Custom cave/world generation.

Cerandior

I am working on a "fun" project, changing the game by adding things that in my opinion do not hinder the vanilla experience but make the game better. One thing about the game that I find kind of dull, are the caves. Is there any way to edit the way minecraft generates caves? I guess disabling the cave generation completely and creating a brand new one would work as well, but I do not posses the experience to do such a thing. Minor editing could do the trick. Also, while we are at it. Is there a way to disable an existing structure generation? For example, I want to disable the generation of dungeons and replace them with my own design. How do you generate structures in the world?

Thank you for your answers.

1 hour ago, Toma™ said:

Maybe it would be possible without world type, honestly I haven't really looked for it. In my opinion creating the world type is very simple

It might be simple, I am not sure. I just don't think it is convenient for the player. It limits choice as for example he wouldn't be able to play with my mod if he wants to have biomes o plenty in it as well.

I was hoping there was some sort of event that it is fired when the world is generated. I didn't want any big changes in the system anyway. Minor editing like for example the frequency of the generation of caves would probably do the trick for what I want. If there is no other way, I might as well just leave it be.

Also, do you know how structure generation works in the newer versions of forge? I used to make a couple of mods a while back (when blockstates were introduced) and I think you could generate structures in the world using schematics back then. Not sure how you would do that now. Would you be able to link me to some forge docs or some existing project that explains what I want to do?

Thank you.

Edited by Cerandior

For world gen there are some events, try to take look in the events package in forge. It might have what you need.

Also for the newer versions I guess you mean 1.13+, and in that case I have very little experience with that.

Also I was looking at some mods which improve world gen and they always used the world type approach. 

There are many more experienced modders, who might know more about this. So maybe you'll get more help from them.

4 hours ago, Toma™ said:

For world gen there are some events, try to take look in the events package in forge. It might have what you need.

Also for the newer versions I guess you mean 1.13+, and in that case I have very little experience with that.

Also I was looking at some mods which improve world gen and they always used the world type approach. 

There are many more experienced modders, who might know more about this. So maybe you'll get more help from them.

Okay, thank you for your time man, appreciate it. I will look into some other mods for examples too.