[1.13.2] When should I register my config so its values are available at item registration

Saucier

I have some values in my config which are relevant for my items. Now I would like to pass those settings as an argument at item registration.

Like this:

event.getRegistry().register(itemFoo = new ItemFoo(Config.testvalue.get()));

But using the get() method to get the config value will result in a crash:

java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get config value without assigned Config object present
at com.google.common.base.Preconditions.checkNotNull(Preconditions.java:787)

When should I register my config to make sure, that all config values are set (not null) when the item registration triggers?

I tried the FMLCommonSetupEvent at first, but it seems like that one actually fires after item registration.

(By the way is there some kind of info graphic to see the event order?)

• Like 1

What if the server has a different config then you? you should allow for changing whatever those values are at runtime/server start/server connect. so that you can seamlessly connect to multiple servers.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon