Modifying block behavior [1.12.2]

theishiopian

So I have an idea for a mod, but I'm unsure of the best approach for it, and I would like some guidance. 

I want to make a mod that allows you to collect netherrack with your fist, like punching trees to get wood.The way I would do it is make an event handler that checks for blocks being beroken, and if the block is netherrack, add drops. however, it seems wasteful to create a whole event handler for this one thing. Is there an easier way to do this? 

EDIT: Block.setHarvestLevel is unfortunately no longer an option in modern forge

Edited by theishiopian
Update status

1 hour ago, Meldexun said:

Since my first attempt isn't working  i would use the HarvestCheck event. You only need to check if the block is netherrack and set the success to true.

Given the lack of an alternative, I think that's what I'll go with. Thanks anyways for your help. If anyone chances upon this thread with a better solution, I'm all ears.

Edited by DaemonUmbra
Cleaned up reference to thread hijack that was hidden