[1.14] moving item assignment to a separate function

JetCobblestone

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to move my item assignment into a new class. I've stuck in into the same package as my main and called it ItemsLoader.

package jetcobblestone.firstmod;

import jetcobblestone.firstmod.lists.itemList;
import net.minecraft.item.Foods;
import net.minecraft.item.Item;
import net.minecraft.item.ItemGroup;
import net.minecraft.util.ResourceLocation;
import net.minecraftforge.event.RegistryEvent;
import net.minecraftforge.eventbus.api.SubscribeEvent;
import net.minecraftforge.fml.common.Mod;

public class ItemsLoader
{
	public static final String modid = "first_mod";

public static void Items()
	{
		@Mod.EventBusSubscriber(bus=Mod.EventBusSubscriber.Bus.MOD)

public static class RegistryEvents
		{
			@SubscribeEvent
			public static void registerItems(final RegistryEvent.Register<Item> event)
			{
				event.getRegistry().registerAll
				(
						itemList.hair_fibre = new Item(new Item.Properties().food(Foods.COOKIE).group(ItemGroup.FOOD).maxStackSize(1)).setRegistryName(location("hair_fibre"))
				);
			}
		}
		private static ResourceLocation location(String name)
		{
			return new ResourceLocation(modid, name);
		}
	}
}

This is the new class, however I'm running into an issue with the new Items function. It's giving me an error saying that it's expecting a volatile at the void token. Why is it trying to force me to do this? I don't want to send this to main memory? If I do replace void with volatile, it tells me there's a syntax error on the 'void' token, despite the fact there is no void. Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

5 minutes ago, LexManos said:

You have a lambda, inside a function, inside a class, inside a function, inside a class. Think there may be a problem with that?

There are so many to keep track of I getting confusedd ARGGGG

public class ItemsLoader
{
	public static final String modid = "first_mod";

public static class RegistryEvents
	{
		@SubscribeEvent
		{
			(
					itemList.hair_fibre = new Item(new Item.Properties().food(Foods.COOKIE).group(ItemGroup.FOOD).maxStackSize(1)).setRegistryName(location("hair_fibre"))
			);
		}
	}
	{
		return new ResourceLocation(modid, name);
	}
}

This works fine? I don't know where I need to put the method to be able to call the item registration into my main.

Edited by JetCobblestone

1 minute ago, LexManos said:

Go through line by line, and tell me what each does, and why you put it there.

Ok, first we're defining the package, so basically telling the programme where this is.

Next we import resources from minecraft and forge, so the programme knows what I'm referencing when talking about about items etc.

I also import the item list I have, so it knows the data for the items which I'm trying to load.

I then start the actual code by opening a public class, so that it can be accessed by the main.

I then set the variable modid, so that I can easily change the name of my mod if needed. I did this in the main, but I couldn't seem to access it from there in this class, despite it being public.

I then open a public static void method so I can call upon the code in my main programme. I set it as static, as nothing in it changes, and as a void as it returns nothing, just registers the items.

Next we are telling forge that this is a registration event, so it knows I'm trying to register items.

The next class is where I get lost. Tbh I don't know why it's there but that's what tutorials told me to do, they didn't explain it ?  I think the name is important?

We're then telling forge, ok this is the part we're registering.

We then open a method to contain all the items being registered.

Then we say: register all of these

Then we say what we want to register and where extra information on these items can be found.

Then we are creating another method which returns a section of code which would be the same for each item, meaning I don't have to add that on each time so it saves space.

10 minutes ago, JetCobblestone said:

I also import the item list I have, so it knows the data for the items which I'm trying to load.

`itemList` -> First, you should never name a class using lowercase as the start. You should read this: https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/java-naming-conventions/

I then start the actual code by opening a public class, so that it can be accessed by the main.

If you're in the same package, it doesn't need to be public, but public is good for other reasons.

I then set the variable modid, so that I can easily change the name of my mod if needed. I did this in the main, but I couldn't seem to access it from there in this class, despite it being public.

Then you didn't actually reference the field, you need to understand the basics of referencing fields from other classes.

I then open a public static void method so I can call upon the code in my main programme. I set it as static, as nothing in it changes, and as a void as it returns nothing, just registers the items.

is is class... oh wait no,  you're talking about your original code. You can't have a class inside a method. Also, 'static' has nothing to do with 'nothing in it changes', it is a access modifier, it means that you don't need to have a instance of the containing class to refernece the method/field. You can call it directly.

Next we are telling forge that this is a registration event, so it knows I'm trying to register items.

Yup, this will automatically scan the annotated class and register everything to the event bus. Making every annotated event function inside be called for the proper event.

The next class is where I get lost. Tbh I don't know why it's there but that's what tutorials told me to do, they didn't explain it ?  I think the name is important?

THIS IS A PROBLEM! Stop copy/pasting code from 'tutorials' if the 'tutorial' doesn't teach you WHY the code exists then it's a horrible tutorial and you should not use it.

The @EventBusSubscriber annotation goes on classes, it then scans the entire class for any static method that has the SubscribeEvent annotation and automatically adds them to the eventbus specified in the EventBusSubscriber annotation. That annotation can go on ANY class, it doesn't need to be a class inside a class. So you could simplify your code a lot.

We're then telling forge, ok this is the part we're registering.

Good, that's what SubscribeEvent does yes.

We then open a method to contain all the items being registered.

Then we say: register all of these

Then we say what we want to register and where extra information on these items can be found.

Why do you have 'itemList.hair_fibre =' ? What does that do? Why are you doing it?

Then we are creating another method which returns a section of code which would be the same for each item, meaning I don't have to add that on each time so it saves space.

This one is a little weird, you're making a helper method, that is being used in a inner class, in the parent class... Why are there so many damn classes in this file!

Overall, I think you should look into learning some of the basic standards and practices of java coding. Namely access levels, how to reference things from other classes, what a nested class is. As well as the standard naming scemes, as if you ever post code for others to read, following these naming formats allows the reader to understand your code structure from any line.

You also have not shown me anything the explains why you are trying to call anything from your 'main' code. Everything is done for you. Thats the POINT of the @EventBusSubscriber and @SubscribeEvent 

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

29 minutes ago, LexManos said:

`itemList` -> First, you should never name a class using lowercase as the start. You should read this: https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/java-naming-conventions/

If you're in the same package, it doesn't need to be public, but public is good for other reasons.

Then you didn't actually reference the field, you need to understand the basics of referencing fields from other classes.

is is class... oh wait no,  you're talking about your original code. You can't have a class inside a method. Also, 'static' has nothing to do with 'nothing in it changes', it is a access modifier, it means that you don't need to have a instance of the containing class to refernece the method/field. You can call it directly.

Yup, this will automatically scan the annotated class and register everything to the event bus. Making every annotated event function inside be called for the proper event.

THIS IS A PROBLEM! Stop copy/pasting code from 'tutorials' if the 'tutorial' doesn't teach you WHY the code exists then it's a horrible tutorial and you should not use it.

The @EventBusSubscriber annotation goes on classes, it then scans the entire class for any static method that has the SubscribeEvent annotation and automatically adds them to the eventbus specified in the EventBusSubscriber annotation. That annotation can go on ANY class, it doesn't need to be a class inside a class. So you could simplify your code a lot.

Good, that's what SubscribeEvent does yes.

Why do you have 'itemList.hair_fibre =' ? What does that do? Why are you doing it?

This one is a little weird, you're making a helper method, that is being used in a inner class, in the parent class... Why are there so many damn classes in this file!

Overall, I think you should look into learning some of the basic standards and practices of java coding. Namely access levels, how to reference things from other classes, what a nested class is. As well as the standard naming scemes, as if you ever post code for others to read, following these naming formats allows the reader to understand your code structure from any line.

You also have not shown me anything the explains why you are trying to call anything from your 'main' code. Everything is done for you. Thats the POINT of the @EventBusSubscriber and @SubscribeEvent 

Ok so first question, itemList.hair fibre it registering the new item, but is also telling it to look in the file itemList to look for what the item is.

And so what you're saying, the @ symbol is telling forge to read this file? Thanks for the tips

28 minutes ago, JetCobblestone said:

Ok so first question, itemList.hair fibre it registering the new item, but is also telling it to look in the file itemList to look for what the item is.

No.. No it's not.. it's attempting to assign a variable. It's nothing to do with looking into a file or anything. Please look into the basics of variables, fields, and what assignments are.

28 minutes ago, JetCobblestone said:

And so what you're saying, the @ symbol is telling forge to read this file? Thanks for the tips

No... @ is just how annotations work. Go look into what annotations are.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

Learning Java via modding is not a good method, as it will bring a lot of unnecessary confusions.

Please learn Java before making a mod.

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

1. Do not follow tutorials on YouTube, especially TechnoVision (previously called Loremaster) and HarryTalks, due to their promotion of bad practice and usage of outdated code.

2. Always post your code.

3. Never copy and paste code. You won't learn anything from doing that.

Programming via Eclipse's hotfixes will get you nowhere

5. Learn to use your IDE, especially the debugger.

The "picture that's worth 1000 words" only works if there's an obvious problem or a freehand red circle around it.

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

1. Read the EAQ before asking for help. Remember to provide the appropriate log(s).

2. Versions below 1.11 are no longer supported due to their age. Update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support.

13 hours ago, DavidM said:

Learning Java via modding is not a good method, as it will bring a lot of unnecessary confusions.

Please learn Java before making a mod.

I have good python knowledge and watched about 20 episodes of a good java tutorial, however I don't know I watched enough to get onto important things like class structure etc. I was hoping that it would mainly be different syntax, and a lot of it is. However, what I have found is that java is quite different. It's been very frustrating, but I feel like I'm learning a lot about java but also how minecraft and mc mods work by trying to make a modpack - something I've always wanted to do. I agree that there are quite a lot of confusions, but I'm knocking them out one by one and the response I've had on these forums has been really encouraging and helpful.

@LexManos I think I've made a lot more concise!!!!

public class ItemsLoader
{
	@SubscribeEvent
	{
		(
		);
	}

{
		return new ResourceLocation(FirstMod.modid, name);
	}

}

I didn't realise you could have the @Mod.EventBus... outside of a class, but I understand now that it's meant to go outside a class, thanks to your reply :D

Also I think you have a few haters :/

image.png.0ca2cf63e9bde8d8e3ece0dfe1ae9564.png

Don't know why though... you've been really helpful :D

Also, do you have any suggested improvements? Like for efficiency or smmin.

For example I don't know if there is a better way to do that helper method at the end, or if it's even advised.

I'm really happy I got this to work without copying code straight from a tutorial! I'm now really excited for this, as it will be really easy to navigate in the future.

Again, is it advised to separate everything into different classes for efficiency? It certainly makes code easier to navigate.

Edit: I only just realised ur the guy who makes forge lmao

image.png.93d42f272861179b335a2ab2e9c14866.png

Really nice to see somebody so high up in the community help on small posts like this one!

Edited by JetCobblestone
  • Haha 1

Lex has a lot of haters. He is blunt and tells it how it is, which most people don't like. Everyone has a run-in with him thats makes them hate him, just some hold that hatred, others let that hatred go and learn that he was helping but is tired of people who don't know what they are doing and refusing to do what they really need to do, usually learning basic java and basic coding in general.

The class you have there is as simple as it can get. For a single item the helper method isn"t really needed, but it becomes a more important resource when you start getting many more items since it will make updating the resource locations a lot quicker if something chages. Aside from that, I don't think there is anything anyone will say you can do to make that class any simpler or efficent.