What is Forge?

Kiqkin

I write software for a living and have been playing Minecraft for a while and can't seem to find a simple description of what Forge is or why I need it.

Just a suggestion, but this forum needs a one or two paragraph description on the home page telling exactly what Forge is. To new Minecrafters and modders its not at all clear what this site is about or why one would need Forge.

I write software for a living and have been playing Minecraft for a while and can't seem to find a simple description of what Forge is or why I need it.

Just a suggestion, but this forum needs a one or two paragraph description on the home page telling exactly what Forge is. To new Minecrafters and modders its not at all clear what this site is about or why one would need Forge.

Don't be silly, everyone knows FORGE is for....well it's.....it kinda....um

To tell the truth I have been all over this freaking site and I still have NO clue what forge is. Is it a mod loader? A graphics mod? A total conversion? Does it do anything at all? All these questions and many more are answered on the MinecraftForge About page. Unfortunately this page does not exist in this time or dimension. There isn't even a page on the wiki explaining what it is or why you'd want it. Maybe nobody knows and it is just a big mystery.

Don't be silly, everyone knows FORGE is for....well it's.....it kinda....um

To tell the truth I have been all over this freaking site and I still have NO clue what forge is. Is it a mod loader? A graphics mod? A total conversion? Does it do anything at all? All these questions and many more are answered on the MinecraftForge About page. Unfortunately this page does not exist in this time or dimension. There isn't even a page on the wiki explaining what it is or why you'd want it. Maybe nobody knows and it is just a big mystery.

For the average user, Forge is nothing. We strive very hard to make our edits to Minecraft change absolutely NOTHING that the user would actually notice.

Forge is designed purely for Modders.

So it doesn't fall into any category that the average user would be familiar with.

For a experienced programmer its quite obvious what forge is. A library and compatibility layer.

Some call this an API, though in the Minecraft world 'API' means something completely different, most notably it means a abstraction layer such as Bukkit or what people assume the fabled official API will be.

There is one caviot to this, Forge does a lot of bug fixes for vanilla minecraft. That the users may notice. Mainly by the lack of crashing, the improved FPS, and overall performance increases.

If someone wants to write a more detailed explanation, feel free.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

For the average user, Forge is nothing. We strive very hard to make our edits to Minecraft change absolutely NOTHING that the user would actually notice.

Forge is designed purely for Modders.

So it doesn't fall into any category that the average user would be familiar with.

For a experienced programmer its quite obvious what forge is. A library and compatibility layer.

Some call this an API, though in the Minecraft world 'API' means something completely different, most notably it means a abstraction layer such as Bukkit or what people assume the fabled official API will be.

There is one caviot to this, Forge does a lot of bug fixes for vanilla minecraft. That the users may notice. Mainly by the lack of crashing, the improved FPS, and overall performance increases.

If someone wants to write a more detailed explanation, feel free.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.

I like how you picked two words in my post that seem to contradict each other.

But if you actually read my post it's entirety, it is explained. I don't feel like I should need to repeat myself.

I like how you picked two words in my post that seem to contradict each other.

But if you actually read my post it's entirety, it is explained. I don't feel like I should need to repeat myself.

.....it doesn't do anything at all?  :o

Well I'm confused. You tell us it does nothing but also fixes stuff? Wha?

Forge and Forge Mod Loader are designed to allow mods to be loaded and Applied to minecraft without base class editing(meaning having to replace any files inside of minecraft.jar ) on the side of the mod creator. beyond just loading mods Forge also fixes vanilla bugs as Lex said(small changes in the code where basic minecraft didn't do it the best) and give smooth compatibility among mods so mods can not only run smoothly together but also share things like liquids, like Buildcraft and Railcraft tanks can all hold other mods liquids because of Forge(im 95% sure of this but feel free to correct me if i am wrong). what Lex means by doing nothing at all is that it does not add a single block or item or mob to the game and without mods installed you will notice no real changes to the mechanics of minecraft and gameplay. Forge allows mod creators to effectively and easily create mods and additions with as much compatibility as possible.

.....it doesn't do anything at all?  :o

Well I'm confused. You tell us it does nothing but also fixes stuff? Wha?

Forge and Forge Mod Loader are designed to allow mods to be loaded and Applied to minecraft without base class editing(meaning having to replace any files inside of minecraft.jar ) on the side of the mod creator. beyond just loading mods Forge also fixes vanilla bugs as Lex said(small changes in the code where basic minecraft didn't do it the best) and give smooth compatibility among mods so mods can not only run smoothly together but also share things like liquids, like Buildcraft and Railcraft tanks can all hold other mods liquids because of Forge(im 95% sure of this but feel free to correct me if i am wrong). what Lex means by doing nothing at all is that it does not add a single block or item or mob to the game and without mods installed you will notice no real changes to the mechanics of minecraft and gameplay. Forge allows mod creators to effectively and easily create mods and additions with as much compatibility as possible.

Behold.

http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/Minecraft_Forge

Not updated in a month, they now have many more features than that but who cares :)

Read the EAQ before posting! OR ELSE!

This isn't building better software, its trying to grab a place in the commit list of a highly visible github project.

www.forgeessentials.com

Don't PM me, I don't check this account unless I have to.

Behold.

http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/Minecraft_Forge

Not updated in a month, they now have many more features than that but who cares :)

Read the EAQ before posting! OR ELSE!

This isn't building better software, its trying to grab a place in the commit list of a highly visible github project.

www.forgeessentials.com

Don't PM me, I don't check this account unless I have to.