Modded Blocks from upgraded world missing

Daniel Rollins

Hi, I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I built a mod in 1.12.2 with lots of custom blocks which I used to build things in the world. I now have the mod  working in 1.14.4 (and even in 1.13.2 along the way). The problem is that when I load one of my 1.12.2 worlds in 1.13.2 or in 1.14.4, all my custom blocks are gone from the world. I have them in the inventory so I can use them and I kept all the same names, but all my stuff only has the vanilla blocks. The custom blocks are just gone from anything I built. Is there something I'm missing? I figured keeping the block names the same would have converted them to the new version. Is there something else I need to do? Note: Some of the blocks are really simple, some have a few properties like powered and direction, and a few have tile entities.

Thank you for any help you can give.

35 minutes ago, Daniel Rollins said:

Thank you for any help you can give.

I dont think there is anything in place for this as of now. They are currently working on dissecting the DataFixer system and trying to make it mod friendly.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

7 minutes ago, Animefan8888 said:

I dont think there is anything in place for this as of now. They are currently working on dissecting the DataFixer system and trying to make it mod friendly.

So basically at the moment we can't bring over a modded world from 1.12.2 to 1.13 or 1.14? All we can do it get our mod ready for the new version and build everything in the world from scratch or wait for the new DataFixer system? What about that missingMapping thing. Would that help?

Edited by Daniel Rollins

9 hours ago, Daniel Rollins said:

What about that missingMapping thing.

That only maps registry entries that were found on disk with new registry entries. If you have an old block called, say, "logs" and it was two kinds of wood, so its now "oak_logs" and "birch_logs" you could data map from "logs" to "oak_logs" but all your birch trees would be oak.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Thank you everyone for your help. One more question: Is it possible to edit the actual Minecraft base code? It seems to be read-only in Eclipse. I found the part of the code where it does the block renames using the data fixer upper. If I could just add several additional lines of code to the function I think I could have it take care of my blocks as well. It seems like such a simple fix if I could just edit it, otherwise I'm not sure how to do it.

8 minutes ago, Daniel Rollins said:

Is it possible to edit the actual Minecraft base code? It seems to be read-only in Eclipse

No. You are not allowed to do that. That's called "jar modding" and is explicitly against the Forge compatibility rules. That's why vanilla files are "read only."

If you want to help make the datafixers work, you will want to look into Contributing to Forge.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.