FYI: Upgrading Ubuntu linux to Java7

deadscion

From various sources I learned Java7 works better so I upgraded from Java6 to Java7.

I use Ubuntu 12

However, Minecraft 1.2.5 does not like Java7.

After some research and experimenting, I discovered the Light Weight Java Graphics Library(lwjgl) inside Minecraft had to be upgraded as well.

I am using lwjgl 2.8.4, which gives me a performance increase in Minecraft. My previous setup had unreliable sound and rendering glitches, even with the latest graphics card and sound upgrades, plus recommended settings, drivers.

The website explains it http://www.lwjgl.org/

The download links lead you to  SourceForge which provides a zip and even sounce code.

If you decide to try the upgrade always make backup copies.

Research a method for downgrading Java7 back to Java6 if it does not work out for your particular Operating System.

In the zip you download, you will find files just like those in your .Minecraft/bin and .Minecraft/bin/natives folders.

I replaced all the original lwjgl files in Minecraft and left the extra files I found in the downloaded zip, just in case they were needed.

What about Minecraft 1.3 when it comes out? That is currently pure speculation. I am not going to worry about that bridge until I cross it.

Edit: I just discovered Java 7 does not always work well with some mods, so be ready to downgrade back to Java7 if this happens. LWJGL 2.8.4 works well with Java 7 and Java 6 on my computer.