[Solved][1.14] Adding to the player HUD

Nozzomi

I am trying to add something like a mana bar to the player's HUD but can't find a way to do so. 

From looking at a ton of different examples (i.e. RWTema's Monk Mod and coolAlias' Tutorial-Demo), a lot of things has changed since 1.12, and I'm not sure what to extend because some files are unable to be viewed. Currently, I am trying to use the RenderGameOverlayEvent.Post event to get the overlay to render, but extending either AbstractGui or IngameGui lead to some problems. It seems that drawTexturedModalRect() is gone and nowhere to be seen. From all the examples I think I need to do something with the Tessellator and TextureAtlasSprite classes. Could anyone give me a hint or lead me in the right direction?

Edited by Nozzomi
Solved

i would extend GuiScreen for the Gui (register it on the EventBus on the client side (trough your ClientProxy) 

then i would use the RenderGameOverlayEvent.Post to draw stuff and check if the event Type is not the ElementType Expierence

otherwise look at some tutorials and most of them even if they are outdated you can still use them as reference look trough some of the minecraft gui files that may also help

and 1.14 is pretty buggy so i would recommend 1.13 but your choice

(i did not mod on 1.14 just fyi) 

Edited by Oscarita25
  • Like 1

RenderGameOverlayEvent.Pre (or possibly Post) is the right place, but to just draw something on the screen, I don't see the need to extend Screen (which is what GuiScreen is now called in 1.14).  Just draw on the main screen, having checked the element type you want to draw before or after.

drawTexturedModalRect() and the various related methods are now all called blit() (overloaded by the parameters they take, which are the same as in 1.12.2 so a direct method rename should be possible), and can be found in AbstractGui.  There is a blit() overload which takes a TextureAtlasSprite, so that should work for you.

Tessellator/TextureAtlasSprite code hasn't really changed since 1.12.2 as far as I'm aware. Get your sprite from a TextureStitchEvent.Pre event handler as normal.

As for 1.13?  It's a dead-end.  Active development is on 1.14.2 now, and even it's a bit rough right now, it will inevitably improve.

Edited by desht
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, desht said:

As for 1.13?  It's a dead-end.  Active development is on 1.14.2 now, and even it's a bit rough right now, it will inevitably improve.

oh ok thanks for the information ?

11 minutes ago, desht said:

RenderGameOverlayEvent.Pre (or possibly Post)

its post if you want to draw after the ElementType that you check for if i am correct (not sure tho) 

2 minutes ago, Oscarita25 said:

its post if you want to draw after the ElementType that you check for if i am correct (not sure tho) 

Yes, that is correct.  It's probably only important if you want to draw specifically over or under an existing element.  If drawing on a separate area of the screen, either should be fine (and of course the Pre event is cancelable, while the Post event is not).

Edited by desht