Feasibility of command block mod.

__Sirloin__

Hi there,

I am new to Minecraft modding, and would like to ask more experienced modders if my mod idea is feasible to implement using Minecraft Forge. What I want to do is very simple in principle, I want to make an improved version of a command block. At the moment command blocks have a lot of limitations. There are a multitude of commands that they are unable to execute, especially commands added from other Forge mods.

Would it be possible to make a mod that adds an improved version of the command block, which is able to execute commands as if they were typed directly into the server console? Or would this require modification of core Minecraft classes?

Thanks for your time,  ;)

Francis

I'm not very experienced but it sounds very possible. Just take a look at the current commands, and use Eclipse to trace through (control + h to search for references/accesses or occurences of a string or Java field/class/method, etc.).

Off the top of my head, your only problem will be dealing with who "executes" a command and who can edit the command (eg: a new player shouldn't be able to run up to a block, change it to "ban X" and hit a button). You can make anything runnable but then you need to be careful who has access to these blocks. If it's the player that activates it with redstone, well - there's no way to detect who activates redstone (AFAIK, please let me know if it exists). Or maybe it's the player that places the block that "runs" the command - in that case you could save the username in metadata or in a tile entity