Item NBT not syncing in Creative mode for connected users

stepsword

Hopefully my last thread as this is the last TODO on my list before release..

NBT on items seems to be messed up for creative mode. It doesn't affect the host of the server, but for anyone else, switching to creative mode with /gamemode c seems to reset all the NBT of the items in their inventory. In particular, this happens only when they can see the item in their inventory.

So in creative mode, when you press the "inventory button" it shows a big list of items for you to grab and hides your inner inventory, but shows your hotbar. Things on the hotbar have their NBT reset, but things in the inner inventory are fine.. until you switch to look at the inner inventory, and then they get their NBT reset. Also, it seems like this NBT reset happens so frequently that items on the hotbar gets stuck in the "use item" animation, making items with NBT essentially unusable in creative. 

I'm using  getNBTShareTag and readNBTShareTag to sync capabilities, like this, cause I'm showing the data in the tooltip: 

@Override
public boolean getShareTag() {
    return true;
}

@Override
public NBTTagCompound getNBTShareTag(ItemStack stack) {
    IGemMahou gemMahou = stack.getCapability(GemMahouProvider.MAHOU, null);
    NBTBase nbt = GemMahouProvider.MAHOU.getStorage().writeNBT(GemMahouProvider.MAHOU, gemMahou, null);
    NBTTagCompound ret = super.getNBTShareTag(stack);
    if (ret == null) ret = new NBTTagCompound();
    ret.setTag("mahou", nbt);
    return ret;
}

@Override
public void readNBTShareTag(ItemStack stack, NBTTagCompound nbtt) {
    if (nbtt != null && nbtt.hasKey("mahou")) {
        IGemMahou serverGemMahou = new GemMahou();
        GemMahouProvider.MAHOU.getStorage().readNBT(GemMahouProvider.MAHOU, serverGemMahou, null, nbtt.getTag("mahou"));
        if (gemMahou != null)
            gemMahou.setStoredMana(serverGemMahou.getStoredMana());
    }
}

I've only noticed this on items which have the ShareTag, but basically all my items which have NBT show it in the tooltip, so it may be unrelated, too.

I've found only one thing which looks similar to my problem here:

https://github.com/MinecraftForge/MinecraftForge/issues/4580

But this seems to be much less of a problem than mine. Even opening creative at all resets NBT, not just moving items around.

Any ideas on what can be done to fix it? 

42 minutes ago, stepsword said:

I've found only one thing which looks similar to my problem here:

The solution to your problem is to not modify the NBTTagCompound in getShareTag. Just send all of the data. There was a PR here, but it seems to have been forgotten about. Maybe making a comment on the PR and tagging Mezz in it will bring it back to their attention. Though the problem isn't that big of one, because in most cases creative mode won't be used.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

15 minutes ago, Animefan8888 said:

The solution to your problem is to not modify the NBTTagCompound in getShareTag. Just send all of the data. There was a PR here, but it seems to have been forgotten about. Maybe making a comment on the PR and tagging Mezz in it will bring it back to their attention. Though the problem isn't that big of one, because in most cases creative mode won't be used.

When you say send all of the data do you mean with packets or just something like this?

Edit: don't know what happened to my last code, seems like it all disappeared

@Override
public NBTTagCompound getNBTShareTag(ItemStack stack) {
    NBTBase nbt = GemMahouProvider.MAHOU.getStorage().writeNBT(GemMahouProvider.MAHOU, gemMahou, null);
    return nbt;
}
Edited by stepsword

Just now, stepsword said:

@Override public getNBTShareTagMAHOU, null; MAHOUMAHOU, , null; ;

This won't even compile so I definitely didn't mean anything like that.Just don't override getNBTShareTag or getShareTag. That way all of the NBT will be sent to the client. Then you can override readNBTShareTag and use it to update your ItemStack's capability.

• Thanks 1

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

1 minute ago, Animefan8888 said:

This won't even compile so I definitely didn't mean anything like that.Just don't override getNBTShareTag or getShareTag. That way all of the NBT will be sent to the client. Then you can override readNBTShareTag and use it to update your ItemStack's capability.

Sorry - I tried pasting/editing from the forum and it came out like that. I see what you mean now though - I didn't realize NBT was shared whether or not I overrode getNBTShareTag. Thanks for the help with this!