LocalChannel.finishPeerRead0(LocalChannel.java:443) [LocalChannel.class:4.1.9.Final]
	at io.netty.channel.local.LocalChannel.access$500(LocalChannel.java:49) [LocalChannel.class:4.1.9.Final]
	at io.netty.channel.local.LocalChannel$5.run(LocalChannel.java:397) [LocalChannel$5.class:4.1.9.Final]
	at io.netty.channel.DefaultEventLoop.run(DefaultEventLoop.java:54) [DefaultEventLoop.class:4.1.9.Final]
	at io.netty.util.concurrent.SingleThreadEventExecutor$5.run(SingleThreadEventExecutor.java:858) [SingleThreadEventExecutor$5.class:4.1.9.Final]
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:1.8.0_192]
Caused by: java.lang.InstantiationException: com.tieso2001.boneappletea.network.PacketFluidTankUpdate
	at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:427) ~[?:1.8.0_192]
	at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.network.FMLIndexedMessageToMessageCodec.decode(FMLIndexedMessageToMessageCodec.java:109) ~[FMLIndexedMessageToMessageCodec.class:?]
	at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.network.FMLIndexedMessageToMessageCodec.decode(FMLIndexedMessageToMessageCodec.java:41) ~[FMLIndexedMessageToMessageCodec.class:?]
	at io.netty.handler.codec.MessageToMessageCodec$2.decode(MessageToMessageCodec.java:81) ~[MessageToMessageCodec$2.class:4.1.9.Final]
	at io.netty.handler.codec.MessageToMessageDecoder.channelRead(MessageToMessageDecoder.java:88) ~[MessageToMessageDecoder.class:4.1.9.Final]
	... 33 more
Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchMethodException: com.tieso2001.boneappletea.network.PacketFluidTankUpdate.<init>()
	at java.lang.Class.getConstructor0(Class.java:3082) ~[?:1.8.0_192]
	at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:412) ~[?:1.8.0_192]
	at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.network.FMLIndexedMessageToMessageCodec.decode(FMLIndexedMessageToMessageCodec.java:109) ~[FMLIndexedMessageToMessageCodec.class:?]
	at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.network.FMLIndexedMessageToMessageCodec.decode(FMLIndexedMessageToMessageCodec.java:41) ~[FMLIndexedMessageToMessageCodec.class:?]
	at io.netty.handler.codec.MessageToMessageCodec$2.decode(MessageToMessageCodec.java:81) ~[MessageToMessageCodec$2.class:4.1.9.Final]
	at io.netty.handler.codec.MessageToMessageDecoder.channelRead(MessageToMessageDecoder.java:88) ~[MessageToMessageDecoder.class:4.1.9.Final]
	... 33 more
[18:43:26] [Netty Local Client IO #0/ERROR] [FML]: SimpleChannelHandlerWrapper exception
io.netty.handler.codec.DecoderException: java.lang.InstantiationException: com.tieso2001.boneappletea.network.PacketFluidTankUpdate
	at io.netty.handler.codec.MessageToMessageDecoder.channelRead(MessageToMessageDecoder.java:98) ~[MessageToMessageDecoder.class:4.1.9.Final]
	at io.netty.handler.codec.MessageToMessageCodec.channelRead(MessageToMessageCodec.java:111) ~[MessageToMessageCodec.class:4.1.9.Final]
	at io.netty.channel.embedded.EmbeddedChannel.writeInbound(EmbeddedChannel.java:274) [EmbeddedChannel.class:4.1.9.Final]
	at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.network.internal.FMLProxyPacket.processPacket(FMLProxyPacket.java:108) [FMLProxyPacket.class:?]
	at net.minecraft.network.NetworkManager.channelRead0(NetworkManager.java:155) [NetworkManager.class:?]
	at net.minecraft.network.NetworkManager.channelRead0(NetworkManager.java:49) [NetworkManager.class:?]
	at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.network.handshake.NetworkDispatcher.handleClientSideCustomPacket(NetworkDispatcher.java:385) [NetworkDispatcher.class:?]
	at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.network.handshake.NetworkDispatcher.channelRead0(NetworkDispatcher.java:271) [NetworkDispatcher.class:?]
	at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.network.handshake.NetworkDispatcher.channelRead0(NetworkDispatcher.java:72) [NetworkDispatcher.class:?]
	at io.netty.channel.local.LocalChannel.finishPeerRead0(LocalChannel.java:443) [LocalChannel.class:4.1.9.Final]
	at io.netty.channel.local.LocalChannel.access$500(LocalChannel.java:49) [LocalChannel.class:4.1.9.Final]
	at io.netty.channel.local.LocalChannel$5.run(LocalChannel.java:397) [LocalChannel$5.class:4.1.9.Final]
	at io.netty.channel.DefaultEventLoop.run(DefaultEventLoop.java:54) [DefaultEventLoop.class:4.1.9.Final]
	at io.netty.util.concurrent.SingleThreadEventExecutor$5.run(SingleThreadEventExecutor.java:858) [SingleThreadEventExecutor$5.class:4.1.9.Final]
Caused by: java.lang.InstantiationException: com.tieso2001.boneappletea.network.PacketFluidTankUpdate
	... 33 more
Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchMethodException: com.tieso2001.boneappletea.network.PacketFluidTankUpdate.<init>()
	... 33 more
[18:43:26] [Netty Local Client IO #0/ERROR] [FML]: There was a critical exception handling a packet on channel boneappletea
	at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:362) ~[AbstractChannelHandlerContext.class:4.1.9.Final]
	at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:348) ~[AbstractChannelHandlerContext.class:4.1.9.Final]
	at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.fireChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:340) ~[AbstractChannelHandlerContext.class:4.1.9.Final]
	at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline$HeadContext.channelRead(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:1334) ~[DefaultChannelPipeline$HeadContext.class:4.1.9.Final]
	at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:362) ~[AbstractChannelHandlerContext.class:4.1.9.Final]
	at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:348) ~[AbstractChannelHandlerContext.class:4.1.9.Final]
	at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline.fireChannelRead(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:926) ~[DefaultChannelPipeline.class:4.1.9.Final]
	at io.netty.channel.embedded.EmbeddedChannel.writeInbound(EmbeddedChannel.java:274) ~[EmbeddedChannel.class:4.1.9.Final]
	... 33 more
	... 33 more
[18:43:26] [Netty Local Client IO #0/ERROR] [FML]: Network Disconnect: A fatal error has occurred, this connection is terminated

If somebody could me help out with what is wrong / what isn't working. I would really appreciate that. Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Tieso2001 said:

What is this? Why are you doing this? I told you what you needed to do

On 5/3/2019 at 4:37 PM, V0idWa1k3r said:

with a fluidstack you would serialize it to a NBTTagCompound and send that over the network

Why did you create a custom PacketBuffer implementation? You don't need it, discatd it and don't do that pretty much ever again.

I'm trying to create a packet for sending a FluidStack from the server to the client

EntityPlayerMP serverPlayer = ctx.getServerHandler().player;

Your statement conflicts your implementation. Your implementation works as if the client is sending the fluid stack to the server(don't ever do that either by the way).

When I open my TileEntity ingame, I get the following error:

An IMessage implementation must have a parameterless constructor. Which the error report is telling you. Learn to read the error report, in 90% of cases the issue is stated right in it.

@Override
    {
        NBTTagCompound compound = new NBTTagCompound();
        fluidStack.writeToNBT(compound);
    }

@Override
    {

}

Okay so I wrote the FluidStack to NBTTagCompound, but now I don't know what to do. I have to write it to buf, but I don't know how exactly. It has to be a byte or an int.

I can convert the compound to byte with compound.getId(), but I don't know how that can be converted back into a fluidstack in fromBytes().

I can also convert it to an int with compound.hashcode(), but I don't that is of any use here.

I want to thank you for helping me, this networking stuff is all new to me so I appreciate that you take the effort to help me with this. Let me explain the things I have done and why I did.

Custom PacketBuffer implementation:

3 hours ago, V0idWa1k3r said:

What is this? Why are you doing this?

I got confused how write the NBTTagCompound to ByteBuf, so I started searching for other people that use FluidTank's in GUI's. I found the Forestry code on github and there it was done with a custom PacketBuffer implementation, so I thought that I also had to use that.

serverPlayer:

Your statement conflicts your implementation. Your implementation works as if the client is sending the fluid stack to the server(don't ever do that either by the way).

In the forge documentation they get the player by using ctx.getServerHandler().player; I tried to do ctx.getClientHandler() but I can't retrieve the player from that.

And also:

An IMessage implementation must have a parameterless constructor. Which the error report is telling you. Learn to read the error report, in 90% of cases the issue is stated right in it. 

Thank you, I fixed that now.

12 minutes ago, Tieso2001 said:

Okay so I wrote the FluidStack to NBTTagCompound, but now I don't know what to do. I have to write it to buf, but I don't know how exactly. It has to be a byte or an int.

ByteBufUtils(or ByteBufUtil) is a helper class that allows you to write/read NBT to/from a ByteBuffer.

13 minutes ago, Tieso2001 said:

In the forge documentation they get the player by using ctx.getServerHandler().player; I tried to do ctx.getClientHandler() but I can't retrieve the player from that.

Well, there is only one player on the client... (Minecraft.getMinecraft().player)

Thanks I got that part working now, but now I got this error when I open the TileEntity:

Caused by: java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: readerIndex(0) + length(1) exceeds writerIndex(0): UnpooledSlicedByteBuf(ridx: 0, widx: 0, cap: 0/0, unwrapped: UnpooledByteBufAllocator$InstrumentedUnpooledUnsafeHeapByteBuf(ridx: 0, widx: 1, cap: 256))
	at io.netty.buffer.AbstractByteBuf.checkReadableBytes0(AbstractByteBuf.java:1396) ~[AbstractByteBuf.class:4.1.9.Final]
	at io.netty.buffer.AbstractByteBuf.readByte(AbstractByteBuf.java:687) ~[AbstractByteBuf.class:4.1.9.Final]
	at net.minecraft.network.PacketBuffer.readByte(PacketBuffer.java:903) ~[PacketBuffer.class:?]
	at net.minecraft.network.PacketBuffer.readCompoundTag(PacketBuffer.java:332) ~[PacketBuffer.class:?]
	at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.network.ByteBufUtils.readTag(ByteBufUtils.java:227) ~[ByteBufUtils.class:?]
	at com.tieso2001.boneappletea.network.PacketFluidTankUpdate.fromBytes(PacketFluidTankUpdate.java:47) ~[PacketFluidTankUpdate.class:?]
	at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.network.simpleimpl.SimpleIndexedCodec.decodeInto(SimpleIndexedCodec.java:36) ~[SimpleIndexedCodec.class:?]
	at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.network.simpleimpl.SimpleIndexedCodec.decodeInto(SimpleIndexedCodec.java:26) ~[SimpleIndexedCodec.class:?]
	at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.network.FMLIndexedMessageToMessageCodec.decode(FMLIndexedMessageToMessageCodec.java:111) ~[FMLIndexedMessageToMessageCodec.class:?]
	... 33 more
[00:59:09] [Netty Local Client IO #0/ERROR] [FML]: Network Disconnect: A fatal error has occurred, this connection is terminated

It says that it caused by the following, but I have no idea how to fix this:

Caused by: java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: readerIndex(0) + length(1) exceeds writerIndex(0): UnpooledSlicedByteBuf(ridx: 0, widx: 0, cap: 0/0, unwrapped: UnpooledByteBufAllocator$InstrumentedUnpooledUnsafeHeapByteBuf(ridx: 0, widx: 1, cap: 256))

This happens in fromBytes():

@Override
    {
        NBTTagCompound compound = new NBTTagCompound();
        fluidStack.writeToNBT(compound);
        ByteBufUtils.writeTag(buf, compound);
    }

@Override
    {
        NBTTagCompound compound = ByteBufUtils.readTag(buf);
        fluidStack = FluidStack.loadFluidStackFromNBT(compound);
    }

I think the error says that I try to read more bytes than that are written, but this is not the case right?

Edited by Tieso2001

You were right, there was another error with the BlockPos of the tileEntity being null. I didn't realise that because the log was spamming errors so I got that fixed now. Everything seems to work now and the packet works! Thanks a lot, you really helped me.