[1.12] setting lightmaps for entities and blocks [Solved]

nil

The context depends on the context, naturally, but I think what you're looking for is generally going to be the BufferBuilder#lightmap() method, if you're using the Tessellator. Otherwise, more specific questioning would be appreciated.

Fancy 3D Graphing Calculator mod, with many different coordinate systems.

Lightweight 3D/2D position/vector transformations library, also with support for different coordinate systems.

I have also been trying to figure this out to no avail. I had code that worked back in 1.7.10 but I don't know when it broke because I took a long hiatus from modding with only a few short returns in that time. I hope you can find something that would work for you. I have some code that could work, but is very inefficient and actually breaks lighting within 16 blocks of the entity.

I'm trying to set lighting for a custom projectile entity.

18 hours ago, SerpentDagger said:

but I think what you're looking for is generally going to be the BufferBuilder#lightmap()

Is there somewhere i can check the correct usage of this? I can't decifer what int p_187314_1_ and int p_187314_2_ do / how i have to set them.

5 hours ago, saxon564 said:

I have some code that could work

Does this contain BufferBuilder#lightmap()?

1 hour ago, nil said:

Is there somewhere i can check the correct usage of this? I can't decifer what int p_187314_1_ and int p_187314_2_ do / how i have to set them.

It's used within Minecraft's rendering code, one example being located within BlockFluidRenderer#renderFluid().

I personally haven't used it extensively, so I'm not the best one to try and explain this, but the two ints seem to correspond to brightness, and range from 0 to ~220. I think they're (u, v) coordinates on Minecraft's lightmap texture.

In the fluid class I pointed to earlier, though, they result from the manipulation of the value returned from IBlockProperties#getPackedLightmapCoords().

What I've done with them is contour 3D graphs, which is independent of the world's lighting, so I'm not sure how to do that myself. In my work, I used the first as a sort of "base" brightness, and manipulated the second to alter it from there. I don't know if that's the generally used method, though.

It's worth noting, in case you're unfamiliar with the Tessellator, that this method should be used in accordance with the vertex format at hand, which is something you should learn a little about if you haven't already.

Edited by SerpentDagger

Lightweight 3D/2D position/vector transformations library, also with support for different coordinate systems.

On 11/28/2019 at 9:30 PM, saxon564 said:

I did notice my last working code was actually in 1.12.2 and included entity lighting.

The method you use works almost perfectly, however, the lighting effect doesn't get removed even after the entity is long dead. Do you use any methods to clear the created lighting?

On 11/28/2019 at 1:12 AM, SerpentDagger said:

It's worth noting, in case you're unfamiliar with the Tessellator, that this method should be used in accordance with the vertex format at hand

I have never used a tessellator, are there any examples i can look at to get a better understanding of this? Also what do you mean by vertex format?

7 minutes ago, nil said:

The method you use works almost perfectly, however, the lighting effect doesn't get removed even after the entity is long dead. Do you use any methods to clear the created lighting?

You need to call a block update for the block the chicken occupies when it dies. I handle that in the livingUpdate method at the end of the method by having a check for if the chicken is dead and running the code.

1 hour ago, nil said:

The method you use works almost perfectly

Ah, in that case you need not worry about the Tessellator or BufferBuilder#lightmap(), they're applicable in different scenarios than the one you seem to be dealing with. Sorry about that.

1 hour ago, nil said:

I have never used a tessellator, are there any examples i can look at to get a better understanding of this? Also what do you mean by vertex format?

The Tessellator is a commonly used method of rendering things directly in the world. In using it, you first apply various settings using the GlStateManager, then add vertices into the Tessellator's buffer, draw the buffer with Tessellator#draw(), and then reset the necessary settings with the GlStateManager.

A VertexFormat is applied when beginning to add vertices to the buffer, and it dictates what information each vertex requires. For example: you might use DefaultVertexFormats#POSITION_COLOR, in which case you would need to add position information, followed immediately by color information, to the vertex you're building.

Some general information about how the Tessellator works can be found here, but it's a bit outdated, so you should refer to my answer here for exact steps. Here's a simple example, but that was back when I was just learning about this stuff, so I got the translation wrong (as explained in the answer I followed up with). The rest's fine.

Like I said, though, it seems you've got a different situation here, so that's mostly just in case you have an insatiable thirst for MInecraft rendering knowledge.

On 12/3/2019 at 12:37 AM, saxon564 said:

You need to call a block update for the block the chicken occupies when it dies

I assume you mean  this.world.checkLightFor(EnumSkyBlock.BLOCK,new BlockPos((int) x, (int) y, (int) z));

The issue is that my entity is a projectile, which means that it creates light at loads of different x,y and z positions. So i tried to remove the light the following way:

if (this.emitsLight)
        {
        	double x = 0;
        	double y = 0;
        	double z = 0;
        	if(hasPrevLight)
        	{
        		removeLight(x,y,z);
        	}
            	this.addLight(10);
            	x = this.posX;
            	y = this.lastTickPosY;
            	z = this.lastTickPosZ;
            	this.hasPrevLight = true;
        }

with hasPrevLight set to false when the entity is spawned and

private void removeLight(double x, double y, double z)
	{
		this.world.checkLightFor(EnumSkyBlock.BLOCK,new BlockPos((int) x, (int) y, (int) z));
	}

Sadly this doesn't remove the lighting along the path.

The lighting updates its previous position as it moves. Unless the entity, or in your case projectile, is moving at over 1 block per tick then you don't need to track the last position. If you really need to, you can check every block in the 3x3 cube centered around the chicken but the need for that would be very rare as that would mean the entity would go perfectly between the corners of 2 blocks and not touch a mutual block. Share your whole class so I can see what you have setup.

21 minutes ago, nil said:

Since the class is rather large what would be the best way to share it here?

Github is the best way to share code. If you upload it correctly, the it will allow others to fork your code and try to do their own debugging to help you, as well as they won't have to ask you to also share other classes, as all your classes will be available.

You are setting x y and z back to 0 every tick, so it doesn't matter how many times you set it, you are always going to update the block at 0, 0, 0. I would declare x y and z at the top of the class instead of the method, this way you won't reset them back to 0 every tick.