Item Frame - Special Content Rendering

Draco18s

So I have an item that I would like to display in an item frame in a non-standard manner (similar to maps and compasses and not like other items).

How would I go about doing this without a base class edit?

The first thought is that I could extend ItemMap and then it would count as a map and render as a map, but RenderItemFrame has this:

if (entityitem.getEntityItem().getItem() == Item.map)

Which precludes that.  It looks to see if an item is exactly a vanilla map or vanilla compass, not any other item which might be a subclass.

Writing my own renderer is going to do no good, as then it wouldn't be a renderer for Itemframes.

If anyone who can do Forge pulls / request such, the above line SHOULD be thus:

if (entityitem.getEntityItem().getItem().isMap())

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

So I have an item that I would like to display in an item frame in a non-standard manner (similar to maps and compasses and not like other items).

How would I go about doing this without a base class edit?

The first thought is that I could extend ItemMap and then it would count as a map and render as a map, but RenderItemFrame has this:

if (entityitem.getEntityItem().getItem() == Item.map)

Which precludes that.  It looks to see if an item is exactly a vanilla map or vanilla compass, not any other item which might be a subclass.

Writing my own renderer is going to do no good, as then it wouldn't be a renderer for Itemframes.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

• 4 months later...

I noticed that item frames still don't use the handy isMap() method to render maps.

Hi

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do non-standard, but I think you could probably achieve it by writing a custom IItemRenderer for Dropped entities and checking RenderItem.renderInFrame.

See here for example, near the bottom

http://greyminecraftcoder.blogspot.com.au/2013/09/custom-item-rendering-using.html

-TGG

You should make a custom Item Renderer and then in it check for RenderItem.renderInFrame, which is true if the item being rendered is in an ItemFrame.

As opposed to say, making an item that extends ItemMapBase (so isMap -> true) which should be utilized in all ways by other objects in the same way as a vanilla map. :|

(isMap is called in one place in the entire Minecraft codebase, which boggles my mind)

• 1 year later...

Apologies for the necro. I make this post so anyone looking for the info isn't misled.  It was brought to my attention and isn't a good thing to let lie, lest folks mess it up. :P

No. 0.o

That function is for data sending NOT rendering.

You can already do this using a custom item renderer (IItemRenderer) to control how the entity form of the item is rendered or by using the RenderItemInFrameEvent.

Thanks XCW, but:

September 18, 2013