Simple Summon Lightning on Right Click with Sword 1.12.2

sarxworks

Hello All :), I am relatively new to minecraft modding so I might be a bit unsure about certain things. I have a basic grasp on Java programming so I would say I somewhat understand how the code works and I'm constantly trying to learn but I've hit a snag. Basically I'm trying to make a basic sword that fires lightning bolts on right click however I can't seem to get the code to work. This is currently what I'm using:

public BoltSword(String unlocalizedName, ToolMaterial material) {
        super(unlocalizedName, material);
    }
    public ActionResult<ItemStack> onItemRightClick(ItemStack itemStackIn, World worldIn, EntityPlayer playerIn, EnumHand hand) {
        if (worldIn.isRemote) {
            RayTraceResult result = playerIn.rayTrace(100, 1F);
            int x = result.getBlockPos().getX();
            int y = result.getBlockPos().getY();
            int z = result.getBlockPos().getZ();
            EntityLightningBolt lightning = new EntityLightningBolt(worldIn, x, y, z, false);
            worldIn.addWeatherEffect(lightning);

}
        return new ActionResult(EnumActionResult.SUCCESS, itemStackIn);

I've tried searching endless posts and this was the furthest I've gotten however it still won't work. I will appreciate any help given and I'm open to any suggestions you guys may recommend me. Thanks!

Entity summoning are controlled on the server side, thus summoning lightning bolts on the client will not work.

Send a packet to the server when the sword is right clicked with; write a handler for that packet that summons the lightning.

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

1. Do not follow tutorials on YouTube, especially TechnoVision (previously called Loremaster) and HarryTalks, due to their promotion of bad practice and usage of outdated code.

2. Always post your code.

3. Never copy and paste code. You won't learn anything from doing that.

Programming via Eclipse's hotfixes will get you nowhere

5. Learn to use your IDE, especially the debugger.

The "picture that's worth 1000 words" only works if there's an obvious problem or a freehand red circle around it.

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

1. Read the EAQ before asking for help. Remember to provide the appropriate log(s).

2. Versions below 1.11 are no longer supported due to their age. Update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support.

6 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

Not needed, onItemRightClick is called on the server, too.

I thought OP needed RayTracing. If I recall correctly RayTracing is client only?

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

1. Do not follow tutorials on YouTube, especially TechnoVision (previously called Loremaster) and HarryTalks, due to their promotion of bad practice and usage of outdated code.

2. Always post your code.

3. Never copy and paste code. You won't learn anything from doing that.

Programming via Eclipse's hotfixes will get you nowhere

5. Learn to use your IDE, especially the debugger.

The "picture that's worth 1000 words" only works if there's an obvious problem or a freehand red circle around it.

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

1. Read the EAQ before asking for help. Remember to provide the appropriate log(s).

2. Versions below 1.11 are no longer supported due to their age. Update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support.

4 hours ago, sarxworks said:

Hello All :), I am relatively new to minecraft modding so I might be a bit unsure about certain things. I have a basic grasp on Java programming so I would say I somewhat understand how the code works and I'm constantly trying to learn but I've hit a snag. Basically I'm trying to make a basic sword that fires lightning bolts on right click however I can't seem to get the code to work. This is currently what I'm using:

public BoltSword(String unlocalizedName, ToolMaterial material) {
        super(unlocalizedName, material);
    }
    public ActionResult<ItemStack> onItemRightClick(ItemStack itemStackIn, World worldIn, EntityPlayer playerIn, EnumHand hand) {
        if (worldIn.isRemote) {
            EntityLightningBolt lightning = new EntityLightningBolt(worldIn, x, y, z, false);
            worldIn.addWeatherEffect(lightning);

}
        return new ActionResult(EnumActionResult.SUCCESS, itemStackIn);

I've tried searching endless posts and this was the furthest I've gotten however it still won't work. I will appreciate any help given and I'm open to any suggestions you guys may recommend me. Thanks!

Check for !World::isRemote. Also, EntityPlayer::rayTrace(double blockReachDistance, float partialTicks) has @SideOnly(Side.CLIENT) annotation, so you can't run it on server thread or you'll crash. Use World::rayTraceBlocks(Vec3d start, Vec3d end) instead.

One more thing, make an instance of BlockPos instead of calling the same method three times.

Edited by Differentiation
  • Thanks 1

Alright so I first realized that one of the value "worldIn" was a mistake by me. I meant to use "world". I have changed the code around and used world.isRemote however I'm still not getting a response from right clicking. I'm not worrying too much about cleaning up the code as of right now, just trying to test things out. This is what I have: 

public class LightningBoltEvent{
        @SubscribeEvent
        public ActionResult<ItemStack> onItemRightClick(ItemStack itemStackIn, World world, EntityPlayer playerIn, EnumHand hand){
            if(!world.isRemote) {
                  EntityLightningBolt lightning = new EntityLightningBolt(world, x, y, z, false);
                  world.addWeatherEffect(lightning);
            }
                return new ActionResult<ItemStack>(EnumActionResult.SUCCESS, itemStackIn);

I even tried referencing the class in the main class to see if the event was not initializing but no change. Is it that I did not use the @Override annotation or no?

3 minutes ago, sarxworks said:

I even tried referencing the class in the main class to see if the event was not initializing but no change

What you have there is not an event.

How much do you know Java? If not much I don't recommend starting with creating a Minecraft Modding.

If you know Java you don't have the right method signature It's Item#onItemRightClick(World, EntityPlayer, EnumHand) You don't get the ItemStack but you can get it via EntityPlayer#getHeldItem()

• Thanks 1

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

I've taken a MOOC class over the summer so I understand the basics of the Java like OOP, Basic methods, modifiers, flow statements and the other fundamentals. If I need to know more I'm more than willing to learn. I figured that after a while because I was wondering what purpose the ItemStack had in the method. Alright I will try that.

Edited by sarxworks