[Discussion] Obfuscation

NolValue

So this isn't so much support, as I know how to do this, but I was wondering exactly why it's so frowned upon within this community? 

The personal reasons I do this with a couple of mods are as followed
1. Clients who I do mod development for would like mods to be obfuscated because they don't want the features within them to be replicated (Scummy in my opinion, but I go with it, especially when they pay me more.)
2. Security reasons, packets can be surprisingly easy to manipulate if someone takes the time to research them and finds a vulnerability. While I try to avoid vulnerabilities by adding serverside checks, there's always going to be an exploit. This is what I do for my personal projects that are meant to be heavily serversided focus. 
3. Avoidance of clientside exploits. A good example of this would be a 1.7.10 Mod called Dragon Block C, where due to the modder's failure to properly hide functions and what they do, I ended up able to create a mod that allows me to instantly transform and reach max output percentage of stats.

These are my reasons, though I rarely do obfuscation aside from projects with very experimental and potentially exploitable features or upon specific request from a paying client. When I'm not worried about such issues they'll be left alone with no special obfuscation attempts

I'd like to hear the thoughts of other modders, as I personally understand the need for it in certain situations. Normally however, while I don't frown upon it, I don't think it's outright necessary.