Pre-Init vs Init

Dambob

Hey there. I have been reading a few different modders' code and I can see some differences in style. One thing that occurred to me is the different uses of the pre-init and init functions.

Some modders use pre-init to load configuration files, blocks, items etc, and use init just for registering network GUI handlers.

Others use pre-init just for config files and load everything else in init.

I was wondering what the norm is and what differences (if any) there are in these implementations?

Hey there. I have been reading a few different modders' code and I can see some differences in style. One thing that occurred to me is the different uses of the pre-init and init functions.

Some modders use pre-init to load configuration files, blocks, items etc, and use init just for registering network GUI handlers.

Others use pre-init just for config files and load everything else in init.

I was wondering what the norm is and what differences (if any) there are in these implementations?

Yes, Pahimar is one of the modder's I have been looking at.

However, apart from saying 'different things need loaded at different times' (which is true) he doesn't give any reason why the blocks should be loaded there.

I say should, as other modders load them in init and it works perfectly fine.

Yes, Pahimar is one of the modder's I have been looking at.

However, apart from saying 'different things need loaded at different times' (which is true) he doesn't give any reason why the blocks should be loaded there.

I say should, as other modders load them in init and it works perfectly fine.

Pahimar stated that CPW wants it this way. (Blocks, items etc. in the pre-init).

Basically, it's where cpw wants it (and since he wrote FML, that's where it should go)

Basically, if you do it there you will always get your textures for your blocks/items. If you do it later, no guarantee. I'll leave it to cpw to explain the mechanics though!

So yeah. That's good enough for me. (:

Pahimar stated that CPW wants it this way. (Blocks, items etc. in the pre-init).

Basically, it's where cpw wants it (and since he wrote FML, that's where it should go)

Basically, if you do it there you will always get your textures for your blocks/items. If you do it later, no guarantee. I'll leave it to cpw to explain the mechanics though!

So yeah. That's good enough for me. (: